The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Everything here is speculation, nothing more. We all ASSUME that a Soundwave 2.0 is going to happen, going based on a lot of things with current trends, but aside from a select few that actually have any legitimate information are most likely sworn to secrecy. Even if they were to say anything about it, though, there's still nothing concrete to happen until Takara actually says "MP76 IS... SIDESWIPE VERSION 9, NOW WITH SELF AUTO TRANSFORMATION!!"

• Like Like x 3
  2. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think the only assumption we can make is a new MP Starscream (and Seeker repaints).

I don't think a new Soundwave is out of the question by any means but I don't think that's it's a given, either.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

I disagree. Soundwave will 100% happen. He’s one of the most popular characters, I don’t believe they have any licensing challenges with him? And MP-13 was a Long time ago and worse, he looks it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    Takara is allergic to new decepticon molds. Aside from Galvatron, everything remaining is relatively B list compared to unreleased season 1 and 2 autobots. Triple changers and combiners remain merely whimsical wishes.

That just leaves seekers and Soundwave, so seems like a good bet.

5. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    I think that was my idea of "spamming" a character on the survey. Pretty sure 20-30 of us spamming the same character probably has to be noticeable to whoever sees it. Keeping it simple like thst helps,since most of us dont speak Japanese and google translate isnt your friend. Probably avoiding guys like Jazz and Galvatron because yeah they're getting made, TT plans to do those characters, guys on the lip now though like Blitzwing or Reflector or Cyclonus a Dinobot not named Grimlock:D  would kind of need the push more than those. Maybe next month with Bee or Hound in December we can all decide on a character to push.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

I disagree and I’ll tell you why: the Soundwave mould is already good enough.

Is it perfect? No. But is it so flawed that all those people who bought Soundwave originally will feel a need to buy him again? I don’t think so.

For all this talk of v2s (which I’ll be honest, I don’t get anyway - I’d much rather get more G1 releases than yearn for a brand new Sideswipe mould because he chest is half a centimetre too wide or whatever, and I’ve already spent like £1,000 on seven seekers, I don’t want to do that again either if I can help it), remember that the four v2s that have been released so far are *wildly* different to the initial release:

- A proper Ultra Magnus with a trailer
    - A downsized scales-with-Rodimus Optimus Prime, and then this latest perfect anime one (and the rules are slightly different around Optimus anyway)
    - A downsized Megatron replacing the MP-5 rush job
    - A chibi Bumblebee to replace the real life accurate one.

The point is that Takara Tomy invested in making moulds for these characters because they knew people who had already got one version of that figure could be persuaded to go out and buy it again.

Remember that to recoup the cost of developing a new mould, Takara Tomy have to be pretty sure they’re going to get a decent spread of sales from that mould. The market for Masterpiece is hardcore, older fans with disposable income. They’re not marketing this stuff to casual parents vaguely buying something off a shelf - they’re selling this collectors with knowledge. Collectors who most likely already own a Soundwave that’s pretty damn accurate. He’s already the right size; he’s the right colour; he transforms right. I just can’t see it being worth Takara’s investment in a new mould. Unlike with the howling demand for a chibi Bumblebee, there’s nothing a new version of Soundwave could be other than a fractional improvement in engineering. And that alone is not exciting enough to encourage people who’ve also spent a lot on Soundwave (and Soundblaster!) to buy it, and so justify TT making the mould for it.

(This principle doesn’t just apply to Masterpiece toys, by the way. There’s been a slowdown in smartphone sales in the developed world in recent times because the amount of improvement between each version of eg an iPhone or a Galaxy is diminishing, and people are sticking with what they have for longer).

I think sometimes people get it into their head that Takara Tomy sit there with a mission just to work endlessly remaking existing Masterpieces towards an ever more perfectly crafted take on them, whereas actually they’re just a business like anyone else. I’m sure there’s a few people who would of course lap up a v2 Soundwave, but enough to make it worth the massive cost of making a mould? A just don’t think so.

But I wouldn’t bet against an MP13+. Probably with Overkill included, just as that extra incentive...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

I think Cyclonus is above B tier. I'd love to get a good Cyclonus MP.

8. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

He’s firmly B-list until recently when he became an actual character in the comics. Up to that point, he was just the space jet that committed his crazy boss.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Maglite

Maglite Porkchop sandwiches!

I'll be interested to see what happens with the direction they go in remaking characters. I think a new Starscream is a given because he's one of those popular characters like Optimus or Bubmblebee, so, as you suggest when talking about OP, the rules are a little different for him. I feel like Soundwave is one of those characters as well, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did a v2 for him. That's not really based on anything other than my impression of the character's popularity, however.

