The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Flash1087

Flash1087 Maybe in an Alternate Dimension

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So Artfire rules and I'm super shocked to see him, which is a discussion in and of itself - is the Nissan license up already? Does the Mitsubishi license end sooner so they gotta run out every Fuso now (meaning we'll get eHobby Hauler sooner than later)? Whooooo knooooooows~

HOWEVER, the important thing here is this: OFFICIAL TAKARA -MASTER FIGURES! Rodimus doesn't count, he existed as a figure without the Targetmaster anyway, but now we have a 100% Takara Targetmaster! I want to buy one just to show Takara I support the idea of them doing more Master-type figures down the line, even if they're just starting with this one to test the waters as it were. I'm not saying I'm exactly expecting Crosshairs out of this, but honestly I don't think we're above seeing a re-issue of MP Hot Rod with a Targetmaster included, or maybe even a Masterpiece Chromedome or something like that.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You know, I was all for getting Artfire and Stepper out of this line, but now that he's been officially announced, I'm having trouble justifying the decision to order him. I like Headmasters and Targetmasters, but since he wasn't in the cartoon, I'm thinking I could just save a bit of cash on this. He's not particularly cheap, after all...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had to double-check to be sure, but this "Nightstick" was originally Fracas, Scourge's partner, in the US. Cyclonus' Nightstick became Nebulon, Stepper's partner.

Why Takara kept one name and used it on the opposite Targetmaster, who knows, but it's confusing as hell.

So this Nightstick would pair with Scourge, and Stepper's guy would pair with Cyclonus, if/when we get a Stepper.

(All that aside, a tiny Galvatron pilot for Cyclonus would be really cool.)

It's definitely a good first step, that's for sure. I would think a more notable test of the -Master characters would be one of them, like Chromedome, to gauge interest. I don't know if it'll happen, but I'm hopeful they'll try. Artfire happening doesn't make me dramatically more hopeful, but it doesn't hurt to see it, especially if a toy-based Headmasters character that's the third use of a large Autobot car mold still sells well.

As for another Hot Rod w/Firebolt, I've looked to the Collection reissues of Hot Rod & Kup with their US Targetmasters brought over as at least a small precedent that it's possible, but after Firebolt was left out of MP-28 I'm not anticipating it. Maybe if they got creative and released Firebolt separately and as part of a new MP-28 release with Firebolt included. I'm not optimistic Firebolt is worth enough for them to bother, even with a notable character like Hot Rod.

4. Flash1087

Flash1087 Maybe in an Alternate Dimension

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See, that's interesting - I have the Japanese Hot Rod reissue which held his original guns so clearly the non-Targetmaster molds were available (contrary to some talk I've heard about how they needed to use the Targetmaster molds) so clearly there's some interest in getting those versions back out there. I think Chromedome is a good next step for Masters, but the fact Artfire exists and has what looks like a pretty cool version of his Targetmaster shows me TT is at least interested in doing it; maybe after Artfire and Chromedome test the waters (because look who you're talking to, people - we ain't getting Stepper too soon ;) ) we could see them explore it farther.

But step 1 is for a ton of people to buy Artfire to show that we care about Master-era characters! VOTE WITH YOUR WALLETS, FRIENDS!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Random thought ... an MP Transformers Prime Knockout would be so sweet!

6. DinoSnarl

DinoSnarl Banned

News Credits:
    So, MP-37 is Artfire. Don't think anybody predicted that one did they?
    Can't say I'm surprised...

7. Megatronscrotch

Megatronscrotch Macro-Con

Artfire is beautiful and easily preordered...I never got into target or headmasters back in the day and now here's my chance. He will look great with Delta Magnus, Clampdown and Roadrage... personally I'm stoked at how the Masterpiece line is going...hoping to see a triple changer (Astrotrain) soon...

• Like Like x 1
  8. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wait... are people surprised that Artfire is MP-37, or surprised at Artfire happening at all?

I don't think anyone can really predict who's coming next with ANY accuracy - but I always thought Artfire was a given. Easy repaint, after all - one of the things Takara loves when it comes to choosing characters for this line!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wanted to pull this out before it gets buried. Is there any likelihood to this? Do the names look similar in Japanese? Because this could totally kill the Skyfire speculation. @TCracker! Do you still cautiously vouch for Skyfire?? I must know!

• Like Like x 1
  10. DinoSnarl

DinoSnarl Banned

News Credits:
    Oh, but there are apparently some soothsayers on this thread who must never be questioned.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think most of us are surprised he was 37, dont think anyone was expecting him this soon. I was surprised they already had the targetmaster developed. We havent seen a prototype reveal since Cheetor (Megatron was leaked we probably would have had seen him in the magazine reveal). Seems like most of this stuff was well in the pipeline. Does make one wonder what they have been working on.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Speaking only for myself, I never gave Artfire much thought one way or another beyond just assuming he'd exist sooner or later. I can't recall if I ever devoted any serious speculation as to whether he'd be an exclusive or general retail.

