The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    But... I want masterpiece tetrajets.

Oh, wait... you weren't refering to tetras.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I’ll agree with the non sounds in figures . The lights though , if 50/50.. if done in the right places , eyes , blasters , possibly head lights , thrusters , I’d be ok with . I know hot toys darth Vader does the lights rather well. Fortunately , he doesn’t transform so I’m sure the wiring is a lot easier .

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    I reckon Starscream might be small enough that he won't get a sound feature. Probably not even light-up eyes, either - they seem to be saving that stuff for the Beast Wars characters with their larger head-space.

Yeah the Chinese reissues were limited in what was available. My chinese G1 Optimus is super cool though - perfectly painted yellow eyes and a dark indigo tone to his blue parts. Love it!

We didn't get satellite TV til I was a bit older in Portugal (but I was definitely into Power Rangers too!), and Portuguese TV only played the G1 cartoon rarely - although they did play it in English, with Portuguese subtitles! Really rarely caught it, so it was mostly watching my three video cassettes over and over again.

I had G2 Snarl which also broke.. haha
    I remember visiting my older cousins' friend's house in Ireland and he had such a huge collection, including either Fortress Maximus or Metroplex. That was so amazing to see!

Also, I never though about Cordon being an Autobot because Lamborghini might not have wanted their car to become a Decepticon. Interesting theory! Kinda makes sense though, Cordon as a Decepticon seemed a no-brainer with those red eyes.

You're dead right that the Chinese market has helped the MP line in a huge way!

Based on second versions of MPs usually not getting the same repaints, I'd say this time around Sunstorm might be the least likely to be repainted from a new Starscream. Although that's a damn shame, because his colour scheme is gorgeous.

Maybe they'll do a purple generic Seeker like the ones that appeared in the first few episodes.

They're really easy repaints, so I could see it happening at some point. However, we're getting fewer and fewer obscure repaints in the line, since those slots are occupied by MPMs these days, so it's possible we'll only get Skywarp, Thundercracker and a Ghost Starscream (which would work brilliantly alongside a Beast Wars Waspinator!). Even all those three might be Hasbro Asia/TT Mall exclusives.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    @Sam I think you’re right about the electronics, especially if they do the pop in ear fins like MP11 plus a face gimmick.
    So true about the BW’s.. I wonder if it’s because it was such a popular mid 1990’s era thing to have electronics in toys.

Sounds like we had the same G1 Optimus my friend.. good times! My Mum almost beat my ass when I smuggled him to infant school to swap for a complete Snapdragon.
    I bet you was more interested in playing with your mates Fortress Max than him haha, I know I’d have been blown away.

Yeah Cordon seems very odd being an Autobot, he would have made a great buddy for Exhaust. I guess Red Sunstreaker will be the final clue.
    I need muhh Breakdown! Man his name really doesn’t help his case :’(

Yeah man.. I hope we only get those 4 as they are all A list and must buys for me. That Sunstorm really did have a gorgeous paint job mind you. Yeah I agree on the 3 main repaints likely being HA or TTmail.
    They know not to produce billions like they did in the past.

Man all this Starscream talk has me excited for that V3

• Like Like x 3
  5. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Yes, I mention that one as well. But to my knowledge (not entirely sure) TT Sunstorm was a Hasbro-Asia figure and a TT mall exlusive in Japan.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    MP-11S was actually an Amazon Japan exclusive, if I remember correctly!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

Hmmm. I'll entertain the possibility of a V3 Starscream, but ONLY with a choked by Megs or "Ow, my foot!" face ... :eek: 

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, and an extra pair of "stunt feet" in burnt out grey to double as accessories? Let's face it, having his feet still left there smouldering after getting smoked by Galvatron was a kinda humorous callback to that earlier scene, no? :rolleyes: :D 

[​IMG]

"Ow! My f........ oh."

• Like Like x 6
  8. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

You people talking about a new Magnus are crazy...especially with a MP-44 white Prime! If MP-44 costs what he does with a trailer that hardly does shit, how much do you suppose a transforming body armor trailer set would cost? Granted, I think Magnus needs a redo about as much as Grimlock since they're both the wrong size in bot mode, but I have no interest in paying for either one at the new price point.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Prime135

Prime135 Jill Rhyme the science Prime

News Credits:
    To be fair, mp-44’s trailer does more than any other prime trailer ever. Including many features that no one ever would’ve even thought to ask for.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

From my own point of view, (i.e: I dont mind occasional redos, where justified, or the greater toon aesthetic going forward, & am cool with them taking another pop at, say, Sideswipe to match him up with 'Streak) I still hope they don’t slavishly redo every past existing MP in the new high-toon aesthetic as per MP44 & 45.

