The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Yes. I've also said this. In short a lower production run equals a more expensive figure. But that low production run could also cause his aftermarket value to shoot up if he sells out everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Yes! I wasn't bashing Dinobot or BW at all. Fact is it's more of a cult phenom than G1 and there's just no way Dinobot, no matter how great the character and the figure, is going to have a production run anywhere close to G1 Megatron's. Everyone knows who the hell G1 Megatron is and I maintain that most nerds don't know who Dinobot is except BW fans, even a lot of fellow TF fans. Dinobot's price being higher is basic supply & demand economics. I do hope the figure is a success, I should add, as his success would hopefully embolden TT to go forward with more obscure G1 characters outside of the A-list and licensed vehicles formula.

Finally just put my preorder in for MP-40 aka AKOM Hot Rod. MP-28's grown on me a lot lately, I love the crazy animation homage of 40, want to support the line, and looks like we won't be getting another G1 guy until fall '18 at the earliest. Looking forward to him, I just hope his chrome is as perfect as the Fusos.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

A lot of Transformers fans are seriously missing out then...

• Like Like x 8
  4. Megatronscrotch

Megatronscrotch Macro-Con

Whether your a beast wars fan or not, you gotta admit Dinobot is an amazing looking figure.... can't wait to get him....hopefully a G1 after him.

• Like Like x 10
  5. CarRobot

CarRobot Ninja Police Car

News Credits:
    Dinobot and Barricade look really great although for some reason, it looks like Dinobot's color in beast mode is a little off or that could just be me. How much is Barricade going to cost btw?

6. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Listen, you’re not intentionally bashing anything, but what you were doing is saying “I and my friends don’t know this character, so he must not be as important as the main villain of all of Transformers, and as a result, it’s not justifiable to charge a similar amount to Megatron,” which is just ridiculous as a comparison.

They’re selling a product that cost x to make. There are factors like expected units that will sell, parts, shipping, etc etc etc. That’s what makes a price. Dinobot might cost a bit more because they don’t expect him to move as many units as Megatron, or they’re not planning a repaint. Beast Wars isn’t niche, neither are other generations of Transformers. They are all built on the G1 foundation, but that’s a big gap between a generation of characters that brought the line back to life and “niche”.

7. 80sforged

80sforged Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I need about 1300 dollars or so worth of purchases to get caught up. So yeah, a four or five month gap to get a conehead here and there works great for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

No, dude, I'm not talking about how important Dinobot is at all. I'm talking about general popularity and recognition. Again, man, G1 Megs is an iconic pop culture character that most people know and recognize, nerds and non-nerds alike. The kind of character who has Christmas ornaments at Walmart and is still on t-shirts at mass market retailers 30 years later. Again, compared to Megatron, very few outside of BW fans or even TF fans know or care about Dinobot or how important he is. Again, I'm not commenting on BW's quality or importance. BW kept TFs alive in the 90's, but it wasn't the cultural phenomenon that G1 was in the 80s. And, again, the point is that MP Dinobot will never do G1 MP Megatron numbers, not even close, which is the best explanation as to why a figure similar in parts count/complexity/size/mass is priced around $40-50 more.

Maybe where we're not seeing eye to eye is that I think you're saying Dinobot is significantly more expensive than Megatron because he's significantly more complex, has a higher parts count, and more difficult to manufacture, where I'm assuming complexity/parts count/difficulty producing is roughly equal and TT was able to price Megatron at a lower price due to projected gangbuster sales and Dinobot at a higher price due to lower, but still healthy sales.

I think we should just agree to disagree.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 12
  9. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess we will find out if anything else is hidden in Generations soon enough. I can't see them holding back on the G1 reveals that much longer though.

On a side note that video Takara posted on youtube of Dinobot is awesome!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    There's defnitely a change to get a reveal for a G1 reveal soon, so far the latest was Sunstreaker, but i rather want them working in a long time in a well made figure than to a full set of 5 mediocre figures, 1 reveal it's enough for me, and to be honest, trailbreakr/hoist won't cath my interest unless it's blaster, hound, jazz or some decepticon. (galvatron TAKARA PLEASE)

That's really interesting!!, thx for the info. you have brought lately Sam, seriously.
    I see them in this way:

-Takara: higher budget, higher price for a project wihout compromises.
    -Hasbro: cuts and controls budget to a tolerable prices to avoid great loses (wich they get eventually).

This^

I DEFNITELY want a new line with binaltech and alternators.

Such a lost, you were a great user.

/s

• Like Like x 5
  11. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Which retailers will automatically include whatever the "hasbro asia" exclusive end up being? I've been getting my MP from AE for a while note and haven't wanted the coins, so it hasn't mattered, but it might for dinobot for me.

More on topic...seeing that last pic in the teaser video of the maximals together...that will be amazing on the shelf when they add rattrap and rhinox. Not that it was ever in doubt, per se, but showing the group ALL together at least implies intention to me.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would be retailers who get their stock from Hasbro Asia. You can exclude all the Japanese online retailers like AE, NY, HLJ etc.

US, HK based retailers usually get their stock from Hasbro Asia.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I'm really on the fence with Dinobot. He's a very cool looking MP, but that price is beyond ridiculous.
    I do want MP41 and I can afford him. I have nothing preordered past March, but I'm having a really difficult time justifying spending 250 dollars on him.

• Like Like x 3
  14. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    Same here. I want all BW MP....but Dinobot at this price point is probably just the beginning. I can't imagine the price point for the upcoming new MPs and also BW Megatron if they ever get to make one

• Like Like x 3
  15. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Well, HLJ has him for 205 dollars. That's still well over 35 dollars more than Megatron cost.
    I'd rather not have that stand, and pay a little less.

I'm going to get him, but I won't buy another MP BW character at this price, not even BW Megatron.
    I'll stick to MP G1 and MPM. I wouldn't even pay 250 for an MP Skyfire.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

If l had any complaint about Dinobot or any other MP for that matter is the long waits. G1, movies, BW's.... whatever, l long for the day we get a new MP every month.

• Like Like x 5
  17. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm game besides the occasional LG I pick up all I collect is MPs. Two hundred is a lot for one figure but due to the lack of releases, he and hot rod still leave me well below my MP budget. This year and most likely next year will probably be the least I spend due to lack of molds or repaints.

• Like Like x 3
  18. giafunk

giafunk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Japanese don't like dinos :confused2 

• Like Like x 2
  19. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here Here! :D 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    One thing to note which is mentioned in the interview is that Dinobot (and all BW characters) is designed to be articulated in both modes. I never really thought about it before, but it's two action figures in one, rather than just a figure that turns into a static car. That could go a way to explaining the price in engineering that extra articulation (when the same articulation can't be used across both modes).

• Like Like x 8