The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Destron UK

Destron UK G1 Dinobot Pro

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I'm interested to see the engineering being Dinobot, even if I don't acquire him. Larger figures have structural considerations that smaller figures can avoid (larger pieces needing thicker plastics, torsional rigidity, fewer friction joints). Plus, his alt mode is essentially all curved elements that either are difficult to hide in bot mode, or have to be neatly tucked away without excessive tabbing and partsforming.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I think a lot of the beast mode folds in on itself, maybe collapsing around the piece that forms the shoulders and collar. If you look at the shots of the raptor, you see a lot of hints of colour through the gaps that hint at it.

4. MarikZero

MarikZero Well-Known Member

The back should have no kibble:
    Dinobot1a.jpg

5. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    I am your friend now.

• Like Like x 5
  6. GearsRollo

Dayum, I think you might be right. I’m looking at the shots, and I think the chest plate with the faux-face flips over the chest cavity from a hinge anchored on the collar. Honestly, if Dinobot is where TT designers were able to pull of a sleek, no-kibble robot mode, that’d be a pretty amazing feat. Very impressive.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

Fyi, Dinobot is now up on Ami Ami - his listed retail is 30,240 JPY, which equates to approximately ~266 USD. However, Ami Ami discounts things, and Dinobot is around 30% off, making him around 21,340 JPY, approximately ~187 USD. Hopefully that will ensure more people are interested in him. Keep in mind that Ami Ami and a lot of the other Japanese vendors do require EMS shipping for packages of a certain size (100% he will be required to go EMS based on the size of the boxes), and this means to add around 2000 JPY (~17 USD) for shipping, minimum, and possibly more.

I for one am really excited, both for Dinobot and Barricade. I'm also hype about the next potential G1 reveal because I'm sure we're getting close to Hound, who I adore. It is a good time to be a Transformers fan. :3

• Like Like x 2
  8. gambitprime

gambitprime Well-Known Member

Well, MP Dinobot and MPM Barricade look very well !

Even I wasn't interested in the 2007 design, this mold is calling me so perhaps I would buy it

Dinobot looks actually looks incredible, but the problem is I am not a fan of Beast Wars

I guess the starrings in the next Generations book are this two, although I hope we would see a hint for the next G1 mold

• Like Like x 2
  9. wildfly

wildfly Formerly the next big thing.

News Credits:
  10. gambitprime

gambitprime Well-Known Member

April->Barricade
    May->Movie Ironhide
    June->TTS Exclusive

• Like Like x 2
  11. Destron UK

Destron UK G1 Dinobot Pro

News Credits:
    Sounds/feels like it's going to be a bad year for G1 fans.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Yes. I've also said this. In short a lower production run equals a more expensive figure. But that low production run could also cause his aftermarket value to shoot up if he sells out everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Yes! I wasn't bashing Dinobot or BW at all. Fact is it's more of a cult phenom than G1 and there's just no way Dinobot, no matter how great the character and the figure, is going to have a production run anywhere close to G1 Megatron's. Everyone knows who the hell G1 Megatron is and I maintain that most nerds don't know who Dinobot is except BW fans, even a lot of fellow TF fans. Dinobot's price being higher is basic supply & demand economics. I do hope the figure is a success, I should add, as his success would hopefully embolden TT to go forward with more obscure G1 characters outside of the A-list and licensed vehicles formula.

Finally just put my preorder in for MP-40 aka AKOM Hot Rod. MP-28's grown on me a lot lately, I love the crazy animation homage of 40, want to support the line, and looks like we won't be getting another G1 guy until fall '18 at the earliest. Looking forward to him, I just hope his chrome is as perfect as the Fusos.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

A lot of Transformers fans are seriously missing out then...

• Like Like x 8
  15. Megatronscrotch

Megatronscrotch Macro-Con

Whether your a beast wars fan or not, you gotta admit Dinobot is an amazing looking figure.... can't wait to get him....hopefully a G1 after him.

• Like Like x 10
  16. CarRobot

CarRobot Ninja Police Car

News Credits:
    Dinobot and Barricade look really great although for some reason, it looks like Dinobot's color in beast mode is a little off or that could just be me. How much is Barricade going to cost btw?

17. GearsRollo

Listen, you’re not intentionally bashing anything, but what you were doing is saying “I and my friends don’t know this character, so he must not be as important as the main villain of all of Transformers, and as a result, it’s not justifiable to charge a similar amount to Megatron,” which is just ridiculous as a comparison.

They’re selling a product that cost x to make. There are factors like expected units that will sell, parts, shipping, etc etc etc. That’s what makes a price. Dinobot might cost a bit more because they don’t expect him to move as many units as Megatron, or they’re not planning a repaint. Beast Wars isn’t niche, neither are other generations of Transformers. They are all built on the G1 foundation, but that’s a big gap between a generation of characters that brought the line back to life and “niche”.

18. 80sforged

80sforged Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I need about 1300 dollars or so worth of purchases to get caught up. So yeah, a four or five month gap to get a conehead here and there works great for me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

No, dude, I'm not talking about how important Dinobot is at all. I'm talking about general popularity and recognition. Again, man, G1 Megs is an iconic pop culture character that most people know and recognize, nerds and non-nerds alike. The kind of character who has Christmas ornaments at Walmart and is still on t-shirts at mass market retailers 30 years later. Again, compared to Megatron, very few outside of BW fans or even TF fans know or care about Dinobot or how important he is. Again, I'm not commenting on BW's quality or importance. BW kept TFs alive in the 90's, but it wasn't the cultural phenomenon that G1 was in the 80s. And, again, the point is that MP Dinobot will never do G1 MP Megatron numbers, not even close, which is the best explanation as to why a figure similar in parts count/complexity/size/mass is priced around $40-50 more.

Maybe where we're not seeing eye to eye is that I think you're saying Dinobot is significantly more expensive than Megatron because he's significantly more complex, has a higher parts count, and more difficult to manufacture, where I'm assuming complexity/parts count/difficulty producing is roughly equal and TT was able to price Megatron at a lower price due to projected gangbuster sales and Dinobot at a higher price due to lower, but still healthy sales.

I think we should just agree to disagree.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 12
  20. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess we will find out if anything else is hidden in Generations soon enough. I can't see them holding back on the G1 reveals that much longer though.

On a side note that video Takara posted on youtube of Dinobot is awesome!

• Like Like x 3