The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

UW Devastator was $150, and the individual robots had corners cut to an embarassing degree to make that price work. There was no diecast and all the hollow bits were all sacrifices to make Devastator look the part, and honestly, he fits in pretty good with Masterpieces, except he's undersized at 18" tall. A masterpiece would need to be about 22" tall and the individual bots would have to fit the line as well. It's just absurd to me to think that the individual bots would be less than $150 each, and for that reason, I would be shocked if a masterpiece set of constructicons ever saw the light of day.

2. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Still I'm not sure I understand the reasoning that UW Devastator was $150 and to make an MP worthy one each Constructicon will have to cost the same as UW Devastator?

They all need to be Ironhide sized, right? Ironhide was what, $80? What sacrifices were made to get him at that price point - hip kibble? Not a huge sacrifice. His articulation is pretty good. Didn't all the UW Constructicons have pretty good articulation, apart from their hands? If individually they cost $25, you don't think perhaps $80 would be enough to make MP versions?

Going back to sacrifices, let's take Ultra Magnus as an example. For playabilities sake he was made to carry four cars. For whatever reason (price, parts count) his articulation was a little limited - no waist swivel, not much leg or shoulder motion. We might see similar sacrifices on each individual Constructicon for the sake of playability - in this case to make Devastator well articulated and balanced.

Takara will purposefully try to keep the price of a Devastator from being prohibitive, even if it means a couple of sacrifices along the way. They've proven that a few times, now.

Anyway, I personally think we'll see the Stunticons first :p 

• Like Like x 1
  3. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Toyworld height would be great with me. I don't know how well UW Bructicus sold, he was pretty much for sale under $100 online but Bruticus would probably be the ideal combiner because he has a legitimate Ruination repaint. Which would excite some non G1 people, whatever series he belonged too.

If they did do combiner's I think they would plan for shared engineering and parts for all them so as to cut down on cost. You would have to take the time to find which ones that would work with, but the last thing you can accuse Takara of is spur-of-the moment. I figure after discount between $100-130 with the big bugaboo being shipping and the dollar conversion whenever it happens.

4. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Consider this, constructicons need to be at least Ironhide size, maybe even seeker size, they'll have a more complex engineering since they have three modes instead of two and strong joints to support the weight of the combined form. Throw in also whatever accessory Takara decides it's needed to have a good looking Devastator (forearms and hands, chest plate and combiner head at minimun, in my opinion). I can easily see 100+ dollars for each constructicon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Just 2 weeks and a half to go until the moment of truth. Either a burst of excitement if it's Jazz or a dark cloud of mope if it's not.

6. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Well even if it's not Jazz.... there a whole slew of characters they need to do . I'm not going to mention all the MIA's ( we pretty much know whose missing from the main ark crew at this point ) , but , there's lots missing for us to be excited over .

7. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    I know Dinobot will be a big hit. I think the only characters I want Takara to make and announce are Hound, Trailbreaker, Mirage, Sunstreaker, Constructicons or any other BW Season 1 character. Other then that, there is really nothing else that would interest me. If I can get all those characters as Masterpiece toys before I grow old, then I can retire happy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Totally agree

9. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, here's an alternative I thought of: what if they made the Constructicons with partsforming combiner kibble, and then sold the repaints without those pieces at a lower cost? If each green Constructicon was $125, maybe the kibble-less yellow ones could be $90-$100? And then they could sell the combiner pieces on their own if demand was high enough. Or maybe I've been reading too many of SunSwipe's posts.

But there's this: Takara may have been able to adjust Ironhide's price down because of Ratchet, which they could bank on people also buying. For most people, one Devastator will be enough.

Now there's a bold prediction!

10. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

You forgot Jazz in that list :p 

11. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Always Jazz. Top of the List of G1 Masterpiece no doubt.

• Like Like x 2
  12. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Since I'm not really a fan of Combiners :confused2 , all I really want are individual Stunticons and (someday) Aerialbots.

I own UW Devy, Menasor, Superion and Defensor. That's more than enough for me. I really have no want or need for an MP Combiner that would be a hell of alot more expensive.

So long as Takara fills in the Jazz, Sunstreaker, Mirage, CJ and Blaster sized holes in my collection, I'm pretty happy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    IMO; i seriously don't think TT will stop producing G1's, maybe these months, but just temporally.
    Not a definitive option.

BUT, i really hope we can see jazz or the constructicons this Tokyo Toy Show (1st june).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    I just want to get Jazz over with so we can put an end to Porsche's reputation once and for all. Every day till the announcement I've been playing a pass by game I invented called, "Spot the Porsche." And yet it's only making me think Porsche will still not accept or it's encouraging me to think about getting my license again.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 80sforged

80sforged Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tokyo Toy Show should give us most of the releases for the year. If they are having movie stuff take normal MP slots I'm fine with it, same with BW. I've said before, I am really behind and a three or four month break would be nice. I need to spend at least 1k, without Dirge and Artfire to get caught up.

16. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Movie stuff is a MP-sub line tho (Optimus being MPM-04), so is kinda out of the main line.

17. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Anything from the movie line and Masterpiece is good enough for me, as long as we see lots of new figures instead of what we already know.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey, I know this is kind of off-topic, but are any of you guys buying those upgrade kits for MP Ironhide and Ratchet, to get rid of the hip panels?

I've been trying to convince myself that the hip panels don't really bother me but man, seeing the before and after pics made a HUGE difference.

Anyway, since I'm not completely off-topic, here...

Yeah, I agree. As long as the MP line is going strong the G1 stuff won't be completely out of the picture. HOWEVER, with the end of the "licensed cars/season one & two carbots", we could see a return to the days when there were maybe one or two big MP figures each year, with the smaller spots being taken over by Beast Wars stuff and what not... I guess what I'm saying is that without the smaller carbot releases, I could see the G1 stuff becoming less frequent, maybe not so much the "bread and butter" of the line... But we'd still see the big, iconic characters like Galvatron, Sixshot, Blaster, maybe a Triple Changer or two (or three), etc.

If we end up getting a preview on June 1st, I'd LOVE it to be Jazz. I think Arcee would be a pretty cool thing to see, too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Most of us want a Jazz. One reason I want is anything that is close to a Porsche. I can't drive or afford one, just owning a replica of one is good enough, but I don't buy model cars or Hot Wheels.

But back to my point, it's been a long time we got a Porsche Jazz. I definitely see huge reactions if we get one. I think I would have a heart attack if they announced one. Then again, when have we ever predicted the next Transformer and it actually was the one we predicted.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Optimus Prime15

Optimus Prime15 Well-Known Member

I can't remember but wasn't the last movie year a little sparse in the way of masterpiece releases?

• Like Like x 2