The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

That's not entirely fair though. They redid Prime and Bumblebee for the 35th anniversary year, each with totally new designs. I realize that some people didn't embrace them, but they are new G1 molds whichever way you slice it. That's actually 3 in 2019.

• Like Like x 12
  2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Agreed. Same characters but you can’t discredit how they’re a G1 release.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land"

News Credits:
    Raiden? That’s potentially 6 new G1 MPs for 2020

• Like Like x 2
  4. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

By new G1 MP characters, I mean G1 characters that have not yet received the MP treatment.

We have a buttload of Optimus and Bee repaints, retools, and different mold designs across multiple MP lines. They still remain previously done characters.

So my previous point still stands ;) , Hound will be our first new G1 character since Sunstreaker. That's still 2 years between never before used G1 characters.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  5. SunSwipe5

Raiden wasn't in the original G1 cartoon. Until I looked him up, I had never even heard of him.

I was never a comics reader, and did not really have access to the Japanese G1 continuity growing up.
    So my knowledge of G1 and beyond, was limited to what was shown on tv here in the States.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  6. Prime135

News Credits:
    Eeeeh, I think it’s fair to count headmasters as original G1. I could understand not wanting to count masterforce ir victory, but headmasters was just Japan’s season 4. It used most of the same characters etc from season 3.

• Like Like x 6
  7. SunSwipe5

I didn't really have access to the Japanese continuity.
    I did see some of the Headmasters, and hated it.
    Personally speaking, I don't even count Headmasters as true Transformers, since it was about tiny organisms controlling large robotic shells. More Gundam than giant sentient beings, imo.

8. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...well, the japanese headmasters actually were small cybertronians, some of whom whom could also control/pilot larger transtector bodies to mingle with the big 'bots...

• Like Like x 4
  9. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Bro, just because you don’t count something as G1, doesn’t mean it no longer counts as G1 for anyone else. For me, growing up in the States, I also had access to JG1 and it’s a part of my childhood. I’d kill for an MP God Ginrai, MP Raiden, or an MP Overlord.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Prime135

News Credits:
    Bingo, basically minicons but with big exo-suits...I feel as though we’ve had this discussion before lol

Anyway, I mean feel free to count or not count what you like. In takara’s eyes however, they are doing 6 G1 molds.

• Like Like x 3
  11. SunSwipe5

Umm, I never said it doesn't count for anyone else, only for myself.

I've mentioned before, my absolute disdain for Headmasters. I've never knocked anyone else for liking something I don't.

If they ever do MP headmasters, I'll be just as happy for those who are excited for them, as I am for anyone else. ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  12. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...nah man, i hear you and i totally get it: i thought the headmasters were a stupid concept in '87 and didn't really change my opinion until titans return softened me to the JG1 concept with a broad cast of titan masters and mini-transtectors to swap out...

...i still think targetmasters made much more sense at the time, and don't at all care for non-headmaster characters being given the titan master treatment, but if i squint my eyes at look at them as cybertronian super-robots, yeah, i'll accept hasbro's recent effort to make a bad idea more palletable by mashing up headmasters, targetmasters, powermasters, micromasters, brainmasters, and even pretenders into a common mech-pilot concept: apology for the late eighties accepted, hasbro...

...i can roll with JG1 masterpiece figures as the continuation we never got stateside...

13. rendsora

rendsora Well-Known Member

Isn't Raiden a G1 character?

• Like Like x 4
  14. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm. I have the distinct feeling that if I had said in this thread a year ago that I think we'll get a MP Raiden, and used as justification for my belief "trains are popular in Japan," I'd've been laughed out of the thread. And yet, here we all are, facing the likelihood of a MP Raiden, scrambling to reason it out, and the best anyone can come up with is "well, trains are popular in Japan." Ignoring the established pattern of predominantly pre-Transformers-era figures in the line, glossing over the complete irrelevance of Raiden due to his exclusion by Hasbro in the '84 lineup, but when I suggest MP Skids because the Honda City is popular in Japan, people say I'm taking leaps, and it's unsupportable, and Skids is a nobody. And hey, I don't mind leaping alone, but I'm starting to feel like Sam Beckett here, a little bit.

If we're all here in December 2020 saying "well of course Swoop is MP-55, pteranodons are popular in Japan," remember I was here saying this twelve months (and a few years) earlier.

I'm envious, I never knew Japan's G1 was different from ours until I was an adult. It gave me a whole new aspect of G1 to discover when I got back into collecting, though, and that was fun.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

Here's the thing about triple changers - with perhaps the exception of Springer, they've always, always looked a mess in at least one mode (usually the flight one). It's been the case right from the start. G1 Blitzwing is typical: very good tank mode (apart from the tucked-in plane cockpit, but you could optionally hide that on a Masterpiece like Sunstreaker's engine) - but an absolutely shocking MiG mode that looks like a flying ice cream sandwich. Octane and Astrotrain were - and still are, fundamentally - both engineered as one long tube with fold-up wings, but it's proved impossible to make those tubes not be full of gaps and bits of the other mode sticking out all over the place. It looks beyond flawed. Broadside's plane mode is infamous as arguably the most compromised alt mode of all time. On all of them, the designers have had to end up requiring the different parts of the toy to be thought of more like Lego bricks - this orange bit here tripling up as a car front end and a helicopter back rotor assembly and robot feet, and not really looking much like any of them, but if you squint and use your imagination it sort of works.

(And it still continues to be the problem now.
    Look at the recent CHUG Astrotrains or Blitzwings, or the Broadside that came out not so long back. Springer is kind of alright but in reality that's only because the chopper mode is really just the car mode with a rotor blade stuck in the top; he only gets away with it because obviously both his alt modes are made up.)

The point is that I think TT are absolutely scrupulous when it comes to the Masterpiece line consisting of dead-on alt modes, and as an engineering challenge, I suspect it's simply not realistic to get a dead-on plane from a dead-on tank without breaking a) the bank and b) the laws of physics. And they don't compromise for Masterpiece. So I don't think we'll see those triple changers in the line.

16. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Re-reading your posts, I think your argument is pretty sound, but to be fair I also think you’re ignoring some of the other points about Raiden not being a definitive indicator of Diaclone characters.I’m playing both sides of the coin, but thought I’d share.

• Like Like x 3
  17. rendsora

rendsora Well-Known Member

Hmm..talking about Raiden. A friend once bought a mint complete G1 Raiden off the local ebay.

He arranged it for me to collect it on his behalf & passed me around 1K to pass it to the seller. He even gave me his blessings to fiddle around and combine it (since i helped him).

Suffice to say my impression of the G1 toy..it's a complex piece of G1 engineering with so many fiddly parts that you need to mess around with. It's not as simplistic as the other G1 gestalts. I stopped halfway from fully combining it..

So here's hoping the new version will be as complex but not as nerve wracking lol :eek: 

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Uhm, Takara just made a Bumblebee that turns into a super deformed car, and the Inferno mold has realistic details only in the cab. I think if Takara decides to make triple changers it's not unlikely that they'll give them toon accurate alt modes.

• Like Like x 5
  19. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Takara be crazy.

• Like Like x 5
  20. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    I wonder if this is just the tease for MP Raiden, and like to an extent Primal,Dinobot, and even 44 that he's farther down the line and development peeks will be revealed until they're ready for full reveal.

Still not dismissing he may be an $850-100 gift set. There are single figures that retail for that much, my guess there would be like Prime a really large window.maybe 8-11 months instead of the usual 6.

After seeing some art in the Generations book, Im leaning Arcee at 50/and Starscream at 52

• Like Like x 6