The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

I'm really torn on the "+" thing. For instance, I'd love to see Bumblebee, Bluestreak, and Wheeljack in more anime accurate colors, but not at the expense of the make / model insignias and the earlier releases' painted finishes - sans Wheeljack, of course. And definitely not at the expense of the classic symbols synonymous with our favorite robots in disguise.

In fact, I just talked myself out of being torn. I hope this "+" thing continues to be treated as an option, rather than a definitive version.

Have fun, all!

2. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    Actually, you just brought up the one guy I want most for the + treatment - Bumblebee. I always preferred his G2 MP to the original one, as the original one was too orange and kind of garish even if his mold is awesome and I thought the more muted gold of the G2 release suited him better. If we could get more of a 'canary yellow' MP+ release for him, I will happily make it the fourth time I've bought Bumblebee and I might even be tempted to sell my original release.

3. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    This + line takes me back to my first entry into Masterpieces. Walmart Starscream. I was just blown away by the paint job on him with all the panel lining. To me he looked like what I now come to prefer for MPs; a real world looking alt mode that transformed into a pretty good bot. I still prefer the Walmart Starscream to the plain MP-11/TRU SS releases despite the mold "improvements."

I don't hate the recent MPs or anything, I think Shockwave is great, but the + line discussion brought me back to what I really would prefer for the line.

4. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I look at it this way:

The main MP line is still there for those who prefer the real world alt modes, Official insignias, etc.

The + line is there for those who want the more accurate toon colors, and don't mind shelling out a little more for it.

Personally speaking, I'll double dip on the main line and buy the toon accurate colors that appeal to me. If I really like it, I can always double dip, even if they are a little pricier.

It's not mandatory to buy both, if you don't want to. Yea, I get that it sucks TT is going with the pricier TTMall route. I would rather they did a general release, too. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

Those who really want them are going to buy them. :) 

5. TylerB

TylerB Well-Known Member

I want Red Alert+, but with it being a Takara Mall exclusive I'm skipping it. It might be harder for me to skip a more toon accurate deco Wheeljack and Bumble.

6. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have you heard from those retailers you contacted about putting up preorders yet?

7. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

BBTS got back to me. They said they would be putting up preorders, but didn't say when. I'm still waiting on TFS to respond.

I also asked TCP and CP. Waiting to hear back from them, too. I know Sidecutter put out an email saying he caught a bug at the last Convention and wasn't feeling all that well, so it might be a little bit until I get a response. Get well soon Sidecutter.

8. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the update, SunSwipe5!

And feel better, Sidecutter!

9. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    I don't think it's "doom and gloom" nor is it too much of a stretch to think that this is the direction the line is going in. The signs are there. Ironhide and Shockwave's designs are influenced by the cartoon. Shockwave even includes animation-accurate symbols.

Red Alert is being released in the most animation-accurate deco yet, even going so far as to not paint the headlights or taillights. I don't see why anyone would prefer such a thing, but they're doing it.

To me that indicates very much that the line could be moving away from Hasui's vision of real world alt mode with toy and toon inspired robot, to toys that are simply inspired by the cartoon. I imagine the + releases will update the previous releases to the cartoon aesthetic, as much as possible anyway. We'll still have all those sculpted details, they'll just be unpainted. Personally, I think that's a shameful waste of good sculpts.

So is it that out of the question to think that NEW releases will also be based on the simpler animation models? Smoother sculpts. Less paint. Like the Sunbow model sheets come to life.

If that's the case, it'll make it a lot easier on my wallet, cause I have no need for such toys on my shelf. I already passed on the Animated toy line once. I hope this isn't the case, but I think calling people "paranoid" is unfair. There ARE signs that this could be the direction the line is going forward.

I guess if/when we finally see the next new mold revealed, we'll find out.

10. DinoSnarl

DinoSnarl Obese chocoholic

News Credits:
    Yeah perhaps the "Real Car" series was proving too expensive or too difficult for certain characters. If I remember correctly, in one Hasui's interviews he said that there was a lively discussion about wether a certain minibot should be real scale or chibified.

Perhaps they decided that cartoon accurate would be the best solution to getting out the rest of the characters.

11. tco

tco Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am personally quite fed up with the additional line of "plus" line, don't we have too many repaints? As a loyal official masterpiece collector, I seriously consider to sell off all my toys and quit the line since I'm sick with how TT milking dry the same mould over and over again.

