The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

The more prices keep going up, the less likely I see Takara doing MP combiners.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    I personally think any chances of an MP Devastator are severely reduced by both the price increases and the focus on engineering/articulation.

The prices on even the smallest of MPs has now swollen to somewhere some MP collectors are no longer comfortable with. I can imagine asking them to fork it out 6 times on 6 very similar looking figures to one day, maybe in a couple of years, get their Devastator might appeal to even less. I guess TT are already hedging thier bets a bit that increased profits and more affluent 'high end' collectors will fill that void. The other option is a gift set which would be the most expensive MP proposition yet! Realistically we are looking at what? 100,000 Yen for the lot? More? No matter how much I wanted it I both couldn't justify it and actually physically could not afford that! I'd wager it's a risk TT might shy away from, especially when they've got so many more easy options to cash in on.

On top of that the engineering required for all 6 to have their usual two modes plus a 3rd 'Devastator' mode that connects to the rest and holds together as a solid well articulated very large figure can't be easy or cheap! I wonder if it's even possible! Many 3rd parties have opted a parts forming frame to support their MP scale combiners for this reason, I really don't see TT going the same route, they seem quite purest when it comes to parts forming...even if here and there I'd be totally willing to accept it if it resulted in a better looking figure in either mode.

I could be wrong but I never thought Devastator had a strong possibility of happening and I think it has even less now. I'd like to see it but the chances of me actually being able to afford one if it happens are close to zero.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  3. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

No offence intended (& great posts by Booster et al) but I'm not sure why we're debating whether an offical MP-Devastator will at some point happen, tbh. The question is surely when not if.

Or are we suggesting that while Decepticon combiners are currently de rigueur for XTB and FT, mid-flow with their Menasors, high-end gestalts are somehow logistically beyond the reach of Takara with infinitely more investment capital and resources behind them?

I doubt it. Yes, it'll be a game-changer for the line and yes, will cost a bomb.

But when you look at the massive two-foot scale Omega they'll soon be putting out in a non-MP line with Siege? They still clearly have the will and means to go BIG for signature characters knowing the market's there to bite.

And whether it happens now, in 2020, or nearer the end of the G1 MP line's lifespan (2023-24?), by God, will they go HUGE for MP-Devastator and find a way to make it happen.

Count on that. Or prepare your wallet for extermination. Same difference. :D :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 4
  4. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    To clarify I'm not saying it will never happen....I'm saying to me it seems less likely to happen concidering the current focus of the line and it's pricing. Seems to me like there needs to be serious changes in direction from TT to allow a combiner to be commercially viable for them...and affordable for us.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

Thanks, your main post gave me food for thought. And you may well be right in terms of the current climate/pace of their schedule.

For me, it's Menasor, Bruticus (despite Hasui once stating a preference) and the Autobot teams that are more the open questions.

Irrespective of any costing/technical factors, I just don't see them not finding a way to make their flagship G1 combiner happen.

I actually think that Devastator could well be the only combiner MP we'll get. Ditto Springer, Blitzwing and Astrotrain being the only TC's. They'll probably plump for most iconic before the line reaches its end.

Nevermind his move presence (crushed gun tower canon and Autobot city wall accessory please? :rolleyes: ) Devvy has that in spades with his unique colour scheme alone. If I ever see that shade of green and purple appear together in real life my first thought is: "Decepticons!" :D 

• Like Like x 5
  6. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I agree that an MP Devs is pretty hard to imagine right now (and I think, say, Omega Supreme is completely off the table, ditto the other combiners) I think at this point the price of the Masterpiece figures is based less on material costs or size and more on engineering/development time. At least that's the only rationale I can think of to justify the cost of Hound.

I'm not saying a Devastator wouldn't cost an arm and a leg - just that the leap in size may not mean a fully proportional leap in price alone.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    Agreed, if it happens it will be Devastator none of the rest have the fan appeal to convince collectors to part with the large amounts of money that will he required to own one, in addition to the fact TT seem very much focused on season 1 characters.

You could be right about that, but surely the engineering/development time on a team of what are essentially six triple changers that need to combine into a large, solidly built, well articulated action figure would be significantly longer than that of Hound?

• Like Like x 4
  8. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, indeed, but that will be the biggest factor imo. It's one reason why I won't rule out an official Jetfire - due to the animation model the transformation wouldn't need to be much more complicated than what Fanstoys accomplished on a figure 4x as large but only 20% more expensive than Hound.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    That all makes some sense, it does seem like TT are narrowing the price range of the MP line...maybe. However I think an official Jetfire would be more that 20% more expensive than Hound. I'd predict around that of MP-43 Megatron... Maybe a little more?

However Devastator would be made up of 6 rather complex figures around the same size as Hound wouldn't he? Maybe a little smaller? I'm not sure as in show scale was all over the shop in regards to combiners and their team members.

10. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Constructicons would be a little taller than regular carbots, in between that and Ironhide height

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interesting that Insecticons are Bumblebee height, Reflector are carbot height. Would've thought that other way around, for some reason.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    Indeed so we are likely looking at Hound prices or more for each one. Which is fine I guess but it's quite the financial commitment for a collector. I dare say TT would/have considered going ahead with it but I doubt it's top of their list of viable options. On the backburner maybe? It's probably way 3P companies feel safe embarking on their own combiner projects.

