The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I've been thinking about Cliffjumper. What are the chances that his crazy custom spoiler will be interchangeable with a stock spoiler without partsforming, just like Sunstreaker's massive engine intakes? I'll bet Porsche is being just like Lamborghini with the "We'll agree to license this if it can be displayed exactly like the real car."

We need to be prepared for ~¥15000 price tag on this guy.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Forget that. Just reveal both Cliff and Jazz and be over with the whole Porsche problem.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Is that possible, he would scale with Bee who's about the size of 44's jetpack, don't think it's really enough room to do a Sunstreaker, unless he keeps the roof as his chest. Which I doubt as he Bee and Windcharger were the smaller minis, they would want to keep that proportional look for those 3.

4. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I don't see an MP CJ being much more than MP45 Bee, 80 to 90 USD on AJ.

Now an MP Jazz, I can see HIM being somewhere between 110 and 125 USD on AJ.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    It's Takara, anything is possible :bowdown: 

• Like Like x 5
  6. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Porsche seemed fine with the big chunky spoilers on these ChoroQ cars by Takara-Tomy…

FB495788-9162-4383-A767-13AF2ECD0F22.jpeg B553526A-E96F-4B71-89F6-F11D82C56D35.jpeg

… solely based on that, MP Cliffjumper will probably have his custom spoiler without an alternate. Though, I suppose it’s possible they could go with a swappable one.

• Like Like x 2
  7. gigtigre

gigtigre Well-Known Member

I don't need cars to be officially licensed or to have a realistic alt-mode. Yes, the line could become even more diversified but we even have a superdeformed bee and that was not thinkable till today so for me it is better to have a non licensed porsche-lookalike Jazz or Cliff than not having them at all.

A swappable front/chest for ironhide and ratchet plus versions would be a great idea! No more beer belly for them! also they could make the samourai side skirts detachable

8. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Ah cool. (I always forget those things are things.) I was trying to help them get a Hubcap out of the same mold, but if the wacky spoiler is copacetic with Porsche and with Hubcap being a non-show character, maybe they won't go that far.

• Like Like x 3
  9. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Don't you tease me.

Cliffjumper with Bee v2's stature and articulation...... Dayum.

Edit - if it is shown this weekend I bet Bee v2 sales spike. Could be a canny move on behalf of Takara delaying him.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  10. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    What I would want (and what they won't do, since it's not cartoon accurate) is an integrated sled. It's the only thing they could do that would make a redo worthwhile. Maybe years and years from now. They do seem to be committed to getting cartoon-accurate and toy-accurate versions of the characters out of the same mold.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

This thread would explode with delight if MP Cliffjumper and Jazz come to fruition. The 3P CJ offerings are OK, at best, and while there is a good 3P Jazz, it could be better.

• Like Like x 2
  12. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I'd sell my Grand Max and a few MP extras, just to finance 3 MP Jazz and 2 MP CJs if they were announced back to back.

• Like Like x 3
  13. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Agreed. It's kind of weird that FansToys hadn't taken a crack at these two. I wonder if they speculated that they would eventually be made officially, too. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  14. Maglite

Maglite Well-Known Member

FansToys teased their version of Cliffjumper with a silhouette when they posted color pictures of their Brawn, I believe. So there'll be another option if the official doesn't pan out, I guess. I hope it does, though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Building off what @HolyCulture said I'd love for MP49 to indeed be Cliffjumper, would also make for an incredible paring on Hound and a future Mirage.

I'm going to speculate something super left field as MP50.. G2 Tank Megatron.
    We've got a big bad guy like every year and he would fit in the BWII world alongside Leo Convoy.
    Personally not in my parameters of interest but I can see him happening someday. All the Megatron figures thus far have appeared to do very well!
    My best friend at school had the original when we was like 7 and although he is not a fan, he would probably buy that figure in a heartbeat..
    The timeline puts his figure in the BW age category yet opens the market up abit for a different type of fan.

I'd certainly prefer one of the more conventional guesses for MP50 however.. Jazz, Galvy etc.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Looks like Bumblebee is beinh delayed to fix a loose backpack problem.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    I think if Cliffjumper is a thing, they kind of have no choice but to follow up with Jazz/Meister. The assumption was always licensing, if it's not now then they really have no excuse. Personally I'm kind of hoping for Trailbeaker or Mirage, more TB since he's the last from the initial 5. Add in some gimmicks like being all in one with his laser arms and scanners, another sparkplug,and a gang of blast effects, he wouldn't make a bad #50.

