The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, the question of "retiring" hinges, perhaps appropriately, on age. I've past 40 now, and I'm cognizant of the fact that I'm entering a phase of life when sudden health catastrophes or necessary surgeries are not entirely unheard of. It's a bit irresponsible to keep growing this collection and never consider the burden unloading it could be to family members (or even to me, were I to become permanently handicapped or incapacitated). So thinking about no longer buying Transformers and liquidating the collection is something roaming around in the back of my mind now, where it wasn't before, just because I don't want to saddle my wife and parents with the task of getting rid of all this, or paying someone else to do it (which I'm sure would be the option they'd go for). By no means do I ever consider not being a fan anymore, or even buying a new figure here and there, but I feel my days of collection-building are coming to a close in the next ten years. We'll see how I feel at 50.

• Like Like x 4
  2. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Well said, I think that's my thing about progress. I would love to finish what I started but sometimes I can help but wonder if this in the long run is worthwhile. 3 or 4 g1 releases a year wouldnt bother me so much if i was still in my twenties or earlier thirties but its kind of frustrating because Takara must realize they have only so much of a window with the hardcore G1 crowd. It would just be nice to get some of characters I love while I'm in a situation to enjoy them. My nephew has already told me if something happens to me he's selling all of them so no worries on that end.:D 

• Like Like x 2
  3. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

This right here is why if you want to get as many G1 characters as you can, you gotta go 3rd party. You could possibly wait YEARS to get everything you want, and we aren't gonna live forever.

4. TylerB

TylerB Well-Known Member

Yep, looking forward to slowing down, I doubt I'll ever stop, but I've gotten most of my must haves so the rest will be few and far between.

5. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    I don't even thinks its about getting all the figures. More like an effort to put out as many as they can.I don't expect to get every S1/S2 character but I would love to see them take a stab at some minibots or a headmaster or Armada starscream. Sometimes you get the feeling there's no sense of urgency when in reality everything has an expiration date. Maybe its the way Japanese businesses look at things, where a foreign company would strike while the iron is hot so to speak.

6. Megatronscrotch

Megatronscrotch Macro-Con

Agreed

7. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    If an MP Hound is redecoed into Detritus, would that rule out Outback for quite a while? They're both beige off-road vehicles.

8. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At face value, no, I don't think so. IF they were intending to do Brawn soon, they may try & space them out a bit, but I don't think Detritus itself would block Outback.

I think the bigger issue is just getting Brawn made in the first place, given we're still not seeing minibots or hints of minibots post-Bumblebee. If we can just get Brawn, Outback should follow some point afterwards.

9. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

Damn, got rather morose in here ... just entered the dirty thirties myself so I feel energized for the big push, finally with the discretionary income to blow and thankfully no children in tow ... but yeah, my gpa passed several yrs ago, an avid collector of Lionel train sets, model cars, kaleidoscopes, you name it, and it was a definite wake-up call watching his adult children hamfistedly cherry-pick his collection and grouse about, discarding the carrion without the shrug of a shoulder ... here one day, gone tomo I guess ... but isn't this why we collect? To memorialize what is essentially meaningless, in a middle finger salute to the inexorable march of time??

10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Bingo. I'm definitely coming towards a defined end, MT Jazz and BC Gears complete season 1 Autobots and they're out now, S1 Deceptions are complete, S2 'cons just need Dirge and Blitzwing and they're due after CNY so I'm literally a Skids announcement away from a physical finishing line as I'm not sure I want 6+ titan scale combiners as that's serious real estate. I probably will get the last 4 main Headmasters though as I've already started but I have a feeling they're on the back burner for 3ps.

When I'm there I can stop buying easily. Money can go to pad out the holiday funds faster.

11. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Following on from your logic the September/October release slot for the MP line has fairly consistently been carbots. Following on from Prime in September 2012 we got Prowl in September 2013 (Bluestreak and Smokescreen in the three months after), Wheeljack in September 2014 (followed by Bumblebee two months later) and Tracks in November 2015 (originally meant to be released in September). Followed by Road Rage and Ironhide.