Agreed, I would think the same. That that will be equally due to inconsistency in scale in the show and inconsistency in scale in our minds eye(s) right? I'd swear all of them were minibot height or smaller from my recollection but I havent examined the G1 cartoon as closely as some (I have the DVDs, they got one full watch through and now they gather dust).

12. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    It was rare enough to see Reflector fighting or stood next to any Autobots, and from memory the Insecticons are often enough in beast mode (or supersized robot mode in that one episode).

I guess they are more carbot sized here though:

[​IMG]

If we continue at the same pace of 2019 then I could see Devastator happening. It's a 3 - 6 year commitment though, but maybe that would be quite exciting and bring people on board?

Like, 2020 could bring us v3 Starscream, one new carbot and one Constructicon.
    That cycle could continue, reinforced by the money-making A-list redos (Soundwave, Sideswipe, Grimlock, Hot Rod etc), which would allow them to support a bold ambitious plan like Devastator. Pair a redo every year with a Constructicon and a carbot, and it's probably a pretty sustainable formula.

How would people feel about a redo every year? I want to see a new Starscream or Grimlock just as much as Jazz or Mirage. One a year might seem like a lot, but hey we got two this year. The A-list list is long enough, I think.

• Like Like x 6
  13. HolyCulture

HolyCulture I'm so much a toon guy that I framed Roger Rabbit.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    The idea of MP Devastator and Reflector make me frothy. Wowowow! Dear TT rep reading this. "I'll buy 3 of each Constructicon. Promise! Please be the change in the world that we need! An MP Devy could really make a lot of sense on the cosmic-balance scale. Some malevolent force has had its finger on on the scale for a few years, and we could really use a break/miracle."

Even if it's a retooled Unite Warriors Devy. Whatever!

• Like Like x 4
  14. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    Heh...maybe? I'm not sure if a 3-6 year wait on 6 very similar looking, C-list at best, characterless robots that will end up costing the collector close to $1000 in total before they get their A-List Combiner can be sold as a jumping on point for new collectors but...erm...I guess if your a huge Devestator fan it might be?

I'm not going to pretend my opinion counts here so no need to pick it apart guys! Yes people would likely lap that up...however I'd find that very boring and would likely buy none of it. I'd like to see TT move away from G1 S1 and quit it with the redos and retcons of older moulds, to me it feels very stale and inspired...for me all the excitement is in the Beast Wars side of the line because it's never been done before.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HolyCulture

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    tenor.gif

• Like Like x 2
  16. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    I'm talking about the individual team members. Lets face it their are hardly household names , memorable characters or particularly exciting designs. It's all about the combined form, who is definitely way more iconic and better to look at than it's component parts.

• Like Like x 1
  17. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Back when you could buy MP Ultra Magnus for $125, I could have seen TT releasing a $300 MP Dev set. Now, though, $300 doesn't even get you MP Prime, and $125 barely gets you a carbot. MP Dev is simply too expensive to release in a single go, and I can't imagine TT spreading out his release over 2 or 3 years. It's just too risky. Why bother when the fandom would just as happily eat up a v2 or 3 of some other character with none of the same risk? I think an MP Dev could very well be successful, but I don't think TT are big gamblers and combiners probably aren't amazing money makers in the grand scheme. They're much more a TF diehard's wetdream than a casual fan's desire. The cool factor to the casual fan is quickly muted by the ridic price...and you're even limited on how many diehards will spring for the g2 and diaclone repaints at these prices.

• Like Like x 8
  18. HolyCulture

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I would disagree. I would say most, if not all, G1 fans know their Scrappers and Hooks from Devastator.

Hell. How many of us had a lone Bonecrusher as a kid and dreamed of having the rest of the team?

I strongly think the entire team would be cherished by a whole lot more people than just me.

• Like Like x 3
  19. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm looking overall. We just had 5 new molds revealed, sure. But compared to Gundam and Kaiju related stuff, it's still slow. What's considered fast to us now, still isn't that fast. Dragonball, that's been done for... 20 years?? That gets more love than transformers. Sorry, but I still think of the release schedule is slow, compared to a lot of other brands in Japan. Which is fine for me and my wallet. Because I collect multiple lines from Japan, which aren't cheap, lol

• Like Like x 1
  20. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Bring on MP Devastator! I expect each Constucticon to cost more than Hound because they’re taller and more complex designs. But I would buy them all for sure and possibly even two sets if I like the designs enough. Especially if they spread them out over two years.

HasTak is doing the Studio Series Devastator over two years. The total cost for all 8 figures is $360 Canadian plus tax and shipping depending on where you buy them. I’m not even a huge fan of the Bay movie designs but I’m buying them all anyway because I’m excited for combiners. Especially combiners with no extra combiner parts if possible. I’m really hoping that the Studio Series business plan is a marketing test run for a possible G1 MP version.

• Like Like x 6