12. Havok1891

Havok1891 Well-Known Member

What's so bad about this + line? If it helps fund more figures that haven't been made at all (directly or indirectly I'd think it would have to), go for it. I figure the reasons to complain are either "it's delaying something new" or "now I have to buy that too, or wish I got that first."

Heck, if anything I need breaks between these pricey figures. And I certainly don't need to buy every one of them. I am no Beast Wars fan or Diaclone collector (not yet anyway) so when I see something like a Beast Wars figure or Delta Magnus on the "coming up list" I groan for a second because it isn't Cliffjumper, Jazz, etc . . . but then I am relieved because I can work on cultivating funds for someone out there I do want.

It def. seems like Shockwave is an issue a lot of people here complain about. Anyone else think he wasn't painted up as well as he could have been because the "+ Line" was in the works and that version will be painted better?

I ask because I don't have him yet . . . and maybe now I have a better reason to wait (a better reason besides getting Hotrod, Ratchet, Magnus, and more first).

13. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Wow, that's quite some over reaction. FYI, you don't have to buy any repaints of any figures you already own.

Ppl seem shocked at all the repaints but the truth is it's been happening since the early 80's.

14. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

We can never have too many repaints.

Repaints = win for everybody.

Takara gets to make more money from an existing mold.
    Fans who want those particular variants get what they want.
    Fans who don't get to save money.

15. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Meh. I'll just pass on any + repaints of characters I already have. No one's forcing you to buy them. The only non-seeker, non-cassette, non-separate character repaint I've bought is the G2 Bumblebee, and that's only because my very first Transformer toy ever was the G2 shiny gold Bumblebee lol.

16. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

I'll be surprised if we get more than two or three + releases per year. Isn't that about the rate of the Diaclone homages?

I love the idea of the + line, but I do hope they rethink painting over headlights and other car details and keep some silver paint and chrome where appropriate.

17. Prowl 76

Prowl 76 Well-Known Member

These are my feelings exactly.

Issuing more repaints is a total non-issue to me. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

What concerns me is all the dots connecting to suggest the line has rebooted to a new style that will leave the MP collection I have amassed incomplete. And the '+' line is the strongest indication of that yet.

It appears increasingly evident that what drew me back to TF collecting (real world cars and sophisticated bot representations) is being progressively cast aside for simplistic cartoonish representations that myself (and many others, by the sounds of it) don't have as much interest in. Especially if they eschew real car forms for something more stylized. That would just be a shame.

It's still speculation and we'll have to see how things play out, but it seems to some of us that the line is veering off in the wrong direction.

Happy for those getting the super toony versions they want (Danny Boy, I'm looking at you), but just want to believe those of us who still want real cars / more sophisticated real-world finishes won't be cast aside.

Again, have to see how it plays out. But it's a little concerning.

18. Enterlaw

Enterlaw Well-Known Member

Not picking on Prowl, but c'mon guys, literally ONE "+" repaint and everything we know about the line has changed? Talk about an over-reaction.

If the re-release of MP Red Alert was just given the new "toon accurate" paintjob without the "+" maybe then that would be good evidence that TT was moving in this direction.

Seriously, if you don't want this repaint, don't buy this repaint. If enough people don't want this, they won't make them. It's not rocket surgery.

Also, look, we're all going to disagree with little things all the time. There's never going to be an MP where every aspect is perfect to each of us all the time. For example, I LOVE my MP-Shockwave, his coloring, almost everything about (I wish the head could "lock" into position, but this is minor), but clearly, looking at the boards, this is incredibly divisive. I don't get it, but hey, different strokes.

My speculation is that they next MP post-MunkyPrime is going to be a licensed vehicle that's going to look JUST as good as the previous MPs. It'll be a nice blend of real-world and cartoon accurate. Just like they said the MP line should be. Or course, one of it's greebles won't look right or the arms will look too hollow, or the face looks to sleepy. I don't know, it'll be SOMETHING.

You kids today. I've been waiting for these things for, what, 30+ years? Are they perfect? No. Is anything? No.

19. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Responding to the bold part: As it's been pointed out, the main MP line is not going in the same direction as it used to be. If Soundwave were to come out now, he probably wouldn't have the silver paint and finish he does. Even look at all the MP Cassettes and their look and finish. Shockwave is a total example of where the line is headed. I'm happy Tracks and Ironhide have a great paint job on him, but if they weren't real cars, I doubt they'd have it.

If Cliffjumper comes out all of the sudden as a chibified car that might be the end for me. It's not what I want in this line.

20. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Where is there evidence that the real car alt modes are going away from the main line? That seems like over-speculation based on very little to no actual indication of such a change.