The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    But if the companies under the VW umbrella are autonomous then Porsche don't have to follow VW's lead. It isn't that simplistic in that because one does it they all have to.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

That may be true, but if it is, is there a quote from Porsche that states that they don't wish to be involved in war toys? If there is, I'd love to see a link saying that. If there isn't a link showing a statement from someone at Porsche, then it's all hogwash.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    It might not be anything to do with war toys, it could be something else entirely.

Money talks though, I'd never say never.

• Like Like x 3
  4. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Most likely this. If it was a firm no ( we don't do war toys for exampel ) TT probably wouldn't have tried after Alternators, more like no until some condition is met.

5. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Agreed. I'm not getting hung up on whether or not the issue is for sure due to war toys...or the dude in change of Porsche is a Macross or Gobots fan and has some vendetta against TFs. It DOES appear, though, that there is a licensing hangup and TT has apparently admitted as much. Couldn't care less whether the true reason is war toys, another dumb reason, or Porsche simply demands X dollars for any licensing and that's Y dollars more than TT can offer and still be profitable.

As far as we know TT hasn't tried at all. I think the Alternators deal was all Hasbro...and at the time, there was no TT. The Alt/BT line was pretty much coming to an end about the time the Takara/Tomy merger was going into effect. And Tomy was the one with car company relationships...the TF side was Takara.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Porsche's official statement when approached by Takara (or Hasbro, or whoever) for a license for the Alternators/Binaltech line (taken from tfarchive and quoted on Jazz's tfwiki page):

"Transformers are not worthy [of] carrying the Porsche trademark. They are war machines, and the toyline in no way represents the lifestyle and ideas which Porsche represents."

This statement, and the fact there's been no licensed Porsche Transformer since then, is what all speculation regarding Porsche's current stance is based on. If you wish to believe their position has changed (and it may well have, it's been over twelve years), feel free. For what it's worth, I think Jazz is the most plausible option for the figure Takara's teasing, so I believe either a license has been obtained or Takara has given up any hope of ever getting one and are doing Jazz without it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. gambitprime

gambitprime Well-Known Member

My candidates for the "Big Name Award" are:

God Ginrai
    Victory Leo
    Fortress/Cerebros (not Maximus)
    Chromedome
    Skyfire
    Jazz
    Sixshot
    Overlord

• Like Like x 1
  8. Noobimus Prime

Noobimus Prime Well-Known Member

Could they do a fortress only figure? I think it's oils be kind of odd to have a figure that transforms into a head but not have the body

9. gambitprime

gambitprime Well-Known Member

Well, I think he could be compatible with LG Fortress Maximus' body

10. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is also worth pointing out that the quote in question came from an anonymous poster on a messageboard who claimed to work for Porsche who called their licensing dept and whoever picked up the phone told him that. Even if it happened exactly how he said, we don't know who he called or what power they have in these things.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Dista

Dista Old Skool Crackhead

I wouldn't be surprised if the BIG NAME turns out to be V3 Convoy - "ALL NEW! ANIMATION VERSION!"

Simply because the last time they announced an announcement liked this was the soundchip in the final release of MP-01. I remember the speculation back then, too...

• Like Like x 3
  12. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    That is worth pointing out. It's further worth pointing out that, regardless of whether that statement came from Porsche's Chief Of Handing Out Licensing Contracts or a receptionist on a tall chair speaking out of turn, the licensing deal did fall through, and it was almost certainly not Hasbro/Takara to blame.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

Yes but the message also said it was someone long-anticipated. I have to say, it's really only Jazz who fits the bill.

14. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    So does Galvatron. Mp09 needs his arch nemesis.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    This "statement" is known formally as hearsay. It it completely unverifiable and frankly sounds a little silly. And who is the person making said statement and how do they have the right to speak on behalf of Porsche?

We have never had a direct statement from these companies, only massive conjecture from fans and innuendo from Hasbro. It never made any logical sense that licenses were rejected because of decades old war implications - here's what does make sense:

1. Hasbro negotiates. Hasbro is cheap. No license is granted. Hardly any exotic licenses granted in fact. Most cars are pedestrian, mass produced, US or Japan based.
    2. TakaraTomy negotiates. TakaraTomy are willing to spend the money to make a good product (more paint, remolding, etc). License is granted. Exotic cars are back.

Those are the facts as we know them for VW. I wouldn't suspect Porsche is much different considering Lambo has also played ball. Rather, as I have stated many times, it is more likely the Martini livery cause a problem if there even is a problem when it comes to MP Jazz. With Wheeljack, they not only got permission for the Lancia but also the Alitalia livery. But there is a big difference between an Airline and an Alcohol company when it comes to toys.

Keep in mind Megatron is MP-36. Optimus was MP-10. 26 spot gap there. This line is not designed to get the top characters out first - it is a mix. This is what has helped create such strong longevity despite the infrequent releases and small numbers. Just look at this thread.

Your long anticipated character could be many different characters as we can see by the thread as well. Remember when they said MP-20 was a license they had been working on for awhile? Nobody was really guessing Wheeljack. I don't think we should jump to conclusions, but it is fun to speculate. Just don't be disappointed and keep an open mind.

• Like Like x 6
  16. DinoSnarl

DinoSnarl Obese chocoholic

News Credits:
    Is that really the case though?
    LEGO is taking Lepin (a Chinese lego copier) to court very soon.

17. Markus76

Ah, thank you.

With this statement being 11 years old, I suspect much has changed since Porsche's merger with Volkswagen in 2011. I am of the belief that Jazz will come, and I'm not 100%, but a strong 95% convinced that he will come in 2017.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Markus76

I have my doubts on that considering there is a reissue of MP-10 coming in April. That would be incredibly low of Takara to release a new Prime shortly after that.

19. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    MP-1L release date: 26 March 2011
    MP-10 release date: 24 September 2011

Not only have they done it before, they've done it with Prime before.

I'm just saying. ;) 

• Like Like x 5
  20. unexistance

unexistance MP Gen-0 Collecting Officer

since we're still talking about Jazz Licensing, IF any Porsche car made it in the Bay movies, that would be a GREAT indicator on Prosche stance... Is there?