The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    *comes to thread ready to post interdimetional Christmas photo of bumblebee, bumblebee, and cheetor*

*reads last couple of pages*

*goes to be sad as the only person on this entire fragging board who is just happy to have MP news, regardless of line...*

• Like Like x 6
  2. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Both MPM Barricade and BW Dinobot look phenomenal!

I could do without the stands for Dinobot though, as that price hurts.

• Like Like x 9
  3. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I think Dinobot looks like he might be similarly as complex as Megatron, and the design time probably contributes to the price too. They’re not going to put up a price like that for no reason. Nobody would argue that Dinobot is more popular than G1 Megatron (at least I hope not), but basing sales projections entirely on a perception of popularity is pretty useless. He’s clearly got a lot of paint apps, complicated engineering, and parts.

You said you don’t get Beast Wars and Dinobot in particular, so it’s important to consider that your perception is probably different to Takara’s. They’re also an actual business, and when they release a product, they need to recoup their per-unit price and make a profit. Dinobot has been a really long time coming, and he’s got an exceptionally complex transformation. If you watch a little Beast Wars, you’ll see that Primal and Cheetor both transform in a way that pretty much matches their 3D models, but Dinobot’s sequence was totally fudged. That likely means he is as or more complex than Megatron.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GearsRollo

Honestly, I’m incredibly excited by both Sunstreaker and Dinobot, but this is the internet and there has to be someone flinging poo at everything.

I know you’re a Movie fan too, and the reaction to Barricade is pretty intensely negative, which does suck. Personally, I think there’s some real problems with the piece, but I have the luxury of not committing money to it on my side. I’ll say this, I’m not going to trash a figure for the sake of it. I can appreciate then design work on MPM-3 in particular, because they pulled him off really well, and MPM-4 sounds like he had some weird QC issue, but he looks damn good posed up.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    I honestly think the main problem with barricade are the usual crappy hasbro product shots. It’s like they took some pretty good shots of the figure, and dialed the contrast up just enough to obscure most of the detail. Reactions will likely turn around when we get one of those nice, full page figure king spreads in a month or so.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  6. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have no doubt he will be the BW equivalent of MP-36. The fact he will most likely be the big feature in the Generations book probably cements that. I think it's a combination of the design/production aspect of Dinobot and the BW niche being smaller than G1 is reflected in that price.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

For what it is, I think Dinobot looks good. It's not my cup of tea to grab BW figures, but he does look nice. Whether or not $250 is worth it, is a personal decision.

Hopefully, we'll get another G1 reveal now for MP-42. It should be Blaster or at least two of his cassettes.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    I do think Blaster will be revealed at the latest around the time that his first two cassettes are released.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

I was kinda hoping they did barricade based off the last knight but i had litle hope that would happen

10. Destron UK

Destron UK G1 Dinobot Pro

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I'm interested to see the engineering being Dinobot, even if I don't acquire him. Larger figures have structural considerations that smaller figures can avoid (larger pieces needing thicker plastics, torsional rigidity, fewer friction joints). Plus, his alt mode is essentially all curved elements that either are difficult to hide in bot mode, or have to be neatly tucked away without excessive tabbing and partsforming.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GearsRollo

I think a lot of the beast mode folds in on itself, maybe collapsing around the piece that forms the shoulders and collar. If you look at the shots of the raptor, you see a lot of hints of colour through the gaps that hint at it.

13. MarikZero

MarikZero Monika

The back should have no kibble:
    Dinobot1a.jpg

14. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    I am your friend now.

• Like Like x 5
  15. GearsRollo

Dayum, I think you might be right. I’m looking at the shots, and I think the chest plate with the faux-face flips over the chest cavity from a hinge anchored on the collar. Honestly, if Dinobot is where TT designers were able to pull of a sleek, no-kibble robot mode, that’d be a pretty amazing feat. Very impressive.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

Fyi, Dinobot is now up on Ami Ami - his listed retail is 30,240 JPY, which equates to approximately ~266 USD. However, Ami Ami discounts things, and Dinobot is around 30% off, making him around 21,340 JPY, approximately ~187 USD. Hopefully that will ensure more people are interested in him. Keep in mind that Ami Ami and a lot of the other Japanese vendors do require EMS shipping for packages of a certain size (100% he will be required to go EMS based on the size of the boxes), and this means to add around 2000 JPY (~17 USD) for shipping, minimum, and possibly more.

I for one am really excited, both for Dinobot and Barricade. I'm also hype about the next potential G1 reveal because I'm sure we're getting close to Hound, who I adore. It is a good time to be a Transformers fan. :3

• Like Like x 2
  17. gambitprime

gambitprime Well-Known Member

Well, MP Dinobot and MPM Barricade look very well !

Even I wasn't interested in the 2007 design, this mold is calling me so perhaps I would buy it

Dinobot looks actually looks incredible, but the problem is I am not a fan of Beast Wars

I guess the starrings in the next Generations book are this two, although I hope we would see a hint for the next G1 mold

• Like Like x 2
  18. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
  19. gambitprime

gambitprime Well-Known Member

April->Barricade
    May->Movie Ironhide
    June->TTS Exclusive

• Like Like x 2
  20. Destron UK

Destron UK G1 Dinobot Pro

News Credits:
    Sounds/feels like it's going to be a bad year for G1 fans.

• Like Like x 2