The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You're trying to give Quaddy hope today. He loves you :) 

• Like Like x 3
  2. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The next show is September , I think? Maybe the same time as Bee's release. A reveal then makes sense, Lio goes up this month and we can expect to see his spread, so a reveal September and spread POs in October make sense with hopefully a March/April release.

I would expect more redos at this point. Takara just bought a new house and they don't won't to fill it up with the busted stuff they've had since college.

• Like Like x 3
  3. TF Collector

TF Collector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Call me crazy but I really don’t see Takara doing V3 seekers, or at least all of them. They released Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Acid Storm, Sunstorm, Dirge, Ramjet, and Thrust. I honestly don’t see a business justification to redo all of those... it’s too much risk when they try to sell them for so much. BBTS has had sales for the coneheads for 90 dollars and still couldn’t get rid of them. At most I see them redoing Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp but that’s it imo. Most of the cost is in the engineering, so standard seeker repaints can definitely happen, but each conehead I feel would be too much of a risk to reengineer each of them.... unless they were minor remolds.

4. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’m think you’re probably right. They have a whole new crew of fans that want all the characters by now too, and they’re definitely angling for more of the big spending collectors who demand more now.

It’s one mold to do all of the seekers, plus maybe some remolds to do Coneheads. From a business perspective that’s the most sound choice they could actually make if they believe people would buy a new version. Literally the safest thing they could do. Hopefully not right away, but I’d put money on it happening soon.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jackisking

News Credits:
    I think they would sell better than last time, hopefully the Japanese fans avoided them because they felt the mold was seriously outdated even with the nip and tuck of the coneheads. Price wasn't as much of an issue as its kind of funny how the MSRP for Thundercracker worked out to $126-130 US and the Coneheads were about $146 but sold for significantly more stateside:oops: 

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The 59th All Japan Model & Hobby Show is September 27-29. Yes, MPs have been revealed at this show in the past.

That was exactly the reason I avoided them. Even on deep clearance, I thought about picking them up, but in the end I said "nope, I can't spend money on this mold again."

• Like Like x 2
  7. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's the weekend MP-45, DA-38 and DA-39 release. Certainly some hype will be generated during that show. woohoo!!~~

• Like Like x 3
  8. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I think they will, mainly because they sort of half assed the Conheads, and they made Skywarp and Thundercracker expensive special releases compared to the widely released and lesser expensive Starscream. They probably knew for quite some time that a new mold is coming ... so why bother making proper MP releases of them in the V2 mold?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  9. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

To be fair, Takara proper didn’t do the Coneheads, that was Hasbro Asia (and you are correct that they are not quite right in their execution). I think Thundercracker and Skywarp were some kind of exclusive too, I know they weren’t a full regular release.

My biggest hope with V3 seekers is that they differentiate them a little. Obviously the bodies will be basically the same - the original 3 and rainmakers are all exactly the same body canonically, but they could do different facial expressions and accessories to help.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jackisking

News Credits:
    They didn't make them as expensive, that was my point earlier the seekers were about 14100 yen , I think that was $133 at the time of release, the coneheads were 15100-15400 or about $144. I guess it,was something HA and /or domestic sellers could get away with as prowl was 5800 msrp and 80 was pretty common for a carbot. Don't know if there was a discount though back then.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Do I need new MP Seeker molds? Nope
    Will I buy new MP Seeker Molds? Absolutely

Though I'm hoping we get more new G1 character MPs first.
    I can only pretend that MP Mirage is cloaked on my MP shelf for so long, and Prime CJ just looks terribly out of place.
    (Yes I have Sphinx, no I do not have Hellion or Toro)

For Primus sake TT, release the MPs of:
    CJ
    Mirage
    Jazz
    TB
    Hoist
    Windcharger
    Gears
    Blaster
    Cosmos (what? :cool: )

I have no doubts that you have grey/painted prototypes sitting under lock and key.

While you're at it, Deep Cover from a V2 Swipe (with his jetpack).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

That's also what I remember. I think Starscream was the only MP-11 released by Takara proper. Everything else was a Hasbro Asia initiated release (Sunstorm, Skywarp, Thundercracker and the Coneheads) or Hasbro (Acid Storm).