2016 was interrupted by the release of Primal, but we may return to a September-scheduled carbot this year. Would be pretty sweet if that carbot was Jazz.

I agree that we may get a larger Autobot at the end of the year, but I disagree that it would be a long-awaited one. I'm pretty convinced that the long-awaited character is Jazz. It'll take a really strong argument to convince me otherwise. Perhaps the other larger characters we'll get at year's end could be Trailbreaker in November and Hoist in January. In that case you may still get your Galvatron in March/April 2018.

Hell, can't wait to find out!

12. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I totally get the "retirement" angle. My primary collecting focus is GI Joe, and I'm more or less already there, as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't mean I still won't buy the odd post-87 figure or odd collector's item but now that I've got a Flagg (minus a few pieces I will need to replace on it), it's all pretty casual at the moment.

Other than Masterpiece Transformers, I'm pretty much at the point where I'm just casually picking up the odd '80s toy item I find to add to my "general nostalgia" collection, usually locally. Gone are my days of scouring eBay and the like... I'm looking forward to the point where I'm at that with Transformers, too - but maybe I already am? The releases aren't exactly coming fast and furious... And I think I can probably live with just one MP combiner (i.e. Devastator) and maybe that FT Omega Supreme (sorry folks, but I really don't think an official one is coming for that guy!), in terms of the really big characters. Past that, it's probably going to be very casual for me as well - I'd still be up for picking up whatever piques my interest from time to time, but it'll be nice having a "complete" season one and two collection, too.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    I think we'll get an Omega after Trypticon but it won't be classed as a Masterpiece and it'll probably not look as good as FT either

14. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well, yeah. I don't count that CHUG stuff. :) 

15. Enterlaw

Enterlaw Well-Known Member

I think Bumblebee definitely goes there. He's the HUMINT (BOTINT?) gatherer of the Autobots. We're also told he's an excellent spy. He belongs.

Eh, not JUST A DOCTOR. He's their chief medical officer while they're stranded on a hostile planet w/ no backup. He travels with Prime. He's "probably" in charge of meeting the medical needs of all Autobots (I'm sure he delegates to others, like Fixit and First Aid). I'd also throw in Wheeljack. Sure, he's technically a weapons engineer (if I'm correct), but he's also heavily relied on for other engineering feats fairly often. He's probably like the Quartermaster for the Autobots, in charge of maintaining weapons/creating munitions. He probably has a fairly sizable role in helping shape Prime's long-term strategies (provisions are a huge part of maintaining an army).

Soundwave is probably best described as a cross between Ironhide and Jazz. Megatron doesn't seem the type to share his inner thoughts, but if he did, it would probably be to Soundwave. I know Soundwave is cold, aloof, and back-stabbing, but he's also wholly dedicated to the Decepticon cause, and no one embodies that more than Megatron (with Starscream a close second, let's be honest). Soundwave would give him a good sounding board, fills in the holes in Megatron's strategies and gets them to work as best as possible. Plus, as the spymaster, he also employs the tapes to carryout the special ops roles. Also, lets be honest, he's probably one of the more successful characters. He gets HIS part of the operation DONE. Still, as far as rank goes, I don't think that the Decepticons are super engaged in that. Most of them are psychopaths for crying out loud. The only rank that really matters to the Decepticons is power/strength/ambition. Megatron's at the top, the rest are all below. You want to get ahead? Kill your boss/make him look bad/succeed. This is like the Trump method of leadership (from what I've read) - pick strong people with strong opinions who do not always agree with each other, let the cream rise to the top. Under Megatron, the triumvirate is Soundwave/Shockwave/Starscream. And this pretty much works out as they all check each other somewhat. Soundwave is the total believer in the cause; Shockwave is somewhat a believer but also ambitious; Starscream is pure ambition, not so much a believer as much as an opportunist. When these three or 2/3 agree with a move, it's probably the one Megatron will go with. He clearly relies on them the most so they MUST provide some level of reliability, which is really saying something when you consider that Starscream is LITERALLY shooting him in the back on a reasonably consistent basis. Who says Megatron isn't forgiving?