ESPECIALLY at the expense of moving forward with new characters, because re-doing only two just lately has essentially set us back a year.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but it's quite important to remember that the original G1 toy line incorporated a huge amount of variety in source/design, incorporating not only the majority of Diaclone/Microman for the carbots/Dinos/early 'cons, but Macross for Skyfire and ToyCo's Astro Magnum for Shockwave, amongst other standalones.

The point re: consistency of aesthetic, is that while objectives like scale and screen accuracy ARE now the overall ideal, it's “okay” for Masterpiece to reflect variety in the look and individual feel of various bots as well to some degree, or for Magnus to be “that chubby one", not pose like MP44.

Now we have the plus series complimenting the line, it seemed to me at first as though the ideal scenario had been reached supplying two versions to market to suit all tastes, as well as (from their financial p.o.v. as a business) doubling up TT revenues with a cheeky double dip. Revamping characters like 'Bee so quickly does rather complicate things, I feel. I would have thought if anything Sideswipe was the total revamp case, and Bee the plus repaint, but what do I know ….

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

But would I rather two more years twiddling my thumbs looking at grey renders of a Magnus redo, a Grimlock redo, and a new Hot Rodimus over and above the likes of Swoop, Astrotrain and Galvatron? Would I f*ck. :rolleyes: 

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  11. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

When they release a V2 Swipe, would that then allow for them to keep milking that Lambo mode with a......dare I say it.....V2 MP12+ o_O 

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Prime makes a lot of sense, and Bumblebee makes sense considering they can do something different with his alt-mode, and capitalise on it being his solo movie year. While Magnus v2 or Hot Rod v2 would be cool with me, I think they're still a lot less likely for the time being.

They're probably aware that collectors also want new characters (it's part of the reason why they waited so long to redo Megatron). Although a new Starscream seems a given in the next couple of years (maybe even as early as 2020), hopefully we'll get a couple of more new characters alongside Hound!

Sure, a toy accurate version using parts from Red Alert v2 to have wheels on his shoulders - makes total sense. Who knows when and where though! Just remember that every year since their first deal started in 2012 there's been at least one Lamborghini MP. After Red Sunstreaker, they're gonna start running out of options ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  13. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Ideas for Lambo mold MPs:
    G2
    Pretenders
    Armada
    Energon
    Cybertron
    IDW.........:D 

My favorite molds ;) 

14. Aussiebot

Aussiebot Well-Known Member

Couldn't disagree more re: Grimlock. I think the king is defineitely deserving of a v2.0 and I would gladly pay just about any price for it(or any of the dinobots if Takara chooses to do them).

15. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

Accountants responsible for the MP44 and MP45 price tags have duly noted your stipulation, and will not disappoint ... :rolleyes:  :scalper 

[​IMG]

16. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

In other news, is there any reason inparticular why the plus version of Bluestreak has joined Ultra Leno, Tarantinostreaker, and Hound Stallone in the current TT fetish for big chins? o_O 

His chin was fine as it was, no? This is the end of Me, Myself & Irene all over again ...

[​IMG]

17. jackisking

jackisking I stole the cookies from the cookie jar

News Credits:
    To make it easier to swap faces, beats using a screw driver

18. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Don’t forget Megachin ;) 

Since the general face shape remains the same between different expressions, I wonder if it’s a question of cost (cheaper to change small details while retaining general outline?).

Also, I wonder if they would look sillier if their chins were shorter in relation to the helmet around their faces.

Imagine Sunstreaker with a shorter face plate on his neutral face. It would leave empty helmet space beneath the face. Alternatively, if the open mouthed faces were even longer it would hinder articulation.

I do wonder if there’s a better way to get around it.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Prime135

Prime135 Jill Rhyme the science Prime

News Credits:
    Keep seeing people say this and yet I don’t see it? Only problem with his face is that the cheek lines are a bit sharp, and I doubt they’ll look that way in person. Am I crazy?

20. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    If they make a Starscream V3, I hope he has a better cartoon accurate crown, instead of that flying saucer headpiece.

• Like Like x 1