I love MP-13, but I also love MP-10. The differences between MP-10 and MP-44 are pretty substantial, in my opinion, so I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment that a v2 Soundwave would have nothing to offer over the v1. TT's current direction with sculpt, articulation, paint, and engineering suggests to me that a new Soundwave would end up being as different from MP-13 as MP-44 is from MP-10. Whether or not that would sell depends on if Soundwave is as popular as I've pegged him. Again, that's based on nothing really other than my own observation and perception, so I could be wrong.

I do agree that I want TT to make some new characters before they start dipping into new versions of the older carbots, even though I'd love it if they took another swing at the vans. I think the + versions are confirmation that all those characters won't get remade for quite some time, if ever. Again, I could be wrong, but Bluestreak+ and Smokescreen+ seems to be a pretty good indicator that that's the most of a do-over that the Datsuns are going to get, at least for some time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to think Takara's at least conscious of the vibe that they're just going to constantly redo certain characters. MP-44&45 feel like a cousin to MP-10&11; that was a confusing "What the fuck?!?" time too, but after that we got the MP Lambos and Soundwave, followed by MP Datsuns and redecos like Black Convoy, Tigertrack, G2 Sideswipe and Soundblaster. Now the latest two polarizing redos are getting followed up by three new molds and two redecos we've more or less been expecting to show up eventually.

I fully expect a Starscream V3 and Sideswipe V2 at some point, and V2s of Soundwave, Magnus (not even "white cab with armor" this time, just MP-22 but more posable), and Rodimus Prime are at least plausible. That said, I would hope Takara's not keen on antagonizing their fanbase and won't just go on a string of redos before getting to the next new character. I get cynicism regarding character selection, but for now, I tend to think any redos coming within the next few years will be sprinkled in here and there until another 5-8 years pass and Takara opts to redo another two major characters to signify another subtle shift in the line.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Lavender - the most evil of colours...

News Credits:
    This.

• Like Like x 4
  12. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd be very, very surprised at this point to hear about a Sideswipe v2 - especially as we got the + release AND MP-44's rocket pack is geared around being used by the original Sideswipe.

However, if the character hasn't yet had a + repaint I think it's open season for a new version. This means Soundwave, Magnus, Grimlock, Rodimus Prime and the seekers are all on the table. For better or worse.

As for the + line - I still expect the odd toy repaint, especially for the major players. Until we see a Sunstreaker + though I'm not assuming any of the b-list characters are likely.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have doubts about Grimlock and the rest of the Dinobot squad ever being made or remade, unless there is a sudden huge demand for them. I would only see Devastator being one that would drive up that demand. However I agree 100% @stevej that the rest of that list will get a version 2, oh and just because Sideswipe got a + version doesn’t rule out a V2 for him as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Soundwave 2.0 was said to be in the works by a reliable source but there's not much more information on it yet

• Like Like x 4
  15. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We're on about Sideswipe 2.0, again, huh? I don't see that happening. My take on the + editions that were made with Cartoon aesthetics in mind are that Takara considers them "good enough" and won't be touching back on them for a few more years in the least.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

That’s exactly what I think too. And also I don’t really get why so many people want it! Does it matter so much that his chest is slightly wider than on the cartoon?

17. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I keep hoping since we already have three MP Primals now and Cheetor with a Shadow Panther repaint that we might see a MP Tigatron and MP BW Grimlock eventually.

18. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Mine arrived like this.
    20190913_140148.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  19. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't get me wrong, I like Sideswipe as is. But he can definitely be improved on; especially with how they've been doing things in terms of articulation and design lately.

Tigertron will happen, I have no doubt. I think all the S1 designs will see MP form. Grimlock I could see happening with a slight retool of the head, as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  20. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's less Sideswipe for me, honestly, and more Red Alert and anything they choose to redeco it into. The +Alert is colored more accurately, but without major retooling for door arms (which all the toy-based redecos could use too), it'll never be fully accurate in cartoon or toy form. Redoing the Countachs offers that option up (and yes, if they can manage a way to shrink the chest down a bit while not running afoul of what Lamborghini wants, cool), plus upgrading posability and whatnot, as OP1983 points out.

As for odds, if the Countach remains a good seller for Takara, I don't see why they wouldn't go back to it at some point. We've gotten nine total Countachs since 2012 (not counting Asian market re-releases), and we're a Deep Cover, Red Sunstreaker/Spinout, and maybe a toy Sunstreaker away from being done with Countachs entirely (barring Takara pulling off the Stunticons anytime soon). There's only so much left to do with MP-39 and especially 12/14. If Lamborghini's still willing to play ball, why not go back to that well again?

• Like Like x 3