The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Brawn's name in Japan, a la Convoy, Bumble, Lambor, etc.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Ah, thanks! I had no idea he was called that. :) 

• Like Like x 6
  3. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    Learn something new every day.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Random thought (that may admittedly have come up here before, I'm not claiming it's that original) - Suppose the lack of a Blaster and MP-13+, and growing expectations of a Soundwave V2, have helped fuel any "delay" in doing Blaster? I figure, if a new Soundwave is made, new cassettes will also be made, maybe a bit like the MMC cassettes in that they'll be a bit bigger, give Takara a bit more room to maneuver design-wise, and be less fragile (Ravage). Yet if Takara has a Blaster on deck, he's presumably been made with MP-13 and his cassettes in mind, so Blaster and the Autobot cassettes would still need to be redone anyways to be compatible with a new Soundwave and cassettes going forward. If Takara's even thinking of doing Soundwave again in the next few years, why bother doing Blaster now or anytime soon, especially when Soundwave makes more sense to "debut" a new cassette format for MPs?

I always find the difference in names interesting. Some are barely different (Ramhorn/Amhorn, Devastator/Devastar, Shrapnel/Sharpnel), some tie into what they transform into (Mirage/Ligier, Cosmos/Adams), while others presumably require knowledge of Japanese to figure out where they come from (Hook/Gren, Huffer/Drag).

It makes the names that are no different (Starscream, Superion, Eject, Thundercracker, etc.) a little less unique for me, as odd as that might sound.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Was the knee issue a design flaw or a QC factor? Or is it both (which I think is what MP9 had as well)

The biggest wild card in all of that is the fact that a Steeljaw exists and has a release that's been completely exclusive and has see the regular release as it's original character. I would think Takara has had a blaster planned to go with Soundwave and that they had at least until recently still planned to use the same tape gimmick. Then again MP36 was sort of a "finally" in that it was THE Megatron to go with MP10 and then MP44 happens anyway to with Megatron better. I do wonder if they would do larger cassettrons or if they'd even go so far as to still do them at actual mini cassette size but better.
    I kinda feel that. Meister and Jazz have always been a nice pair of equally fitting names as has Blaster and Broadcast.

6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think we may see MP Prime V4.0 for the 40th anniversary. Takara has been using Prime and Megatron as showcases for pushing the limits of their innovation. With MP-36/44 I think we've seen their messiest phase, so I think the next phase will be cleaner, yet maintaining all the improvements(increasing levels of articulation and "masterpiece moments" leading up to MP-36/44.

Main things I think MP Prime V4 and MP Megatron V3 will tackle:
    • Cleaner surfaces(less visible to minimal panel separation)
    • Faster transformation
    • Subtle movements between poses, something that isn't obvious on Hasui designs at 1st but is noticeable after posing(if that makes any sense, MP-10 in particular is very good at this)
    For this matter I also think Starscream V3 may end up being less complex to transform than both MP-44/36 and maybe even it's older MP-3/11 predecessors.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

Yeah I mean again, I just don’t get this need that so many of you seem to have for a new Soundwave. MP13 is exactly in scale, he’s got the right transformation, he looks bang on, he can do most poses etc... what glaring flaw does he have that means he needs redoing so urgently? It’s not like he looks out of place alongside the new Megatron or anything. I mean if anything Shockwave’s more of a problem as he’s mildly too short (not that I let it bother me, no siree).

When you look at the reasons for the other v2s:

Bumblebee - the first one didn’t look much like the cartoon - they had to pick a side and went with realism; now there’s the toon side covered too.
    Megatron - MP5 was wildly out of scale, and a rush job
    Optimus - well, it’s Optimus. It’s slightly different rules because of who he is. Plus V3 has been done as the perfect toon edition, whereas MP10 was from the “perfect hybrid of all” era
    Starscream - kibbly sword bits restyled, and actually coloured like he was meant to look, rather than, er, green.

All of these were problems that needed fixing. But what glaring issue does Soundwave have?

While I am certain that TT will do everything to get the most out of Soundwave - and Blaster too - the way they can do that is by cleverly milking the cassettes, not by putting a ton of R&D expense into building a new mould of a character I reckon most buyers won’t feel the need to upgrade to. To not do so would be to leave money on the table. The genius is that people who don’t even want a recoloured MP13 get it anyway because they want the cassette. So the direction I think they will go with the cassette holders is:

Soundwave + - white rather than silver arms etc - probably with Overkill

Blaster - will come with Eject or Rewind

Autobot cassette 2-pack - will come with the other one of Eject / Rewind, plus Steeljaw

Twincast - will come with Ramhorn.

