The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Very cool. Thanks for the translated post @Sam!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Thanks Sam, I always like to read these things to understand the thinking process.

Shame I don't like BW because it looks like the really knocked this out the park like with Megatron, can almost imagine the excitement people on these boards must have.

TT if you're listening give me Rodimus Convoy v2 or Springer to this degree and all will be forgiven for the long wait.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know how you feel man, honestly I almost never watched BW as a kid because when it came on TV I just wanted to watch the G1 cartoon (I had my big brother's VHSs and I was obsessed). I went back and watched the first episode of Beast Wars a couple of weeks ago and it seemed pretty cool. Gave me a real Firefly 90s CGI vibe (another show I got into much later). I'd watch more but then I'm honestly worried I'll want the MPs. Heck, even that promotional video TT made make me want to buy this guy - I think the high price just makes him sound even more premium in my mind (silly consumerism).

Still, there's no nostalgia attached to these characters for me. In many ways Dinobot is probably a much more developed character than the likes of Hound, Mirage or Jazz, but it's those three guys that'd hit me in the nostalgia feels! Definitely really exciting times for BW fans, glad that it's a release that's making a lot of people happy. Just hope us G1ers get a whole lotta love in the second half of 2018.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Great read @Sam ! Do we know who was interviewed? I've asked this numerous times but never got an answer, who designed the Beast Wars Masterpieces? Where do I send my fan mail?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It isn't stated in the interview. TakaraTomy have refrained from identifying designers for some time now. At most, they will mention "development team".

• Like Like x 7
  6. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I'm glad Dinobot is a July release. I remember a story I have when I got the original Dinobot toy on my 8th Birthday. And now with this I can have a new Story about MP Dinobot for my 30th Birthday.

• Like Like x 7
  7. HolyCulture

HolyCulture I'm so much a toon guy that I framed Roger Rabbit.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Sam, like Firefly, Beast Wars is a pretty amazing show after the first 2 eps. I mean Actually still pretty good. Season 1 is only like 7 or so hours long I think and I highly recommend it. Technically there’s a lot of G1 in there. Some of the original G1 bots make cannon appearances in the BW series :D  Hope this convinces you to watch and buy Dinobot :) 

• Like Like x 3
  8. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Man, Dinobot is looking way better than I ever expected. I'm not even mad that he doesn't come out till July anymore or that we may not see a new G1 mold till 2019.

9. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    That's what donating plasma is for. If you happen to have mono they will pay even more for it $$$$$$:lol 

10. GearsRollo

If only it were that easy ;) 

11. gambitprime

gambitprime Well-Known Member

Mmm... One interesting thing is next Generations book could have three MP from three different eras: G1 (Sunstreaker), Beast Wars (Dinobot) and Movies (Barricade)

So, with a few luck, we could see hints for the next reveals for each era in the interviews per each character

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hah, don't tempt me man! I will definitely get around to watching it, I already quite liked everyone's characterization even from the first episode. I just can't afford to crave BW MPs right now, got a tour to save up for :thumb 

I read this a few weeks back and it just took me about half an hour to find it again.

About why Kobayashi isn't named as lead designer:

Kobayashi Hironori
    Born 7/26/1976
    BOYS Marketting Unit, BOYS Kids Character Division
    Nagaoka Institute of Design, Industrial Design Department, after graduating with degree in Industrial design joined Takara in 1999.
    He has worked on TF Car Robots: Speedbreaker, Overseas TF, Gobots, TF Micron Legend: Convoy Super Mode, Rachet, Land Military Microns, STD Convoy, Jetfire, Space Microns, Air Military Microns, as well as various other transforming robot projects. "My first project was Speedbreaker, and I had a painful experience as I was suddenly introduced to the difficultly of designing transforming robots. Even now Speedbreaker serves as an admonition for my future developments", he painfully recollects. He impressed me by asking for his face not to be shown, saying "In the end, developers are people behind the scenes, so there's no need to photograph me."
    Currently he is working on all Binaltech and Masterpeice convoy related development, and production work for TF Collection, Collecter's Edition, USA Edition, and the domestic introduction of TF Superlink (Energon) and assisting with new TF development. He is passionately pursuing his work.

source

So basically he's too damn modest, and he doesn't want the limelight - he'd rather let the toys shine!

• Like Like x 6
  13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aha! Kobayashi fails at ego as well!

I love you Kobayashi

• Like Like x 9
  14. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

With all the third party stuff that comes out goes to show how much money Takara is missing out on. This market could easily support 12 releases a year. Plus releasing smaller characters through the year could keep cost down some.

• Like Like x 4
  15. GearsRollo

I think you're overestimating how much money the 3P market actually represents in a year, particularly when you consider that Takara has to legally license things, which means lawyers, lawyers, lawyers.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I think we are in the same boat, my friend. I stuck to G1 VHS tapes my friends no longer wanted and mainly my Turbomasters and Predator jets and other various weird euro releases as G1 died on the shelves. I got Optimus Primal because his head kinda looked like Prime but it was just not really my vibe so I got into Power Rangers instead because they were more exciting at the time.
    TT are doing a great job on Dinobots promo material I agree, I even think the price is good at $180 from the Japanese retailers, I cant understand how all these so-called fans begged and wished for this guy for so long and are now complaining about the price/panel lines etc... so mind-boggling.

Hound & Mirage were probably my two fav car bots as a kid, never knew anyone who owned them either so I cannot wait for them! Mirage's parachute jump from the Nemesis is one of my fondest memories.
    Jazz is the next biggest milestone after Megatron & Sunny so that will always be a fun time.
    I think late 18 and the whole of 19 is going to be our year bro!
    I'm going to use this time to get my money together so I can pick up Megatron, Artfire, AKOM Hotrod Sunny and maybe grey Bape Prime among others I've regretfully missed lately.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land"

News Credits:
    Well, another companies throwing their hat into the MP combiner game. If there’s ANY truth to the whole “Takara keeps tabs on 3p” thing, I expect them to follow suit any time now.

18. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Sounds like the biggest 3rd Party releases hit around the 10k mark in units produced...but that's not the norm. Even without us knowing what kind of numbers TT releases actually do, I think it's safe to say 3rd Party is small potatoes. I think a standard 3rd Party release is 2-5k. I think a Hasbro TRU exclusive MP release is over 10k. I assume TT produces way more than a TRU Hasbro run. If TT is only going to sell 5k units, it's not worth their time. If TT isn't going to sell far better than a TRU run, that's probably not worth the effort either.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GearsRollo

The entire reason Mirage is my favourite G1 character is that he's the secret dude that doesn't really want to be there, but comes through and saves everyone in the end... end then parachutes like a boss despite being a 2-ton metal person.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Not really. You have look at 3rd party as a whole.That's reflecting so much demand it's nearly insane. As for licenses, G1 has a lot on the front end, but the bulk of characters don't need one at all. BW is all free of them, and the movie characters are most likely already licensed. I use to buy everything Transformers, spending hundreds every month. Now l only collect MPs, as do so many others. Sure not everyone can afford that, but so many of can. Honestly with sure number of characters l want 12 a year spread between G1 BW and the movies is still a snails pace.