Also so could see Soundwave 2.0 hurtling everyone with a massive layout and price tag like 44. Soundwave and his six redesigned cassettes, blast effects, Energon cubes, mini Soundwave with ravage, Megatron gun, maybe alternate heads for Soundwave a more rounder vs angular one.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Chris C137

Chris C137 Has a faux butt-flap. That partsforms.

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    If they've got the Porsche licence for Cliffjumper (if he's even happening, we still don't know) then I would imagine you're right and Jazz would follow soon after.

A Soundwave v2 that includes all his cassettes at MP-44s price is probably quite reasonable given modern collectable figure pricing. Soundwave himself I imagine wouldn't be as complex to engineer a toon accurate look but add in the cassettes (I've no idea how they could make them more accurate without upsizing them to give more real estate to design with). £330 would suit me for that package.

I think when people are getting frustrated at the price jump in Transformers figures we have to remember this is across all franchises. Yesterday I was in Forbidden Planet and they had teenage mutant ninja turtle figures the size of a carbot for around £70. Now I know Forbidden Planet tend to charge a bit more, but given they look like probably the most simple action figures to engineer I've ever seen, lacking complex joints, designs or paintwork, a current MP carbot at £100-120 seems like a bargain in comparison when you consider the design, engineering, paint, joints, accessories, increased play factor of having a robot and a vehicle mode etc.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I'm not assuming anything here about Cliffjumper yet, I also am hoping the rumor pays off. That said, I am a little sad that, IF Cliffjumper happens, it's not happening a few years ago, when redecos were plentiful, because you could do so much more with him than even Bumblebee (yellow and MC blue, Hubcap, G2 Hubcap, Tapout). At this point, beyond maybe Hubcap, I doubt much would be made. Third parties aren't exactly embracing these options either (XTB did Hubcap, but no G2 Hubcap or anything else, despite cranking out other G2 stuff) so it's not like a dork like me that wants these options available can turn elsewhere in the meantime.

I figure G2 Megs is the only other plausible original G2 figure to get a MP, after Laser Convoy. Because Convoy, CR Laser Convoy, blah blah for him. While I would expect his odds were much less likely when the past was faster, the shift to fancier, premium attempts at characters with a slower pace may help G2 Megs' odds a bit more, as like you said, he could be a given year's big villain, dip back into that Megatron well with something Hasbro could actually sell too, maybe be a companion to a G2 Convoy from MP-44, crank out a Megastorm (especially if Takara's hesitant to do BWII Galvatron) down the line. I don't know if I'd predict it, but I could talk myself into it happening.

While I agree that price jumps are affecting more than just this line (Figuarts' SS renewal line is nicer than the standard SHF, but typically offers less accessories for more than what people used to pay, Generations & Movie TF lines have either shrunken or doubled in price depending on how you look at it, plenty of other lines are remaining the same or increasing in price while losing bang for their buck), there still comes a point where people decide price jumps are too much and bail as the line is less attractive at those prices. TF die-hards will stick around (bitch and moan about it, but stick around for the most part), but casual fans who just want something cool to put on a shelf or their desk? Car enthusiasts who are down for a transforming, licensed car, but not when it shoots past 10000+ yen/$100+? Transformers is not the biggest franchise in the world, and there's always the risk Takara prices themselves out of adjacent markets while antagonizing their die-hards. When people reach the point that they figure it's better to just not buy these things, it can be difficult to get them back, especially if prices aren't adjusted.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

When MP-01 was released in 2003 and in 2004 as the 20th anniversary edition, I was sort of convinced we would get a G2 Megatron to accompany him. It made all kind of sense: a Megatron to fight Optimus that was not a gun (Hasbro), it could be released for the 10th of G2, TT could release it as Megastorm (10th anniversary of BW2), it could be repainted into several figures (Megatron, Megastorm, G2 Archforce, RiD Bludgeon, RM Reverse Convoy). It made all kind of sense, but it didn't happen.

And although it would make me very happy to get an MP of that mould, be it Megatron or Megastorm, I doubt it will happen. Even for a BW2 release: I think they'll make BW2 Galvatron if they're going to make a bad guy for Lio to fight.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 2