13. fifield53

fifield53 Deceptichops

I can't help but be disappointed with the Artfire reveal. I'm happy for everyone who likes him but I'm dying for more mainstream releases. And i hope the Skyfire rumor wasn't just confusion about Artifre seeing as they both have "fire" in their name and it could have been lost in translation. Anyway, here's my wishlist:

Jazz
    Hound
    Sunstreaker
    Mirage
    Trailbreaker
    Hoist
    Skids
    Kup
    Arcee
    Springer
    Blurr
    Wreckgar
    Blaster - eject, rewind, ramhorn, steeljaw
    Preceptor
    Skyfire
    Wheelie
    Cliffjumper
    Brawn
    Huffer
    Windcharger
    Gears
    Powerglide
    Warpath
    Seaspray
    Cosmos
    Beachcomber
    Dinobots - new Grimlock, Slag, Sludge, Snarl, Swoop

Galvatron
    Cyclonus
    Scourge/sweeps
    Reflector
    Insecticons
    Astrotrain
    Blitzwing
    Gnaw

• Like Like x 3
  14. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't necessarily disagree; before confirmation that Firebolt wouldn't be thrown in with Hot Rod, I remember balking at people stating because Firebolt wasn't used in Headmasters that Takara didn't know or care enough to do it, when they went to the trouble of remolding the Collection Hot Rod release so he could wield both his standard weapons and Firebolt (same with Kup). That was something they never had to do, for characters that Japanese audiences weren't familiar with, yet they did.

Somewhat outside the box idea - what if they don't release Firebolt on its own, or re-release MP-28 with it, but finally do a Black Rodimus and throw Firebolt in there? Redecos carrying accessories for the original has happened, though a transforming gun's a bit different than a couple faces...but still!

Definitely, Artfire was a given.

I'm curious about this as well. I know nothing about speaking or reading Japanese beyond what Google Translate tells me, so I have no idea if a mistranslation or misinterpretation like this is even possible, but I'd like to know too if the sources that have talked up Jetfire to insiders are still cautiously talking that up or if this was an oopsie.

• Like Like x 1
  15. namyaw

namyaw Autobots! Transform and roll out!

When is Masterpiece Dirge gonna to get a street date?

I think it was shown this summer.

16. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Names are the same as in English. Even google translate translates them correctly from Japanese to English so I'm pretty sure there's no correlation between the two.

17. Noobimus Prime

Noobimus Prime Well-Known Member

That's a great question. Given the issues with Ramjet and Thrust I wonder if this was pushed back so they could avoid any issues with this release as well.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

I also find it interesting that the Skywarp reissue was pushed back to a potential December release. I have that preordered from BBTS and am anxiously waiting for him, as well as Dirge to complete my "original 6" G1 cartoon seeker set(Sunstorm and Acid Storm were in one episode, I don't count them ha)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Or they could pull Black Ironhide. Seems like the kind of thing they'd do especially after Silverstreak.
    I honestly would've expected Stepper to be the retail release anyway as they seem to go for new characters first and the same character later.
    We had Red Alert, Tigertrack, and G2 Lambor within that time frame though so it's not like we went three years without any Lambor reuses. Clampdown was never the only reuse to be expected unlike Black Ironhide where he's likely the only other use we'll get (lest they do an anniversary green Ratchet or someting.)
    Cyclonus was particularly interesting because he had the wrist socket Target On! gimmick. I wouldn't be surprised if that was something someone at TakaraTomy suggested, especially since in the US releases at least it's undocumented.
    As for Masters, the first MP Takara Master is technically Star Saber ;) 
    I don't think we'll see MP28 with Firebolt unless they retool the little dude. I could seem rereleasing MP9 and making Firebolt some exclusive promo incentive from somewhwere. Who knows though.
    You could always get him later if you feel like it. These days MP figures seem guaranteed to go on sale often enough.
    Maybe they switched the names to make up for for not screwing of Frumble and Renzy
    I agree on Artfire not being much of a test. He's still a mold reuse; they're not investing into a brand new mold for a more well known character which would be much more of an indicator.
    There were two Takara reissues. There was the standard C-69 version which overall looks like the original Takara G1 release and then there's the Collections (the white bookbox line) where they reissued (or relative to Japan, issued for the first time) Targetmaster Hot Rodimus albeit also including the regular Hot Rodimus weapons (with retooled pegs I believe). The one I have and the one you're talking about is probably the first but the two lines ran within some proximity of each other and there a few overlaps like Convoy and Megatron who'd had reissues not long before but still got issued under that line.
    I was surprised he was MP37 quite frankly. I didn't expect him to be a retail figure nor this soon. I'm pretty sure anyone who knows who Artfire is knew he was given.
    Who knows;they're planning to use the Seeker mold for Starscream as well. I don't know
    I count them as seekers but the "original six" way of thinking makes perfect sense to separate them.On point though perhaps Skywarp was slated for late November and will come out early Decepmber?

20. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Can they use this mold to make Onslaught? Or is he a mold unique to himself?