That’s the way to make more money. Remember that developing a new mould is by far the main expense involved in all this. Far more profitable for TT to make as much as they can from the existing one, by putting it out over and over again and getting people to constantly come back for another bite because there’s a different cassette in there.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  8. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    And that'll be the very last. The G1 generation will be aproaching/in their 50's and a 300+ dollar toy will most likely low on their priorities by then.

So When's the next show? Hoping Galvatron and/or Blaster with v2 Soundwave. Starscream will give me some breathing room.

9. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 Fully vaccinated and ready to party!

Hopefully e-tailers will start offering AARP discounts by then so we don't need to decide between our Transformers or our daily meds!

• Like Like x 5
  10. crazyman

crazyman Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    If anything the only flaw I see is the blank space he has in the back for his alternate mode. But that's pretty minor imo. I see ppl mainly just say "he's old", which seems common alongside Sideswipe compliants.

Only other arguments I've seen for 2.0 not mentioned:

Ultra Magnus: Better Articulation
    Grimlock: Not to scale
    Hot Rodimus: Doesn't fall apart ;p

• Like Like x 1
  11. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Who do you want to see as the next MP redo
    It came out pretty much how I expected, but those were on my list too.

12. crazyman

crazyman Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Oh Tracks is another, what a terrible figure.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

They want hyper articulation, G1 cartoon accurate colors, and all the surface detail greeble to be replaced with smooth panel line greeble...errrrrr, I mean get rid of the surface detail. :D 

Me, I don't need it, but I don't need much of anything from TT anymore other than Hound to see release. I'd really like a Brawn, too, but I don't think they'll bother...or do it soon enough that I'd bother replacing whatever I get to finish my MP collection. But I think he was iffy before as a low totem pole character...I doubt he makes the cut anymore when there are more prominent characters they can still do and redo.

14. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sadly, I'm sure you are right. Maybe not Megs, but definitely Optimus.

Agreed.

I think maybe we could see them mix up the cassettes and have one Autobot, one Decepticon, though.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  15. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's been a while since I've said this, but since I see it's still a popular theory, I want to restate my absolute certainty that Blaster's tapes will not be distributed such as one with Blaster, one with Twincast, and two in a 2-pack. Takara stretches out the time between original and repaint now to such an extent that I don't expect to see Twincast for a full two years after whenever Blaster finally releases, and I don't think we'll be waiting that long to complete the tape set. I still believe Blaster will either be a solo release with near-simultaneous releases of two 2-packs of the tapes, or (and with the skyrocketing prices and accessory counts I'm coming to think this option more likely) Blaster will simply come with all four tapes in the same box.

16. Chris C137

Chris C137 Costs less than an empty Fanstoys box.

News Credits:
    He doesn't have those sexy curved thighs from the toon :p :D 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Smokescreen1980

Oh right, well now I’m sold...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    See that’s funny, because everyone said the same thing about Prime and Bee before the new figures were seen, and even some afterwards. Once everyone got Prime in hand they realized the substantial differences and I think the same thing will happen to Soundwave in due time. Sideswipe too.

• Like Like x 4
  19. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    only problem with that is that Twincast is an actual character,not just a random or diaclone repaint. Repaints like that normally aren't spaced that far.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Smokescreen1980

Yeah see my point is that they DIDN’T. Don’t know if you were around but there were absolutely howls of outrage when Bumblebee wasn’t a chibi version. There has been a demand for a toon-accurate one - which by its nature is wildly different to MP22 - ever since the first grey prototypes were shown.

As for Prime, again, the point I’d make is that the rules are different for him simply because of the character he is. That’s why they’ve been able to get so much mileage out of the original MP10 mould. But there’s a reason we haven’t seen a lilac Evangelion Soundwave. As popular as he is, there isn’t the demand. He’s at the top level, but he’s not Optimus Prime.

And nor is Sideswipe.

Not having a go by the way - if you want these v2s then by all means I respect that - but what I’m struggling to understand is why people feel so badly that they’d rather have TT recycle an expanding roster of the same characters rather than bring in new ones. The last brand new, new G1 character mould was Sunstreaker. That was 2 years ago.

Yes I know Hound is coming. But let’s say you’re right and what we have next is a v2 Sideswipe and v2 Soundwave. Those plus then v2 Red Alert, v2 Tigertrack, v2 cassettes, v2 Soundblaster etc, plus all the Beast Wars still to come... you’re looking at the middle of the next decade before maybe a Trailbreaker or a Blaster drops. I just don’t get why people would rather have that - why it’s so important to have Soundwave articulated enough to scratch his arse or whatever - than have some new ones. It’s just a puzzle to me, is all.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 5