The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

I can't recall which figure was being released, but I seem to remember a TT designer interview with a mention of TB/Hoist being worked on. Something along the lines of trying to get them just right. Maybe this is the misunderstanding or the translation was wrong. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Maybe a year ago? Thanks!!

2. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Yeah, that was the translated rumor from earlier. It didnt help Hoist was seen in just about every shot in Grapples instructions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

I think both of them are on the instruction sheet for UW Devastator too, adding to the rumor mill. It was fun to speculate about, and for all we know they might still be in the pipeline. I doubt we'd get them so close to the mainline figures though. It shortens the list of possible upcoming carbots when you look at it that way.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

God, the pace this line moves most of the time, 2018 is easily recent :D 

With you there bud. I never really got the anger and enjoy all figures.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Goldimus Prime

Goldimus Prime Veteran

To further clarify: The person conducting the interview had specifically asked about how those two characters would be treated. The designer was responding to this prompt in the hypothetical, not revealing information about designs that were in progress.

In mistranslating the interview we'd misunderstood it to mean that the designer was describing something being actively worked on by TT, but it was instead a discussion of wishes.

Doesn't mean the Hilux bros won't happen though! I agree that the new Generations figure looks great and bodes well for a future masterpiece treatment.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  6. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Wait, there was a rumoured MP Galvatron? How did I miss that?

• Like Like x 1
  7. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

He's been rumored for several years. TCracker used to talk about how he was on the docket many years back and I think one 3P (or ex 3P?) employee who said he had inside TT info correctly said Tracks was coming along with Galvatron (though it's possible he mixed him up with Shockwave, both being purple). My hope is, and I think others here have expressed this as well, that after s1&2 figures start to wind down TT will revisit the Movie/s3 cast, maybe first with Ultra Magnus, Hot Rod, and Rodimus re-dos and finally start moving on to Kup, Arcee, Galvatron, etc. I really don't see how those characters are any less marketable than BW figures, though maybe I'm wrong.

I was thinking about reveal/release time frames and I think with the average reveal/release rate we shouldn't be expecting a release until 3rd quarter next year at the earliest. 44 Prime was teased in Feb '18 and finally released just over two months ago. Bumblebee was revealed in Feb of this year, scheduled for release at the end of Sept but was delayed till the end of Nov. Hound was revealed at a show in summer '18 and will be finally be released at the end of December. Lio Convoy was revealed in June and is scheduled for a late Feb '20 release. There's still time enough that we might possibly get a handful ("flood" in MP terms!) of releases at the end of '20 or be in for another drought.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Trailbreaker/Hoist would finish up the Season 2 cars though, besides Skids (unlikely to be released?). It would be nice to place an official Hoist next to MP Grapple, and also add another ark bot with TB.

I bet TT's Galvatron will look miles better than any other option out there. It will get peoples attention for sure. I most curious what deco they go with out the gate though. TT is funny with their purples sometimes, case in point... MP Shockwave and Legends LG23 Galvatron.

I agree people misinterpreted that interview, but didn't TB77 say he knew something about Trailbreaker/Hoist? He's mentioned knowing about a few... Jazz, Brawn, and a few others.

• Like Like x 5
  10. jackisking

News Credits:
    I think TB/ Hoist and Skids getting made have about the same difficulty ironhide and Inferno did. For all we know the Japanese could rte Skids higher than Blaster or Astrotrain ,simply because of the presence the Honda had in the Diaclone line.Tgers been about 5 or 6 G1 Skids repaints, thats not happening with a character or design no one cares about.
    800px-DiacloneSkids.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  11. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Skids does have a lot of repaint possibilities! TB and Hoist also have some potential as well, but then we get someone like Hound or MP v3 or Bee v2 that really don't have a ton of repaint options. Re-issues, yes, but I can't see a Nemesis Prime at $350+ with just the cab.

12. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 When the Curtain Falls

What’s that little thing the Dianaut is riding on? It kinda looks like the Autoscout.

13. jackisking

News Credits:
    a scooter.

I don't think it's so much having tons of repaints options,its having ones that people won't to buy. I think they're satisfied if they can get a general releases that sells reasonably well and maybe get a mall exclusive later on at some point.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I continue to think Skids is the next carbot. I think Jazz and Mirage won't be next because of licensing delays, and I think Trailbreaker and Hoist will push the carbot price point above $200 never to drop back down, so Skids is next by default.

It's called a Motocompo and it was sold with the Honda City between 1981 and 1983. It folds up (or... transforms!) and fits in the City's baggage compartment, which was actually designed to hold it. The idea was, a folding scooter could make getting around in a crowded population center easier, especially if you had to park a fair distance away from wherever you needed to be.

• Like Like x 6
  15. jackisking

News Credits:
    I don't think they'll be that expensive after discount simply because of what they're competing with. TB will undoubtedly be more complex and have more accessories but your not selling a diaclone carbot for more than an extremely popular dx maxross figure considerably larger than him. Might they top out at 150, maybe but their pricing is pretty much in line with the market. It would probably take someone else putting out a $200 figure that was a similar size but even less complex or less accessories.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Chris C137

Chris C137 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I really don't get the Skids logic tbh. And especially that he would be the default choice. He was non-existant in G1. Literally Devcon had more screen time than him and I can't picture Takara ever releasing that. Sure he had a fun toy in the 80s and lots of repaint potential but that hasn't been a factor in the MP line for a long time. We've not had a lot of possible repaints. I won't complain if we do get him, I'll probably get him as well, but I just don't see the logic that he's definitely happening.

• Like Like x 4
  17. GearsRollo

I get your perspective, but he was technically an official member of the team. Arguably though, he’s a far more important Diaclone, so despite repaints being less of a big deal now, he’s still a reasonable guess, also considering that he’s the last proper car-sized character who doesn’t represent a licensing nightmare.

I agree, also based on the fact that TB and Hoist are quite a bit bigger than the standard cars. Certainly, the price is rising, and Mirage and Jazz will probably end up representing a licensing fee as much as anything else, but the Hiluxes are a fairly large pair, and their transformations will probably be pretty complex.

• Like Like x 2
  18. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    This. Money should well be made with MP44 now, a white version is easy money at this point and the hard work is just in the trailer armour.

I remain cautiously optimistic.

One word.

Diaclone. With that repaintability. This seems to be one thing Takara does seem to care about.

• Like Like x 2
  19. GearsRollo

Less so recently though. There have been a few times we haven’t seen one where a repaint would have appeared before.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I don't think they will use a white MP-44 for Ultra Magnus, partially just because I think the current MP is too tall. To get his robot scale right I think they are going to have to downsize the size of the truck.