The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Just a housekeeping note here, Staff has created a new thread for Masterpiece Beast Wars Speculation, found here: Masterpiece Beast Wars Speculation Thread

Please restrict speculative posts about the MP line in regards to Beast Wars here. For any questions/concerns about this, please pm a member of Staff. Thanks, guys, and carry on.

• Like Like x 9
  2. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    Cool! Maybe this thread could be renamed to 'Masterpiece G1 Speculation Thread' to avoid any confusion.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Dillpickle

Dillpickle This looks like cool place to kick it!

News Credits:
    So...

How about an MPM speculation thread?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Interesting never knew about Blaster. Though it was just a rumor by Notrab since he saw the Nightstalker mold. Also I remember TCracker saying he hadn't heard anything about Blaster being next anytime soon. Not sure he ever hinted Blaster on the boards.

5. HolyCulture

HolyCulture I'm so much a toon guy that I framed Roger Rabbit.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    On the boards... he did not. :)  He informed me that it was designed alongside MP-13 in 2012. I'm curious what happened there.

• Like Like x 3
  6. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    I imagine Hasbro as they were still working together on MPs. If I recall it was quite a push to get Soundwave done. You cant convince me otherwise that Hasbro Soundwave came with tapes because Hasbro couldnt see anyone dropping $30-40 on a set of tape figures. I imagine Blaster and his even less popular tapes were mission impossible.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think Earthrise Prime and the new Revoltech Prime are a sign of things to come with the inevitable Prime V4. Less seams, the new Revoltech Prime even manages to look clean in neutral poses yet can pose as dynamically as its predecessors. I think Prime V4 will simplify engineering a bit("less is more" comes to mind) while preserving the current standard of articulation but building upon it to enhance it and look cleaner and give off the impression that it can't transform at all when looking at either mode. I think that in itself will be its "MP moment", to truly be more than meets the eyes and be a robot in disguise, moreso than its 3 predecessors.

Seems like it might be a tall goal for now but in the years since MP10 up until now we managed to get a cartoon love letter in the form of MP44 that moves like a Revoltech yet still has perfect transformation. Maybe Prime V4 will be like that but even better and also incorporate some of the modern styling MP10 had.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Done.

• Like Like x 10
  9. crazyman

crazyman Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Oh my.

I like this.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    Ah, I love the thread title change.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Good to see separate MP spec threads - thanks, mods!

I'm thinking it'll still be a little while before the MP-49 is revealed (who'll hopefully be a G1 character) being that 45, 46, 47, 48, and 19+ are all still in the queue. I remember MP-19 Wheeljack was revealed just before Christmas of '13 and was released around Aug or Sept of '14, so maybe 49 will follow a similar schedule.

Btw, anyone ever suss out why 45 Bumblebee was delayed at the last minute? Best guess was 44's knee issue made TT want to do more qc control on 45, right? Just wondering if that was ever confirmed by anyone that had TT or factory connections. Maybe @Phamduc could weigh in?

• Like Like x 3
  13. jackisking

News Credits:
    Should have left it as THE Masterpiece Speculation thread. Yeah I went to THE Ohio State University.:lol 

• Like Like x 2
  14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, it's a curious thing to me that we see the Nightstalker mold that's clearly intended to be Steeljaw, but two years later (pushing 3 here soon) and we still have zero sign of a Broadcast (Blaster). I previously speculated that we'd have seen it by now, but gracious....

I mean, I still think it'll be done, but later instead of sooner seems to be the evidence in front of us.

I still think that creating a G1 line is much less of a focus for TakaraTomy now than creating a legacy-type A-hits universe. The Beast Era stuff seems to be the proof there. Hound is really the only misnomer to this line of thought thus far. I'm really hoping we get back on track of filling out this G1 cast, but it seems less evident that's a priority anymore, sadly.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The retitle was done simply for ease of designation. Let's just be happy that everyone has their own sandbox now.

• Like Like x 7
  16. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I’ve suspected for a while that a lot of characters have been designed at the digital level at least, and been thrown out or overhauled as the aesthetic has changed.

Nightstalker was also shown at a real dry spell across the whole MP line - I think when the MPMs were first being cranked out? But is was a pretty quiet year all around (2016?). I also think that TT would want to capitalize on a new Soundwave by putting up a Blaster to pair, with their repaints in the pipe. Their rivalry wasn’t as big in the West, but it got pretty big in the Headmasters cartoon, and I think a lot of Japanese fans would want Soundblaster and Twincast.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Chris C137

Chris C137 Has a faux butt-flap. That partsforms.

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I do recall (though I could be wrong in my old age) that Shogo Hasui did say at the time in a designer interview about MP-13, I think in one of the toy magazines, that there was some resistance within Takara (and probably Hasbro) on whether Soundwave would be relevant with his outdated alt-mode, so it's possible, even though he sold well, that they had similar concerns with Blaster and held off on releasing him even though he is rumoured to have already been designed. Then obviously as the MP line evolved the Blaster design probably became too out of sync with where the line was going, so any Blaster that we may or may not get in future probably won't be the same that was possibly designed back in MP-13s day.

• Like Like x 5
  18. jackisking

News Credits:
    Does fit the rumor of Hasui having workups/sketches of most of the Season1/Season 2 character. That was my point of by Nightstalker, it in essence may had been something they had from the Hasui days and decided to release with the repaints. The soundwave reissue getting alright to bad reviews is hopefully the sign this indeed was the last call for the MP13 mold and tapes.

• Like Like x 2
  19. chchchch

chchchch Weight Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Agreed, I'm pretty positive Nightstalker was just a way to squeeze some ROI out of the one of the otherwise unused designs...there's just no way they'd release it prior to the actual Steeljaw if it was going to be a simple repaint, IMHO.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The name change after all these years just fried my brain. I'll never be able to find this thread again.:confused: 

• Like Like x 3