As for Scrapper, he probably somewhat belongs to Megatron's circle, if not his inner circle. Scrapper's actually kind of humble and unambitious. I don't think he really WANTS to be the leader. Yeah, yeah, I know, the movie, but that was really the more egotistical Hook leading that scrum. Scrapper seems to be in the Wheeljack position, chief engineer. And, for the most part, he ALSO gets his job done. He's one of the few non-psycho Decepticons who are happy where they are, do their jobs, and have nearly no ambition.

Nah, if we get an MP Brawn, we'll get an MP Outback.

• Like Like x 3
  16. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I think a lot of this was why there was a push to get Shockwave out last year. Takara's had Soundwave and Starscream out for ages, so you get Megatron's last big lieutenant out, and then BAM! the man himself. Crowd goes wild.

It is tougher for the Autobots, licensing and stuff aside, they are a much bigger cast. If they do get Jazz out though, you'll definitely have all the top-ranking season 1 folks. Bumblee is on of the franchise characters and the POV character to bring them into human society, so he kind of gets a special status in that list too, even though he's something like the second lowest ranked Auotbot in the crew before Hoist.

The whole leadership structure illustrates a lot about the different attitudes of the two groups though. Decepticons are very survival of the fittest, reflected by the fact that all of their top dogs are big, tough, and brilliant, but also prone to having their own agendas and their own groups within the team.

The Autobots are much more arranged like a police force that's gone military with the big leader in Prime, strategist/number 2 in Prowl (Trailbreaker would be under Prowl directly, I'd say), spymaster who's almost independant in Jazz (probably 'Bee's direct report), medical with Ratchet, quartermastery/engineering with Wheeljack, and Special Services/Training (like bodyguard) with Ironhide. If you look at it that way, most of the characters fit under one of them fairly neatly. There'd be some overlap, but that's pretty normal in any civilian agency.

17. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

After the 3P Jazz and Gears are acquired, which could even be before the end of the month, I only have 4 more on my season 1 list, which is my primary goal...all of which have 3P offerings available. Hound and Trailbreaker's 3P offerings are both good enough to buy, but I think they are sure things officially. I'll try to wait...but I could be tempted to just bite and be done with them if I find great prices on them. And then there's Brawn and Cliffjumper, which I don't care for the current available offerings, but may get stuck buying or waiting a couple more years for alternatives. Also trying to decide if I want to get FT's Skyfire to replace Kronos, who I actually think looks great...and I don't really much play with my figs any more so I'm unsure if I should bother dropping the extra $200+.

From there, there are 10 season two and movie characters left that I'm interested in, but don't necessarily need. I will pick them up as they're done officially or I find killer deals...or until I decide piss on it, I'm just done. I'd ideally like the season two combiners, but I don't think I'm willing to commit primarily the $, or secondarily, the space for them. But that's a doable home stretch. I should probably be done within a couple years, if not sooner.

18. Sylent

Sylent Haslab Unicron: 8,000+ backers - 0 days remaining

You know, I'm in my mid-40's, and I never put that much thought into my collecting. In addition to MP TF's, I have all kinds of superhero figures, Hot Wheels and comic books, all worth a decent return if sold. My wife always jokes that she'll have a garage sale if I meet an untimely demise, but I never seriously thought about how much trouble it would be for a non-collector to liquidate my collection. In a perfect world, I suppose I could have an underground crypt with detolfs displaying my collection and mummified body.

• Like Like x 1
  19. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    It doesn't matter when anybody is done collecting here, the MP line will go on comfortably for many years to come. There is nothing that will stop the MP train.

20. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Unless too many decide they're done collecting and there aren't enough new fans to keep it highly profitable. The MP train wasn't much of a train its first 8 years or so... But it probably has a decent handful of years left in it.