The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Crazy how close they got sunstreaker to his 2D sketch. Dinobot looks like a monster too hopefully this will put to bed why he cost so much

• Like Like x 4
  2. Havok1891

Havok1891 Well-Known Member

= savings for me (after i buy sunstreaker that is).

3. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Yeah, he’s pretty wildly complex from what I can see. I think he probably is in the same ballpark as Megatron for parts. If they aren’t planning a repaint, and they’d expecting lower numbers, it’d certainly make more sense around the price.

• Like Like x 4
  4. jackisking

News Credits:
    Yeah, Im not even a BW fan but I had no doubt he would be this years Megatron. Though no one like the price is hard to to disagree they went all out with this release.

• Like Like x 5
  5. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I am completely with you here, though I am a Beast Wars as well as G1 guy.

What keeps striking me is the level of complexity of both Sunny and Dinobot is very high. I honestly don’t think they could have done either of them at the old Carbot for Sunstreaker , or even in the Ironhide-Inferno range for Dinobot. I know some people will disagree, but if you look at those shots, it’s all there. Both are extremely complex.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jackisking

News Credits:
    I said in another thread someone is going to have to disassemble theirs and count the parts compared to Sideswipe. I think too many people have a disconnect between the "price they want to pay" versus the price it's probably going to cost". Not saying he's not expensive but you have 2 choices buy it or don't buy it. I used to buy Jordans when I was younger but when they became more than I wanted to to pay .....I just stopped buying Jordans. Personally, I didn't want to spend that kind of money on tennis shoes but I'm not going to holler and complain"unfair" because there are plenty of people who don't mind spending the money. That said once both of these get in people's hands,I think most of that talk will be quieted

• Like Like x 7
  7. jackisking

News Credits:
    So odds on that TB announcement? After Sideswipe or Sunstreaker or ,(gulp) TM Hot. Rod. In the case of the former would they announce him 8 or 9 months out?(August,)Eeh, those diaclones are starting to look real good:D 

Is anybody besides me kind of excited about the new interlocking stands/ bases and the possibilities.

• Like Like x 1
  8. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say around the release or very soon after Sunstreaker it would be highly likely. One heck of a way to start the new year!

• Like Like x 2
  9. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    +1 for being rational. +1 for saying holler.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been noticing that the (formerly) six-month gap from reveal to release is actually increasing for these new, more intricate molds. Optimus Primal gray proto revealed in December '15 and released October '16 (ten months), Inferno was revealed in April (silhouette)/early May (gray proto) '16 and released in late November (seven months), Cheetor teased early May/painted proto July, released late February '17 (nine-seven months), Sunstreaker revealed in May and released in December (seven months), and Dinobot was revealed this month and releases next July (nine months). So a longer period for Trailbreaker might not be too unusual. (Megatron actually bucked the trend and managed a five-month period unless you want to start counting from the leak in early September '16.)

So a reveal alongside the Sunstreaker release could very well translate to an eight-month turnaround. My main concern at that point is we're moving into the probable release window for MPM Ironhide and the possibility of having two black pickup truck MPs on store shelves at the same time might be something Takara would try to avoid. This could be why we got the Hound rumor recently. Or if Blaster + Cassettes are slated for next fall, Trailbreaker could be pushed out of that release window until 2019.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  11. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After doing this for this post in another thread, inspired by someone talking about the possible impact of BW MPs on the G1 lineup and release pacing: MP Beast Wars Megatron

... I have a highly speculative but imo sound prediction based on that history, and that is: in addition to any repaints/remolds etc., there will be at least two NEW G1 molds announced sometime soon, possibly early next year, which will release IN 2018, and either an additional as yet unknown BW MP, or a THIRD G1 mold.

