The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Oh, I’m pretty confident part of the funding for MPs comes from back-engineering for new Generations figures. Just look at the Siege Sideswipe and Grapple. Those things are practically the Masterpieces with less parts.

• Like Like x 1
  2. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

Trailbreaker/hoist is the last ho-hum reveal ... minibots and leader-size bots will be the new standard that can both command a price premium going forward - I’m ok with this so long as they aren’t regularly charging north of $300 a figure ... at that point I cant deal with a MP-44 with disappearing paint and exploding knees ...

3. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    TCracker, god rest his soul, once confided in me in a PM back in 2013 that "MP-22, I was told was Galvatron." He was pretty convinced a Galvatron was all ready to go all those years ago. Obviously if that were the case, those designs have long since been abandoned cause that would never fit in with the line's aesthetics today.

Trying to think what other rumors were strongly implied....I remember someone was convinced we were getting Jetfire, and we got one in the mainline that seems like a simplified MP like Devastator did, so who knows. Wish Takara wasn't so damn cloak and dagger about all this stuff.

A bit of a moot point for me anyway, cause I've pretty much moved on from the line after Megatron and Sunstreaker.

It would take an amazing Rodimus Prime v 2.0 or a Galvatron to get my attention now. I don't even care to finish my Diaclone carbots cause they're not even gonna look the same as the ones I've had and loved for years.

• Like Like x 2
  4. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I had heard of Galvatron way back in the dark days before MP10!

In fact before MP9 was revealed I got Intel of next 2 MPs being Rodimus and Galvatron. They even said Rodimus would have 4 modes to turn between hot rod and Rodimus.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GearsRollo

So, I can’t be the only one looking at this new Earthrise Cliffjumper and saying “there’s a shocking amount of MP-21 in there. The arms, parts of the feet mechanism. The legs! Just like ‘Bee.

It’s been pretty obvious they’re using some MP design elements in the new stuff for a while, but is it possible that the mainline is the dumping ground for scrapped designs?

• Like Like x 5
  6. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Isn’t Hasui one of the Siege/Earthrise designers?

• Like Like x 5
  7. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I’ve been kind of disappointed with the way Takara has handled the g1 line lately... a few years ago they were ramping up releases where every month was either a new figure, a repaint, or reissue. I thought for sure, as they ran out of reissues to do, that they were gearing up for a steady release schedule of new g1 characters and new molds.

It has really died off, at this pace I don’t see how any combiner or sub-team is really even possible. I really think they are only going to go with the real car line as far as licensing will take them, and do a few outlier characters, until it is time to just redo new versions of previous releases.

I don’t like this feeling of this line kind of sputtering out of gas.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That year was a blip of increased activity, while it looked like they were ramping up they really weren’t. The line isn’t really slowing down, it just seems like it. We just had three new molds (despite two of them being new versions of Prime and Bee).

A year or two ago when this was a topic of frequent discussion, I put together a chart showing announcement dates and release dates of all MPs. I need to update it and make another post soon.

There are several G1 characters that have been in development for the past few years, they’re reveals and releases are just around the corner.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was kind of hoping we were hetting a diaclone release this year(Mirage or TB), but with them tooling another gun for a Hound repaint, I wouldn't be surprises if thats the diaclone release for 2020 and they go in another direction. Especially if, the if at 49 is a new mold.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    SIEGE/Earthrise is being worked on by Hasui Shogo, hence the similarity between some of his MP designs and the mainlines figures.

A MP Cliffjumper was listed the same day the listing for Earthrise Cliffjumper was leaked. So it's only a matter of time before we finally see MP Cliffjumper.

Many of the rumors from the 2012 timeframe never panned out, for example, we've yet to see Menasor.

• Like Like x 3
  12. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    probably b/c of the below- many of the seige figures have taken significant cues from the original post-MP10 line

• Like Like x 2
  13. GearsRollo

I’d put money on the MP Cliffjumper listing actually being this Earthrise Cliffjumper. It’s got enough MP stylings that it’s absolutely plausible that someone might mistake it.

• Like Like x 5
  14. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That Hoist looks so damn good, I'm really tempted. When I make an MP purchase, that's the last version I'll need of the character. I want TT to announce MP Hoist so I won't buy the Earthrise one. Same goes for Cliffjumper too. Hasui has done such a great job with the Generations stuff lately, the entire line feels like MP-Lite. We're even getting a Sunbow version for the Titan Scorponok Head.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  15. GearsRollo

I’ve got to admit, I hear you and have hemmed and hawed about a couple of Siege guys. There are so many little touches that elevate them. Quite impressive really.

I suspect we’ll see a new reveal soon though. We’ve got the double release this month, and then Hound for December. That means there’s a little gap up to LioConvoy and then nothing, and they seem to want to have something on the horizon lately. It’s be a good time to announce a Decepticon for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. The description in the listing suggests otherwise, but perhaps whomever made that list had seen the figure and thought it was an upcoming MP.

You can also clearly see this with Siege Sideswipe/Red Alert, who really feel and handle like Chug version of the MP.

Honestly, I've been tempted by Siege from day one precisely because it did things I liked in the Hasui era of MP. Things I miss in the current direction of the line aimed at super articulation (not my interest) and cartoon accuracy (never been my interest). I've finally made some tender first buys (like with the MP carbots the first one I bought was Red Alert), and I'm sorely tempted to just get rid of most of the MP's and go with Siege forward. The figures have a more chunky, solid feel, less emphasis on super articulation (that I don't care about) and far more fun to transform (which I do care about). Plus, there a lot smaller taking up less space (and cheaper and a more complete line up).

Currently I'm sticking with the MP's I've got, with the only wants a Trailbreaker and Blitzwing. (Well, unless a Blaster or Rodimus Prime is made, because of the characters.)

• Like Like x 3
  17. jackisking

News Credits:
    Pretty sure this month or at worse next month. They been pretty consistent on the schedule going back to 2018
    1st half 4 releases(MP40,3 reissues)
    2nd half 6 releases( MP41,42, 4 TTMall)
    1st half 4 releases ( MP20+,MP 43, 2 BW reissues
    2nd Half 6 releases( MP 44,45,46,47, Mall exclusive, and a reissue)
    1st half 4 releases( MP48, 2 TTMalls and a reissue
    2nd half( 49,50,51,52,53)???????
    It should be six announcenents for releases after June and one of those months end up empty.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 S’goden, s’doodis

I want him as well, but this is precisely why they probably won't announce MP Hoist so close to the Earthrise release. Come on Takara, stay true to your track record of surprising us...

19. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Huh...when checking the Toy forum, I was looking for the old thread and managed to overlook this one for almost two weeks. Like some others, it comes at a time when I no longer care nearly as much, but all the same, I don't know why those that are interested in two or all three can't just as easily check all the threads they're interested in. I don't get the complaint...it's not like one or two are being taken away. I would think having separate threads with like-minded people would improve the discussion, but whatevs. Maybe some people just enjoyed the bickering...I dunno.

Unless you consider a valid 'rumor' to include completely false information, there never was a Trailbreaker rumor, only a Trailbreaker misunderstanding.

I'm not sure how likely combiners ever were, but I don't know that pace is even the biggest challenge. They could ramp up the pace if they really wanted to...I just don't think they do. At least not the business side.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jackisking

News Credits:
    Not that, there was another he tell me, that we were getting TB/ Blaster with Dibobot. Which of course happened as much as Starscream and Galvatron.:) 

• Like Like x 2