The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You know, on second thought, I wouldn't buy him at $500. No way. F that. Way too much, and I already have a perfectly serviceable Magnus. And he's in storage right now, ffs.

2. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, I feel like there are several camps here.
    1. People who are happy with MP-22 and don't want a new Magnus ever
    2. People who want a new Magnus that transforms the same as MP-22 but doesn't cost more
    3. People who want a toy-accurate white Prime in armor Magnus based on MP-44 but costs less
    To all of these camps I say: enjoy MP-22.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I disagree, there is demand for a new MP Magnus. There has been ever since MP-22 was confirmed to not have a cab robot.

While anime accuracy is the trend now, they already went that route. Plus the MP line has evolved to follow different trends over time. From 2012-2014 it was hybrid styling and from 2015-present it's been anime styling. I'm not ruling out a cab robot trailer armor Magnus nor a return to hybrid styling. 10 years is a long time. MP-09 was the start of a new scale and look how many changes occurred in the line from then until now. I don't think it's set in stone that if the MP line is still around by 2029, that it'll still follow anime accuracy.

4. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I'm in the "Happy with my current MP22" camp.

That being said, I would buy a V2 Tracks if they set his backpack a hell of alot more flush against his back, instead of the current chasm between the two.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I like my MP22 and Delta Magnus but still want a cab robot trailer armor Magnus and no I don't think it has to be a retool of MP44. I think we will get a cab robot trailer armor Magnus eventually between 2020-2021 with MP Rodimus Prime V2 and Galvatron before and after Magnus V2.
    I don't think Tracks would happen but I think there's still sufficient demand so I think it'd be considered. Compress the backpack and give it Sunstreaker-level poseability and I'm back in!

• Like Like x 1
  6. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

I dunno.

MP-22 without the butt-flap may be enough of a good incentive for v2.0 release to get...

7. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

Jazz please? Takara has the VW license correct?

Also, why not Trailbreaker/Hoist? They are JP vehicles. Don't tell me Toyota is giving Takara a headache when they gave the later the license for the Landcruiser Convoy a few years back.

Chevrolet Corvette and the "Knightrider" Pontiac Firebird TransAm are owned by the same company so why not MP Windcharger and Tailget chibi style? The license is/was there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Personally, I hope for a remodeled MP-22. New parts to make him thinner and more anime accurate. Massive articulation is the new standard so that’s a given. While I’d still buy a white MP-44 with a transforming trailer, I’d really prefer the former.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Despite the same ownership, it’s two different companies with different licensing deals. Common ownership doesn't equal common management.

Trailbreaker and Hoist I think are easy targets, and we’ll see them between bigger releases to fill out the schedule.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Don't focus too much on the licensing. It's not nearly the big deal a lot of people think it is.

Trailbreaker/Hoist: engineering nightmares. These two will be as complex as MP-44 and will cost $200 apiece. I have no doubt.

Windcharger/Tailgate: minor characters, there's simply no interest from Takara in doing them right now.

I'm down for Trailbreaker. I'll probably skip Hoist, though I'd pick up a red or blue Diaclone deco of him.

11. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:

Just cannot see it whatsoever man.. It goes against all the things that have regenerated the line into an award-winning series. Not following the Anime & parts forming is more a CHUG thing...
    I honestly think the majority of fans want standalone characters..
    Ultra Magnus being a white prime was a Dreamwave idea, Dreamwave doesn't even exist anymore.

I would personally hate to pay for a super expensive MP44 figure in white that is going to be hidden inside his armour 99% of the time... it a cool gimmick but in a climate where people cry that a voicebox has added too much to the cost of X figure, it just wouldn't fly far.
    Making him smaller than MP22 yet articulate like Sunstreaker with a MP44 core just sounds like too much drama.. honestly I think the only figures left that can cost anywhere near Prime and get away with it are Rodimus and Galvatron.

The line during them early periods was cutting its teeth and finding its feet, going through puberty into adolescence which it arguably found after MP32/33.
    In 2029 I don't expect the G1 line to be running in the same capacity at all, due to the target audience mostly being aged out. Armada, RID and the other lines will be the priority... I think the main S1, S2 & S3 cast will have been finished with collections retired.

I agree on Tracks, I don't see him being revisited anytime soon. Maybe one day after a V2 Sideswipe or something.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Chris C137

Chris C137 Costs less than an empty Fanstoys box.

News Credits:
    Whilst I do want a Magnus 2.0 (or 3.0 if you count MP-2), I just can't see it using a white MP-44 for an inner bot. Firstly as others mentioned you're starting with a £300+ robot, then adding a fully transformable, articulated trailer to go around it, and I don't think Takara would be able to charge for that. Magnus is popular but not Prime popular. Secondly, looking at the sculpt for MP-44, I just don't think the proportions would lend themself well to neatly tucking inside another bot. The curved, tapered lower legs for instance are a complete different shape to what would need to fit inside Magnus' legs. Another practical factor would be having a fully painted white MP-44, then having a fully painted trailer clipping onto that, you're going to have paint chips galore with parts clipping on and rubbing against one another.

What I think is likely to happen if we do get another Magnus, is an upgrade on MP-22. The cab will be resculpted to match MP-44s truck. This would give a similar sized torso to MP-22 which is fine. It would probably transform similar to MP-22, splitting and folding up, and they will probably engineer it so the back and infamous but flap tidy up better, with more panel folds etc. One thing I'd like to see, though I've no idea how, is the side of the torso to be red like the animation model even though the part that usually forms it is the blue part of the trailer. The trailer I hope will be scaled slightly smaller than MP-22 so that we don't get the super oversized, thicc Magnus that we got before, but instead one that is still a head or so taller than MP-44 and a little bit stockier but not overly so. Hopefully they can also work out how to engineer in better shoulders and a waist swivel on the trailer also.

