The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    If I recall correctly, based on the Scale Chart we put together, a potential MP Rattrap would actually be taller than Generations Rattrap.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have one very big question, where the hell did the designer for MP45 come from and well 2nd question, what ELSE has he worked on? This whole time I thought Kobayashi was working his magic but I get the feeling this sleeper new guy has been working behind the scenes for quite a while.

• Like Like x 6
  3. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    The guy in the video is called Kenta Wakizawa and he is being credited as a development project member. He mentions that he is referred to as the speedster (or speed star). No further clarification is given.

As has been speculated before, there seems to be a team of designers working on the Masterpiece line, with Kobayashi being the lead or executive designer.

Kobayashi is known for not wanting to be in the spotlight so I think he'd gladly have some of the younger members of the team take care of these types of interviews and promotion.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
  4. Aussiebot

Aussiebot Well-Known Member

No idea but he deserves to be sacked. MP-45 looks like poo.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    Heh...that's a lot of speculation stated as fact there. Rattrap is VERY likely, and the peg on Primal is a huge hint towards that...but nothing is definite, plans can change. Didn't MP-10 have places for Ultra Magnus armour to attach for example? Same goes for Rhinox not being in any way 'guaranteed' on the strength of an missing accessory for Primal.

For what is worth I think your theories are spot on but you need a few almosts, likelys and probablys in there.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not to mention connection points on Star Saber for a Leo Victory.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They aren't going to change their plans to the extent that they decide to not do MP Rattrap.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Fair points. Star Saber maybe didn't sell as well as they'd like. Yuki also puts dibs on a future MP Super Ginrai in his interview, and not a peep about him since.
    Hasui's plan for an armoured up MP-10 were cost-prohibitive at the time, and I think he struggled getting it to be able to hold four cars in alt-mode too.

I think Rattrap and Rhinox are different enough stories. Beast Wars seems to be selling great, there's always a new mould on the horizon (which wasn't even true of G1 after Sunstreaker came out). I said 'I think Rhinox is also guaranteed', definitely not stating facts in any way. Though I'd bet good money that we'll get Rattrap at some point in the next five years, because I'm that confident that he'll happen.

It's the speculation thread, so always take my opinions as just that. I have zero insider knowledge.

Yup, Kobayashi doesn't even make public appearances. Yuki was the one presenting MP-27 at Tokyo Toy Show back in 2015. And let's not forget how he covered his face in the photo from that Figure King issue about the history of convoy:

[​IMG]

Interesting that Wakizawa mentions being the speedster, I wonder if there was some kind of time limit placed upon the design of MP-45.

I reckon the MP designs are still the most collaborative of all of them. Get the feeling they're all in a room together to brain-storm ideas. It's probably still easier for one single designer to do the bulk of the work, but refinements and suggestions probably come from the whole team.

• Like Like x 10
  9. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    They said over and over again that the original cast of BW’s is a goal they wanted to complete . My question is , is that strictly S1 guys only ? We know there all coming , to me , it don’t matter the order . I just want to know how limited they are when it comes to the cast .

• Like Like x 1
  10. lord ginrai

News Credits:
    One thing to keep in mind is that in Japan, Beast Wars season 2 and 3 were released separately under a new name: Beast Wars Metals.
    The one interview where the design team mentioned wanting to complete the main cast is indeed most likely referring to just Beast Wars (season 1 in the US).
    In between Beast Wars and Beast Wars Metals, They aired Beast Wars II and Beast Wars NEO. Apparently Beast Wars Metals wasn't as successful as the other Beast Wars series.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Cyclonus79

Ebay:
    Bummer... I loved those transmetal designs..

• Like Like x 3
  12. lord ginrai

News Credits:
    Me too!

If the BW Masterpieces continue to sell well, I don't see why they wouldn't eventually branch out to Metals, II and NEO. However, I expect them to focus on season 1 for the time being.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Cyclonus79

Ebay:
    Yup I agree. Least we’ll get inferno ! Dude was a crazied maniac , with a huge ass gun . Him and Rhinox are the ones I looked forward to the most . ( Primal being my utmost favorite ).

• Like Like x 3
  14. Predaking EX

Predaking EX I am Power.

Ebay:
    MP Super Ginrai needs to happen. Easily the best leader the Autobots ever had.

• Like Like x 5
  15. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to co-sign this, ONLY for the reason that it may eventually get me one step closer to a Masterpiece Overlord!:D 

• Like Like x 3
  16. Predaking EX

Predaking EX I am Power.

Ebay:
    Absolutely, that is the master plan if we ever got a Super Ginrai. I feel a Overlord would all be confirmed at that point. I could see him being MPM 08 size, I just bought the Legends Overlord but I would still desire a MP release. I would love to see the designs for Giga and Mega as they form the God cores. I was tempted for a while to get Double Evil and I may still if I can ever get him cheap enough, I just do not like how HUGE Mega Child or the "shield" is.

• Like Like x 1
  17. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The size you stated would be just about right. I had the original a few years ago. While I did like the figure for a lot of reasons, one thing that was lacking imo was articulation. Legends is a vast improvement in that arena, however I know a MP version would knock it out of the park. He was also a Major character in Masterforce. I could also see Takara including a "toy face" and IDW face as added extras for him.

18. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I dunno guys, I think we’re pretty far out from those characters, both because Masterforce and Victory don’t have much market crossover, but also because it’ll be a few years that they’re still on Beast Wars, and MPM seems to be going strong still.

U3 or ‘86/Movie would probably have a bigger mass appeal than either of those sets by the time they’re far enough through any of the three primary sets that are on the go.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Prime135

Prime135 Jill Rhyme the science Prime

News Credits:
    I’d break my prime and megs only rule for this!!!!!

Tired of third party options that are too big, give me a super ginrai that scales properly with starsaber! Prime needs his mini-me.

• Like Like x 2
  20. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought the peg was for the toon repaint and weapon storage? At least that’s what I have heard on these forums about 6 months ago

• Like Like x 2