The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I think I just came up with a 'keep it straight' saying right here and now...slags are horny! I don't think I'll get them mixed up any more from here on out. Just as long as I remember what slag means in the UK...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Funny, I was always addicted to G1 but had a very difficult time getting into Robotech. Too many humans...lol!

Yeah, I’m a total toon guy but I’m not sure I’d buy something that’s identical to this particular animation model. If TT did something, say, like Constructor but cleaner and more toon styled, I’d buy that. A fair compromise.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

The humans I don’t mind. It’s the singing I’m not a fan of!

I think Robotech is appealing to kids because the humans get to pilot these awesome mechs.

Speaking of pilots, I’m very curious to see if Takara bothers packaging dianaughts with the toy versions of MP’s based on Diaclone designs. That would be awesome and might explain why they added magnetic surfaces to Prime’s trailer.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Prime of Shadows

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I’d love dianauts. I’d actually prefer them over Spike and co. Isn’t there some speculation that the latter figures have magnets in the heels specifically to interact with Prime’s trailer?

And god yeah Minmae’s (or however you spell it) caterwauling frequently grated on my nerves.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Yes I believe the humans included with Prime V3 have magnets in their feet. I’m just hoping we also get dianauts with plus releases.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Haha, I still remember "scratch, scratch me back, it really is a fact, the less I itch the more I scratch

• Like Like x 1
  7. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I get that!

I always felt that Transformers are kinda like superheroes, they’re around to protect the humans, but need very little interaction with them because humans are basically unnecessary once you establish that fact. They basically have to either jack the humans up like 90’s-impossibly-awesome-Batman to let the humans participate, or weaken the Transformers.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Prime of Shadows

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    In fact, they are! Multiple characters had the equivalent of superpowers: Hound’s holograms, Ironhide’s chemicals, Sideswipes piledrivers, Trailbreaker’s force fields, Skywarp’s teleportation, Thundercracker’s sonic boom. Heck, even Rumble/Frenzy’s piledrivers could be considered superpowerful. And most every character has boot shapes and some have...underwear-like shapes. Looking at the newer toon style figures really demonstrates this.

• Like Like x 2
  9. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The amount of releases consistently given. Could be wrong.

10. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Part of the reason I hated the Bay movies, the Transformers were nothing but props.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Prime of Shadows

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Exactly. Bay almost treated Transformers like he was directing a Godzilla movie. “Giant creatures with no personality or characterization? Let’s focus on the humans reacting to them as our main story”

• Like Like x 5
  12. GearsRollo

Sorry, I mean the humans being shoe-horned in. Just look at the IDW comics where they were trying to get the human characters in there. Everything had to be based in Cybertronian tech, etc.

That said, you’re completely correct. The lore of the original series of Transformers is 100% based in superheroes. They even use the same rules of colour schemes.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think the UW Devastar gives us a good preview of what a MP figure would look like. Long Haul would be notably different, and the individuals would be just a bit more premium. Still, I think Hasui-san pushed his chips in at that point to make a really good representation at the time. While he was specifically not aiming for a MP Devastar, I do think he knew he'd be leaving the MP team even then.

• Like Like x 4
  14. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Yep. Give the rights back to Marvel!!! ;)  ;)  ;) 

• Like Like x 4
  15. GearsRollo

In all honesty, I think that’d be really bad. Marvel as a comic book company has been struggling creatively since the early 90s. Overall, IDW did pretty great except for when Hasbro mandated things like crossovers with other brands (and even then).

Strangely, I think the Masterpiece line has handled human involvement brilliantly. The tiny, largely unimportant looking humans that come with some figures are pretty much exactly right. They add a little flavour, provide a little scale, and they’re otherwise perfectly forgettable :p 

• Like Like x 7
  16. Prime of Shadows

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Agreed.

• Like Like x 2
  17. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Soooo, is it a bad thing that I was always rooting for the humans (cartoons and movies.....with the exception of Charlie) to get stepped on, sat on or zapped by the Cons? o_O  :peoples: 

All the human figures that came with any line of Transformers, found their way to the dreaded junk drawer.

As for an MP Combiner, I still don't see it happening.
    I do think we'll get most of the individual members as standalone MPs though.
    Of course, I'm one of a very few who don't want to pay extra for a combining gimmick that I'll never use.

So long as TT produces MPs of:
    Wildrider
    Dead End
    Breakdown

Air Raid
    Fireflight
    Skydive
    Slingshot

Bob :confused2 :D 

• Like Like x 1
  18. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    No no, totally joking, and I was talking about the movies anyway (using the phrase oft uttered in reference to any non-MCU superhero film ;)  ). But I also don't want the Transformers to be integrated into the MCU :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  19. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You may be right in that Takara could be more likely to do the Dinobots, I don't know. But I wouldn't say that - as a group - they're more iconic than the Constructicons. Close, for sure. Maybe even equal. As a group.

And as individual robots, well... Certainly, no one Constructicon is as iconic as any single Dinobot, but the combined mode is where they've got them beat. EVERYONE remembers Devastator. It's not so much as a group that they're popular - it's the big robot they turn into.

And I'd say he's near equal to Grimlock in terms of "icon status", in that form. So I guess, in the end, we're talking about two totally different TYPES of groups, and maybe it's not a fair comparison... but the combined form, I think, is still where Devastator/the Constructicons have a bit of an edge.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  20. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

If there was actually a way to win the bet, I would bet my collection that would never happen with the MP line...problem is it's hard to come out on the winning side of a bet when you're waiting to reach the other side of never.

• Like Like x 2