I think this is food for thought. Apparently TT didn't think Thundercracker and Skywarp would sell enough in the Japanese market to justify a simple repaint from an already existing mould (thus minimal costs). Only after Hasbro Asia requested them were they produced and sold as limited edition through TTmall or some other store.

It suggest that seeker repaints possibly aren't the money makers we think they are. And with a potential Starscream v.3 we have to question whether or not SW and TC are indeed guaranteed from TT, or will be more expensive Hasbro Asia versions again.

• Like Like x 3
  13. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they trod gently with MP-11 as MP-3/6/7 were still pretty fresh. Note that Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker did all get unique numbers for their pre-reboot releases.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    I think they went too far with MP-11ND, NR and NT to justify doing them again. There’s already a lot of new parts for each one. Though they could’ve gone a tiny bit further with a couple more new parts (just below the chest, and forearms) to really finish them off. Still, they fit in with the toon look (just about enough for me to justify their purchase, even if they aren’t much fun to pose).

They’re so different from the regular Seekers, I don’t imagine it’ll be simple to turn v3 Starscream into them. It was only 50% parts shared between Inferno and Grapple, it’d be even less between Starscream and Thrust. More parts, more cost?

At the same time, they basically get three freebies from one when it comes to Skywarp and Thundercracker repaints, so perhaps they will be willing to go to some lengths for v2 Coneheads. Either way, I’m ok picking up the MP-11N versions on sale, and if I have the chance to replace them in 6 years I will, if not - no biggie. Definitely wouldn’t hold my breath for them.

I think this time around it’s still possible TC and SW will be TTMall exclusives, but less likely (as in they could be mainline releases too). What I’d really hope for are some different accessories. Reflector for Thundercracker, maybe some flame effects, with some ‘teleportation’ effects for Skywarp. And booster effects for all of them, similar to Siege Jetfire.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, I think we'll see a v3 of the Seekers, starting with Starscream. Then, the other two will sporadically follow. If we get Coneheads from a v3 mold, it won't be anytime soon.

• Like Like x 3
  16. jackisking

News Credits:
    I can see the point about the coneheads but barring the wings alot of the remolding was shared across all three. There wasn't that much sunk into the remoldings. TC/SW would most likely be general releases this time. I think they would actually get effort to individualize them this time versus the cookie cutter approach of last time.
    Even though I think it's so obvious a new version is coming, they go left and someone else like Magnus gets 2.0ed before everybody. Kind of surprising they never trot him in particular out at events, when all said and done he's a Diaclone like most of the Autobots we have gotten so he would actually fit on display versus a Hot Rod.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Makai Lung

Makai Lung Banned

You can't have two Starscreams next year. If we get MPM then you won't get v3 anytime soon.

18. jackisking

News Credits:
    Don't think an MPM one is going to make much difference if they decide to release an MP one, 2 different markets for the most part.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Thundercracker and Skywarp are without a doubt getting a V3..As straight-up repaints, they are no different than a Hound getting a + version or a Detritus. Judging from these latest + releases I think we will finally get different heads for each.

The Coneheads... Highly unlikely IMO. With the new toon direction, they would have to make a few more changes than the first run.
    They also sold horribly the first time around (More likely due to the mold being super old and the high cost opposed to the C-list characters thing)

Rainmakers? Unlikely.
    The beautiful OG TakaraTomy Sunstorm sold pretty poorly. Acidstorm was a Hasbro import, he shelf warmed pretty badly too.

Ghost Starscream, EVA (he was mentioned in the MP10 EVA lore), + , Bape, Supreme? Probable

I really feel the focus is on wrapping up G1 with a nice core heritage lineup dabbled with Diaclone throwback repaints, so they can move forward on later generations of the line.

I also doubt we will see a + version of Tracks due to him being one of the worst-selling MP cars. (Shame as he's one of my fav characters and he's pretty cool even with his flaws.)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  20. KayODave

KayODave Still a grey prototype

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I was hoping to see seeker v3 this year, so my fingers are crossed hard for it in 2020. Besides them, I really would like to see Jazz and Mirage, finally.

• Like Like x 2