The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Toddimus

Toddimus Well-Known Member

That 85 character could very well be Blaster- which would go along with your theory about a V2 or + Soundwave.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Was just thinking that Ikkstakk was referring to carbots only. That said, outside of A-listers (and their repaints) the only G1 characters we've actually gotten have been carbots. So I guess maybe Blaster can just as easily follow the same pattern.

Kinda weird to think about. Naturally the Autobots are mostly cars anyway, but it would be nice to get Blaster, Perceptor, and some of the other 'minibots' like Warpath and Cosmos. Actually, I feel like either of those two could be just the kind of wild-card they could throw in as a Season 2 character. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like Like x 5
  3. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I suspect that the reason we’ve seen such a focus on the real cars (or even just real vehicles) up to this point - with the notable exceptions of key Decepticons like Megatron, Soundwave and Shockwave - was that Takara was really concerned with roping in as much crossover/broad interest as possible in the early days of the line. There’s a fair number of toy car guys out there who’d buy the odd Transformer for the alt mode, particularly if it’s licensed or accurate.

I think these days, though, with the higher end shift, there’s more desire to focus in on Transformer collectors specifically. Now, Takara may not have the same need to do characters with access to crossover markets. That could open up the characters being selected a bit more to allow for oddballs like Cosmos, or others who didn’t fit the old pattern of every second or third needs to be a carbot.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Toddimus

Toddimus Well-Known Member

Well, we have gotten a MP Grimlock and Bumblebee was not a carbot either- nor was Optimus Prime, Rodimus Prime, or Ultra Magnus for that matter. Blaster to me is pretty close to an A-lister although he is a B lister. He was very prominent in season 2 and 3, survived and was featured prominently in the movie, and he has a well known rivalry with Soundwave at least amongst fans.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Was thinking about the odds of
    1) Sixshot, he doesn't get much run as a popular Decepticon
    2) Skyfire, I think I heard somewhere that the Skyfire rumor was Seige Jetfire. Actually seems more plausible with MP44. A $300 Skyfire sounds as crazy as people willing to paying $400 for Phoenix
    3) The $1000 Nu Gundam and 78500 yen Unicron I think increases the fact well see a combiner....but also possibly as a gift set. A 100000 yen MSRP world out to 70000 withdiscount or less than Unicron with a 6-8+ window versus 45 days.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    That’s all well and good, but I don’t yet see any ‘shift’ that would imply things are about to change and open up to lots of new characters. I’ll believe it when we get someone like the Insecticons, I suppose.

Grimlock and Bumblebee are both A-listers (and Bumblebee for all intents and purposes is a carbot, he turns into a licensed VW), as are Rodimus and Optimus. Ultra Magnus is the only exception, whose made A-lister in a line of cars by the fact that he can store four of them.

Blaster’s pretty well-known, but he doesn’t have the level of recognition as Soundwave. I’m talking about very casual fans, who TT apparently are also trying to appeal to, based on the line so far.

• Like Like x 3
  7. GearsRollo

I’m not saying that there will be, simply that it’s reasonable to guess that the reason for the focus on real cars was a line-building tactic.

Think about it like this: what are things you’ve done out of necessity that you not longer need to? It takes a while to come to that realization because it’s a tried and true habit. At a certain point though, you have the opportunity to change it and not feel beholden to that practice, opening up for new opportunities. It’s a reasonable possibility.

Re: Blaster, there’s the fact that he plays on the classic Soundwave gimmick that anyone who knows and likes Soundwave could be tempted in with. Also, and I think more importantly, he’s very well known within Transformers communities, and to be frank, I think you’re underestimating how hard they’re leaning into the fans right now. They haven’t opened the floodgates yet, but I think that the sales of the bunch of announced but not shipped characters are going to drive some serious changes in this line soon.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Yeah I sure hope you're right. It feels silly that they're still so hell-bent on only appealing to 'casual' fans at this point. But the fact is the hard-core fans are gonna buy the mainline releases anyway.

Hopefully there is some kind of turning point now, where they're redoing this A-listers to bring fat cash, and so they feel they can be a bit more daring with the other characters they release. Any minibot at this point would point towards that. Just waiting to see it happen.

Not that I would be heartbroken if we only got v3 Starscream, v2 Soundwave, Grimlock, Rodimus and maybe Magnus, and the carbots like Mirage, Jazz and Trailbreaker. That'd be awesome, but it does seem like a given. Would be great to get more.

• Like Like x 3
  9. GearsRollo

Well, consider that what they’re doing now with the degree of design and engineering and the accompanying price tags is pretty clearly not for casual fans. They’re probably hoping to pull in design and 80’s junkies along with a bigger segment of kotakus. If that doesn’t open up a few less crossover-friendly characters along with some redesigns of older efforts, I don’t know what would.

• Like Like x 3
  10. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    You need the big guys to bring them in, but at the same time you need new stuff to keep them. I think they'll continue to mix like that. Being the design-production process takes so long, I wouldn't be surprised that they've set up an internal "roadmap". Where as I think the problem was budget before, I think it's more having enough time to fit characters in. We go back and forth about why they haven't done anymore TFTM bots and honestly it could be as simple as the budget wasn't there at the time to do the characters justice, look at the hiccups Hot Rod and Magnus have. Now they have budget, but now in those 3-5 years more popular characters need updates and and characters who also had to wait because of budget are getting done now too. I guess the next question is how they squeeze that stuff in while the money is there.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
  12. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think Rainmakers may even have an edge on Coneheads, actually. At least as exclusives...

But I'm not expecting them either, to be clear.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rodimus_Prime

Rodimus_Prime Protector

News Credits:
    Apologies in advance. I understand this is a speculation thread for MP, but are there any hints that the next MP will be a new version/rendition of Rodimus Prime?

14. GearsRollo

Considering that it looks like they’ve basically walked away from the 86-movie cast for the time being, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

The only 86 character to come out since the Beast Wars characters started was the repaint of Hot Rod with the Targetmaster addon. That suggests to me that they’re holding back for a while. Best guess would be that it’s because they either didn’t sell as well as BW, or maybe they were weirdly expensive to produce despite not requiring a license. Maybe both.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Rodimus_Prime

Rodimus_Prime Protector

News Credits:
    Got it. Thanks!

16. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeh for real, the less they have to retool the better the recoup costs. If any get made I'd lean on it being Sunstorm, however since those days of him being a prominent character in the Dreamwave lore are ancient history I'm doubtful.

I just want them to do the 3 core figures and a ghost version, Thundercracker with an offwhite face excites me.

So crazy we know the next 4 releases after MP44

49 or 50 being Starscream and Galvatron just seems to fit with all the planning that went down with Unicron.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

News Credits:
    Soooo any idea when in August MP-44 is being released? Time’s a tickin

18. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Release date is August 31.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    For future reference it's almost always the last few days/last weekend of the stated month.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Random, and it was already up on Hobby Search, but I noticed AmiAmi FINALLY put MPM-8 Megs up for preorder, slightly after they put up MP-48. Release date is still late August. Did other retailers (Amazon JP, HLJ) have it up already and AmiAmi was just late to the party, or do MPM preorders continue to go up haphazardly? I just find it strange how the MPM preorders have been handled in the past, and at least appear to be still (I don't see MPM-9 Jazz up on Amazon JP yet), while everything else seems to go up well ahead of time in Japan, including Studio Series.