The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Yeah, Masterforce played fast and loose with continuity, more than s1-3 or Headmasters ever did. Mostly ignored what came before and it mostly felt like it's own thing. Back to MPs, though, I'd love an MP Ginrai! At this point, though, I'll take anything G1. Any season, Autobot or Decepticon, I don't care.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Fallen Jedi

Fallen Jedi Well-Known Member

Wholeheartedly agree. To each their own, but I find it funny when fans want their Masterpieces to be toy-accurate versus cartoon-accurate. Ideally, the original G1 toys should have been cartoon accurate, but for engineering reasons, as well as the whole diaclone repackaging issue, were not. I am sure f the cartoon were released today, the toys would vane been released cartoon-accurate. Just look at the rest of the cartoon-based lines (BW, RiD etc etc.) since then. Except for engineering considerations, the company tried to make them look as close to the cartoon as possible. That is the whole point of marketing!

• Like Like x 3
  3. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Sell it then. You'd probably make some money as it's currently out of stock and an in demand figure. Then again, a less than perfect Jazz is still better than no Jazz.

...don't mind me. I just need to set this down somewhere:

[​IMG]

...carry on.

;) 

• Like Like x 4
  4. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Not sure if this is what you mean by this, but most the 1st season toys existed before the cartoon, or before they were called Transformers. Not entirely sure why they didn't line up a little closer. Maybe because they didn't want the cartoon to look too shitty. A lot of the early toys weren't the best looking robots.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    I don't think it was their original intention when going toon-accurate, but I think a good side-effect is the possibility that one day we could get a toy-accurate line. The toy-accurate line could even keep the same scale as the original toys, much like I believe the Diaclone line is doing.

As @kibble says, the TF franchise was created from those original Diaclone toys, which were their own separate line with their own mythology too. Hasbro saw them at the 84(?) Tokyo Toy Show and history was made.

I believe when Floro Dery designed the character models he removed a lot of car parts to make them look more humanoid.

When it came to season 2, Dery was asked to make them more closely resemble the toys they were trying to sell, which is why Red Alert looks more toy-accurate than Sideswipe.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land"

News Credits:
    Darn, I could have swarn he had the stripes in the movie, guess I was wrong. The running lights have to be translucent orange though.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Fallen Jedi

Fallen Jedi Well-Known Member

That was sort of my point as well. The toys, I assume were a bit of a cop-out in that they existed already.

8. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Maybe you're thinking about his transformation to truck mode, where his grey torso bit looks like the stripe but suddenly turns red...

Btw, guys, it looks like Red Alert +, Thrust, and Dirge are being reissued by TT Mall in addition to the previously announced blue Frumble/Buzzsaw reissue. Like @Sam said, I'm sure this is just dumping of old stock.

• Like Like x 3
  9. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

They also have MP12 Lambor with special sticker

• Like Like x 1
  10. Prime135

News Credits:
    Probably...wow, I forget how great that scene is...and now I’m sold on an optimus v3...

• Like Like x 3
  11. Prime135

News Credits:
    Does it kind of bug anyone else that the conheheads started in the old MP era (ramjet’s metallic face paint and black secondary color), and ended in the new MP era (Dirge’s grey face and secondary color)?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    So 2018 is the 15th year anniversary for the line......and no new G1 releases yet? I think even a 15 year anniversary is something Takara would pay attention too. It would be a great year for a top tier character: Galvatron,Grimlock,Rodimus Prime,Sixshot, Starscream, Jazz, Super Ginrai..........Optimus 3.0? Could we actually see a flurry for the last half of the year, also would have been nice if they wouldn't have been dragging their feet so we got 50 in the anniversary year. That would have been a nice touch, if that figure got special treatment like LG Sixshot or the 100th MG kit.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Depends on your point of view. As @kibble and @Sam mention, the toys were first. There was a whole line even with a background way before Transformers. Hasbro, after having had a big succes with re-buying GI Joe from Takara (Takara had bought the rights to the Original GI Joe figures, scaled them down and articulated them to the size you know) and through Marvel recreating the entire mythos (from a single soldier to an elite group), sought out another Japanese toyline to introduce to the US market. They saw all those transforming robots, most came from Takara and approached Marvel to create the Transformers fiction and characters. Marvel did so, made a four issue comic series about these Transformers (to circumvent US legislation regarding cartoons being toy commercials) and only after this the cartoon aired.

But it's not like Hasbro had the idea for a series about Transforming robots and decided to go on the cheap and use the existing diaclone toys. The toys inspired the idea, the idea was realised by Marvel for comics and subsequently the cartoon.

But that picture only shows the front :D 

Ginrai was pretty toy accurate (because the toy came first). And thus the front of the cab became the back of the robot. On his chest he has faux windows and a grill, while the actual cab windows and grill (plus the ginrai godmaster/powermaster) are on his back.

A very different robotmode thus.

Plus as said, he's a lot smaller

• Like Like x 2
  14. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Been gone for a week at Disney World. Didn't see any MP news there either ;-)

15. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If there's any character they could get away with a 30000 yen price tag, it's Prime. I can believe it.

Well, the Magnus armor would replace most, if not all, of the accessories Optimus V3 would come with. No Roller, no combat deck, no Matrix, no axe, whatever else.

Did I speculate that? I don't even remember. But, you know, sometimes I'm predicting Shadow Panther, sometimes I'm predicting Road Caesar. Sometimes I open my mouth and words fall out.

Ohhhh.... you're speaking my language! *Swoons*

Well... Ginrai wasn't a kid, he was mid-20s, and he wasn't so much "masquerading" as Optimus as cosmic fate placed the Optimus transtector in his hands and Metalhawk appointed him the field commander because... uh... he was a good guy? I mean he never says "I'm totally Optimus Prime!" or anything.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

That's not really any better...

I actually feel fairly negative about the whole transtector thing to be totally honest. It really chips away at the whole "sentient robots" thing since key transformers are actually some random human at a certain point. To be totally fair, I get that it's got as much to do with Japanese culture not having to even out with North American culture anymore at that point, but it all starts feeling like Power Rangers around then.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Looking again at this gif I wonder if they could make V3P's grille the same in both modes.

Suddenly I want to buy Thrust:

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 01.13.30.png

:lol 

• Like Like x 10
  18. Tenebre

Tenebre Sharkticon

I'd love an MP Ginrai/Powermaster Prime too. I've never seen the Japanese G1 toons, but I loved the Marvel comic, and PM Prime was a really cool design.

It bugs me a little, but my OCD has to go out the window with the MP line. It's a patchwork of conflicting design philosophies, even more so if you throw 3P into the mix. But if Takara commits to a new Seeker mold, I'd want them to plan ahead for all iterations of the mold, the 3 originals and the 3 Coneheads, and make them all look the best they can and uniform, no half-assing the Coneheads.

You mean no faux grille? I'm sure Takara nowadays could make that work.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Cone heads need their own mold, period.

20. gambitprime

gambitprime Well-Known Member

I hope all of this MP at Wonder Festival is due to Takara will reveal a new mold for the line