I do think a white MP-44 will happen but will likely be a different release like MP-7-Eleven was for MP-10.

Lastly, looking at the paint on my MP-44 now, and just imagining a Magnus painted with that glossy red white and blue... I'd be so in for that.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Emperor Bruticus IV

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Exactly the same sentiments down to a T.

MP22 is so fun to transform, a genius design which is cheap.. he just falls short with some of those setbacks, picking up on those improvements would make him truly iconic. Could see him hitting a sweet spot around $250ish perhaps.

The white MP44 will probably be a Supreme or Off-white collab this time haha, those collectors buy ANYTHING with them logos on it, price not even being a consideration

• Like Like x 2
  14. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hey guys, please reread the first post for posting instructions. I've moved several posts to the Masterpiece Wishlist thread, which is the thread designated for us to post away on what we would like to see. This thread is for us to discuss what we think may or may not be made. Any questions, feel free to pm me, but this is about as simply as I can state things.

Ok, party on, dudes :) 

• Like Like x 4
  15. Emperor Bruticus IV

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Okay so we have seen MP Hound with the toy accurate gun.

No doubt this will be for Detritus .. wonder if that would drop around March alongside a MP44 reissue. A repaint and a reissue wouldn't be too unreasonable hot on the heels after Lio Convoy.
    I'm guessing that next G1 might drop-in April... would be a pretty smart time to roll out Cliffjumper to sit between Bumblebee and Hound. The hype train would go into overload, I'm putting my money on either Mirage or Cliffjumper

• Like Like x 3
  16. Maglite

Maglite Porkchop sandwiches!

Would you mind elaborating on both of these points? Apologies if you already have somewhere and I've missed it. I'm very interested in this perspective, since I was under the assumption that licensing was one of the big roadblocks to getting certain characters made.

As for Trailbreaker/Hoist, do you mostly mean because the characters look so different in bot mode?

17. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    But options. You don't have to put him in the armour. You could piece the armour around Galvatron.

Seems to be a few ppl dead set against the idea of mp44 in trailer armour but I don't buy the arguments against it. Especially those saying it can't be done from an engineering standpoint. You literally only have to put him in gerwalk mode and slap bits of trailer on him but the current mp designers are the kings of engineering. They'll make it sing and dance.....and probably talk. Minus the Peter Cullen licensing fees.

I also don't see Hoist/'breaker as engineering nightmares. Yes I'm sure they'll be more involved than the third party options but they've already shown you can have 2 distinct robots form the same alt mode.

18. Emperor Bruticus IV

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I
    I don’t think it’s anything personal, I think everyone would still buy it; it’s more a thing of just being unrealistic based on the current precedent.

Hasui couldn’t make it cost effectively with MP10, can you imagine the cost with MP44? Lol.

It wouldn’t be a trailer that turns into pieces like combiner hands and feet, nothing in the MP line does that. It would be a trailer that transformers into a hollow Ultra Magnus that fits MP44 inside like a onesie, so basically 2 robots.

There’s also no reference to this in the lore they are following which is the anime.
    I can’t imagine they’d put pictures up of the G1 toy or ancient Dreamwave comics on the back of the box to showcase the vision.

Tbh..Ultra Magnus just isn’t popping like that... the cost of this would make it seriously flop as a general release as I’m confident it would be in the $500 range.

If they do make him as armour please feed me all the crow pies so long as I can sip water in between, hahha :) 

• Like Like x 3
  19. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

To me, more than anything else, it just seems like an unnecessary cost where a total redesign would probably work more smoothly anyway.

MP-44 is a beast, but putting armour on an already legitimate complex toy designed to work a specific way would also require a lot of redesigning of joints. The arms and legs would actually have to extend out more to allow them to properly move in robot mode with the armour.

I think they could do it, but the results would just be better to do a modern version of the classic Magnus, as you point out quite rightly, who is his own independent bot who doesn’t just wear a big suit of armour. That said, other than the IDW version of this idea which I love, I’ve always found the white-brother-in-armour thing to be a bit boring, and it makes Magnus less special to just be an Optimus clone in a suit that has a mouth.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Second point first, about Trailbreaker and Hoist, yes. Their design will put to shame everything up to this point.

Now, on licensing: we in the fandom may have the perception that licensing is full of hassles and roadblocks or that it's prohibitively expensive and that's the reason it's rarely done in Transformers. But licensing is free publicity for companies, and so many companies want to sign licensing contracts to raise their brand visibility in other markets, and it's not used as a moneymaking tool. I've seen people theorize over the years that Porsche is asking a ridiculous price for licensing rights, and that Takara is either unwilling or unable to pay it, and that this is the holdup on Jazz and Cliffjumper, but it's not true. Licensing fees are not expensive, at least not for companies like Takara and Hasbro, and they will always pursue licensing if a real-world alt mode is perceived to add value to the toy or is a major selling point of the line, as is the case with Masterpiece. Obtaining final approval from the car company over a design for a figure just becomes another step in the process, and while it can create issues and delays, internally it's not seen as a "big deal," and that was what I meant when I said it wasn't the big deal we sometimes think it is.

"Nightmares" may have been a poor choice of words. I only meant they were going to have god-tier engineering on the level of MP-44, who I had a few nightmarish moments transforming for the first time.

• Like Like x 3