The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And doubly confusing given Takara's recent assertion that they are "aggressively entering the adult collector market," or however they worded it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Specifically that quote was from one of the 2 engineers that design the Diaclone Reboot line. I had just assumed that it went for MP too because the two lines seem to be following similar paths.

I certainly hope they don’t sow down haha

• Like Like x 2
  3. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    I dont think that will happen, relatively speaking were on tge same schedule as lasy year. By the time got to 44 we had
    1BW mold
    1G1 mall exclusive
    1 G1 repaint ( general)
    2 BW reissue.
    1 BW repaint
    1 mall exclusic BW
    1 mall exclusive G1
    1 g1 reissue
    Theres a good chance after May we get hot with a release schedule similar to this year.
    3 g1 molds, maybe a Dinobot reissue at the end by the year, a general release repaint( Lio Hound, Cliffjumper?, or Prime) Maybe a Tracks plus late 2020/ early 2021.
    I kind of wonder if they will try to cram Soundwave and Starscream in the same window. Maybe a Megatron reissue or Black/ Silver repaint to go with them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah, I don't think I entirely realized that... well, I said that upcoming "new Raiden project" was probably coming under Diaclone Reboot... a new Raiden certainly fits the description of "aggressive..."

• Like Like x 2
  5. jackisking

News Credits:
    Was thinking about a larger Rumble/Frenzy for a Soundwave 2.0 and took a good look at the MMC tapes, and as nice as having a larger size is, they are way to big. Going by the scale scale chart youre being overly gracious saying Rumble comes near the top of Soundwaves knee let alone anywhere near his waist. I wondef if originally Hasui wanted the tapes to match their G1 toy counterparts. Between the current tapes and the MMC offerings is probably the ideal size for the cassettes. If steeljaw was too small with the regular tapes, that mold definitely wouldn't work with molds upsized 15-25 %. So if we ever got them scale would roughly follow: Reflector= Brawn , Bee=Insecticon, lastly cassette bots.

• Like Like x 2
  6. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

I think the cassette figures could stand to be a little bit bigger despite animation inaccuracies. Remember, Rumble is supposed to be the same size as Sparkplug based on the Sherman dam scene but that would make the new MP44 humans too small. I just throw scale out the window at a certain point and try to enjoy the figures for what they are. I like the scale size you mention at the end of your post about minibots, reflector and insecticons and their relative sizes. That seems about right to me.

• Like Like x 3
  7. jackisking

News Credits:
    Yeah, the cassette bots now are too small, they should be inbetween those and the MMC tapes buy still smaller than a minibot. if you go by Rumble flicking Spike when he's trying to save Hound they should be about human size. If you go by Rumble stealing the car to make Dragstrip they are quite a bit bigger than normal human size.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

I can’t see them changing the size of the cassettes now. We’ve still got Blaster’s to go and we know that Steeljaw will be the same size as the others as we’ve already seen Nightstalker.

9. CryptiniteDemon

CryptiniteDemon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Through the back door surely.

10. jackisking

News Credits:
    Being we know Takara starts planning 1-1/2 to 2 years out. The fact that we are just about 2 years away from the Nightstalker release, Im not putting too much faith in basing anything on it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Smokescreen1980

Disagree. You don’t spend the money on constructing a new Masterpiece mould and then not get absolutely everything you can from it.

12. HolyCulture

News Credits:
    Actually from SEVERAL sources they’ve done exactly that more than a handful of times. Jazz and Blaster were designed back when Tracks released apparently but a new approach and design team was shifted in and the line’s sudden jump with sales caused TT to scrap them all together.

there’s other examples as well with Hound getting his entire shoulder armature scrapped, and Sunstreaker not getting the license as they had hopped so they went back to incorporate a real Lamborghini mode to secure the license.

This is all really interesting tidbits to me, and I really wish we could get some solid answers like these in some interviews. It would help a lot more than some guy on the internet saying ‘this is what I heard’.

Edit* ah the main point you made was losing money on a mold. A mold is made last. The toys were designed with CAD files, and reportedly there were a few 3D printed promos. Similar to Haslab Unicron. We all got to see that toy and there wasn’t a mold made for it at that time. It was also 3D printed and hand painted. All the ones we saw on display around the world were.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 11
  13. Furyan

Furyan Furyanicon

News Credits:
    awesome thanks for that outlook on things,interesting to me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Smokescreen1980

Yeah you kind of anticipated my reply with your edit there!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

You can make the cassettes ticker. SW 2.0 and Blaster can be compatible with both cassette sizes

• Like Like x 3
  16. HolyCulture

News Credits:
    That’s a very good observation. I like it, and fully subscribe to this probability.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Nightstalker does sit out on a limb by himself, I would not have expected to go this long without any signs of a Steeljaw. I wouldn't be surprised to see Blaster announced next though, then shortly thereafter a new Soundwave (perhaps just a plus version).

18. jackisking

News Credits:
    Nightstalker seemed like a leftover they had, that they were going to use to sell the no-name tapes looking back in hindsight. Honestly, I dont think they sold that well , they were easily available on yahoo jp for less than MSRP. The last Soundwave reissue could mean he's coming though , but we're halfway through 2020 schedule at this point.

I guess they could run with him and Starscream and probably Dietrus as the diaclone/carbot repaint like they did with Cordon in 2018. Would the possible 3rd slot be his tapes or would they be a 2021 thing. I rather see a minibot versus tapes personally if we did get a 3rd new mold slot

• Like Like x 1
  19. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Just a housekeeping note here, Staff has created a new thread for Masterpiece Beast Wars Speculation, found here: Masterpiece Beast Wars Speculation Thread

Please restrict speculative posts about the MP line in regards to Beast Wars here. For any questions/concerns about this, please pm a member of Staff. Thanks, guys, and carry on.

• Like Like x 9
  20. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    Cool! Maybe this thread could be renamed to 'Masterpiece G1 Speculation Thread' to avoid any confusion.

• Like Like x 8