The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You left out the entirety of Beast Wars II and Beast Wars Neo. Knowing how much the MP line relies on repaints to remain viable, we can be sure we'll get numerous characters from both of these lines in the years to come, as there are several figures from the original line that got reused in the sequel lines (some of them were even being used for the first time in Japan).

• Like Like x 2
  2. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

I Would be stoked to get a Jazz with his grappling hook, sound and light show, awesome paint job and livery and hopefully his bass from the IDW comics

3. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

It's all about that robo-bass.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Is the TTS this weekend or next?

5. Goldimus Prime

Goldimus Prime Veteran

Next--
    Schedule (from their website):
    IMG_1755.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Goldimus Prime

Goldimus Prime Veteran

Which I think means 4pm WST on Thursday, June 1st we could start seeing photos ...as that corresponds to the beginning of the public day of the show.
    (Or something could leak before then? But I believe others have indicated this is rare/unprecedented.)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Enterlaw

Enterlaw Well-Known Member

I can't wait to enjoy MP Transformers: Animated figures when I'm in my 70's.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RichP

RichP KO BG Superior OG BG Inferior

Next

• Like Like x 2
  9. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
  10. GearsRollo

I think given that we got the Sunstreaker reveal this past Monday, it may mean that we, as the old skool fan community, have been given most of what we're getting for the show. Sunday might have a Dinobot/Sunstreaker thing, but it'd be pretty reasonable to expect that with the movie coming out shortly, it's going to be focused on promoting those products.

• Like Like x 2
  11. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...i understand the 'where will it end?' mentality, but the seekers, rodimus prime, and grimlock each have legitimate deficiencies which hinder their play value in a post-MP10 world: the former suffer falling-apart transformation stability and severely-limited articulation, the middle literally disintegrates in your hands unless kept as a static display piece, and the latter is cast at an entirely different scale from modern masterpiece figures...i get that engineering and aesthetics evolve over time, and i'm comfortable with that despite preferring the original real-world/toy/animation hybrid aesthetic, but i play with my toys and from that perspective those three figures come from the far side of a fundamental sea change in the masterpiece line...

...as toys, rather than as display pieces, the seekers, rodimus prime, and grimlock just can't keep up with a modern masterpiece collection, and would be deservedly ridiculed if proffered by a third-party manufacturer instead of the official line...right now several third-party manufacturers are attempting remedy those conspicuous deficiencies, to mixed results, but i have no doubt that takara could dramatically best their efforts, nor that takara have considered doing just that, so i don't think it's a tired refrain about which to speculate...

• Like Like x 3
  12. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I think it's going to be like the wonderfest.

Products of all the types. I think at least.

As they show some MPs i'd be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Not sure how they do in Japan, but clearly they're not huge money makers in N. America since only a few get released...as exclusives no less.

• Like Like x 2
  14. GearsRollo

That's a fair point, but I think that it's an issue stemming from distribution problems. There's a reasonable fan community here, but most of us either import from Japan on release, or buy via an online retailer in North America when they import from Japan, so it skews the numbers there. Then you factor in the fact that Hasbro has never done matched release dates, and those distribution issues, and you have no way of figuring out the value of Western markets without getting the info from Takara themselves.

15. OptimushedPrune

OptimushedPrune Impressive Member

News Credits:
    MP Rescue Bots.

You know you want them :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  16. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You evil bastard, with you're logical wordings!! Damn, that means more money spent by me.... crraaaaaaaaap....

• Like Like x 1
  17. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Mostly agree. These certainly could sell better if they were released at the same time at the same price or better. But they'd probably still have limited availability as I can't see Walmart, Target, and the like wanting to carry $50, $100, or $200 collectible figures. They'd rather carry the same size figures that sell for $20 or whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly, Myrrh. A 2.0 (or 3.0 in some cases) mold of Grimlock, Rodimus, the jets, and Optimus would be just as exciting for me as Hound or Jazz being announced. I want all the major players to have figures on par with Megatron and Inferno!

• Like Like x 2
  19. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    I would guess with the increasing budget they have seem to be getting the last few years, I would gather they are a big enough seller for Takara. The generation line in Japan is more collector centered than Hasbro as they skew to more original G1 than Hasbro. The main line was put on pause to accomodate the movie stuff as the last releases were in December till Godbomber in May.

I think the slow pace of the line is what puts a damper on 2.0 or 3.0 talk for some people. The talk of finishing the Diaclones and tackling minibots while also doing BW means they may be looking to speed up the pace and not take the next 20 years to just that. I assume there are other characters they want to tackle and it would be safe to assume that the diaclones are holding them back from going forward and there will be push to finish them off. I'm looking at Super Ginrai,Overlord, and Combiners and find it hard to believe that they have no interest in creating an MP versions. I wonder with minibots how would they release them would we have individual releases or would we have 3 or 6 piece gift sets.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus

News Credits:
    I'm an original gee-wunner, being 8 in 1984. To be honest, I skipped over Beast Wars and never bought any of the toys. I wound up watching the show in 2008 and thought it was pretty cool. What I've discovered is that I don't just love this line or that line, I just love Transformers. As an adult, I continue to pick up the current lines, but my favorite is Masterpiece. And while G1 is my bread and butter, I'm happy to see any figure get the MP treatment. I thought MP Primal was fantastic, and really dug Cheetor. I'd love to see TT dip into some other areas as well. I'd prefer a higher ratio of G1 toys, but don't mind other eras getting some love, especially since Car Robots is now approaching a 20th Anniversary.

I get where people are coming from - passions vary from one to the next. Just offering my 2¢

• Like Like x 7