Reasons (some of which are shown in that linked post):

• There have never been fewer than 2 new G1 MP molds per year since MP-10 was released. Currently there are 0 new G1 molds announced for next year. (Roddy's targetmaster doesn't count.)
    • The last time there was a long gap between new G1 mold release dates (which just occurred between Megatron and Sunstreaker, 8 months,) the following year (2016) we got an insane number of releases, including FOUR new G1 molds, AND the first BW MP! Think about that... that year was insane. AND only ONE month prior to that year's first MP release, we got ANOTHER new G1 mold. (Productivity was insane in that off-year prior, clearly. We could be looking at another such year after this latest gap in new G1 molds, as I sincerely doubt it was ALL due to MMP and BW.)
    • It would be unprecedented and incredibly unlikely for them to release only BW MPs next year in terms of new molds. That is not a precedent they want to set in terms of optics, imo, nor does it feel probable.
    • It would be incredibly improbable for them to only make one new mold announcement next year, so even if one of them is another BW MP, it's doubtful that's all they'll reveal.
    • Currently the only new mold announced that is coming next year is MP Dinobot. Ergo, given all of the above, there is more yet to be revealed, and it would be unprecedented for those to only be BW or movie MPs.
    All in all, I find it virtually inevitable that there will be, at minimum, two more NEW G1 molds announced for release next year, and possibly one additional BW MP, or a third G1 mold. Thoughts?

• Like Like x 8
  12. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think all of this is reasonable and I’m inclined to agree with you.

I’m also thinking that one of those new molds will definitely be Blaster and he’ll be revealed not long after the new cassettes are released. I’m thinking it’s also very likely that we’ll see Hound, Trailbreaker, and Hoist all released (or at least revealed) for G1 in 2018. Maybe a Beast Wars reveal toward the end of the year.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Caminus Prime

Caminus Prime Banned

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hey guys Going off topic for a moment, I just had a softcore vision that since the MPM line started on the 10th anniversary of bayverse then the same thing will happen for TFP (considering how much of an awesome show it is), wouldn't this be exciting considering with who they might start with in 2020?

• Like Like x 3
  14. Bubbah

Bubbah Master of Disaster

News Credits:
    I absolutely loved TFP, however, I highly doubt we'll see any MPs in the near future from that show and for a couple of reasons. For starters, most of the figures for that show are already pretty solid in terms of accuracy. Obviously they're not MP level, but they're no slouches either. However, the biggest reason I don't see is it happening is because of it's importance to the franchise. G1 and BW are 2 of the most important landmarks in the franchis's history so those are no brainers.

That leaves MPMs. Love them or hate them, there is no denying the impact the movies have had on the franchise. They've brought in a whole new generation and pool of fans. The live action movies rank right up there with G1 and BW in terms of sheer impact to the franchise. TFP just doesn't hold anywhere close to that level and so I don't think the prestige is there for TFP to be given the MP treatment, at least not anytime soon.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

@AnonymousDwell , yeah, I'm with you, I've been saying the same thing, that the end of '18 will bring us at least one or two new G1 guys with reveals coming early '18 or possibly the end of Dec. I cited Tracks and Wheeljack as examples of figures who followed a similar reveal/release schedule. I'm not gonna place money on who we'll get, though. Any of the Diaclone guys feel likely at this point after Sunstreaker, Blaster's gotta be waiting in the wings after the Steeljaw "premold", and then with the Japanese 30th Movie anniversary in '19, Kup, Arcee, and Galvatron are possible. Reflector and the Constructicons have been rumored here and there for a while now, too, so lots of possibilities.

16. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

I don't think you can look at past releases to predict the future releases at all. The mp line has clearly greatly changed in the past year. the competition between g1, beast wars, and movie line for factory and design resources are real.

Just because something is unprecedented doesn't mean it can't happen. There has clearly been a strategy change. The future is not going to be the same as the past.

• Like Like x 6
  17. namyaw

namyaw Autobots! Transform and roll out!

What about Insecticons or Sharkticons...? We could troop build.. I went back and counted there were always more Autobots...

18. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    Now I don't have any particular info, and nor do I claim to for attention purposes, but my guesses for the next 18 months or so is that after a 'dry' spell we will get a couple at least, S1/S2 characters in 2018.

Then, as Dean intelligently pointed out, 2019 is the 30th anniversary of TFTM in Japan. So anyone is fair game, could be Galvatron (I think unlikely only 2 years after MP36) or the aforementioned Kup, Arcee, or even the first triple changer in Springer.

Leftfield, maybe an improved/updated Rodimus.

• Like Like x 2
  19. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Agreed. So far none of the other shows post BW have gotten MPs...not sure why Prime of all shows would be the special exception.

20. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't imagine they would start with anyone other than Optimus Prime, and... that's not very exciting (at least to me).

War Breakdown or Medic Knock Out would be pretty exciting.