The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Bnz Toy

Bnz Toy 3P Combiner

Is there a cycle, or a time frame for how long TT uses a designer? I really haven't kept track of it. I just know that I have abruptly stopped buying TT MPs and started buying more 3P versions of figures around the time there was the last change in designers at TT.

I'm asking because if there is a cycle, I can look forward to the next round of figures from the new designer. I'm not trying to step on anyone's love for their MP figures, just asking to see if I can optimistically look forward to the next TT reveals or keep my expectations at this level. Thanks.

I'm quite happy buying exclusively from the 3P realm, but it's always nice to have the Takara stamp on a figure, and love it through and through.

2. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

I got MP-1, then swore off the MP line until MP-13 and his minions. Then I swore of the line again until MP-29.

Except, I never swore off anything:D . I just buy figures I like and don't buy the ones I don't like.

I like Jazz. I hope someone makes a worthy incarnation of him that I won't have to swear off over.;) 

3. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    So I just seen that someone read tweet from Yuki , that this new Red Alert is the beginning of a new anime accurate line of MP's an that more would be coming . Does this mean we're going to be seeing all new repaints of the current releases ? So much for the " real car series " part of the line...

4. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    Ugh, well count me out, not starting all over again. Well, I day that now but we all know I'm weak!

5. NegatronDave

NegatronDave Well-Known Member

I still get the feeling that this is a reboot in disguise. A soft reboot, version 2.5

6. Prowl 76

Prowl 76 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I'm sticking with my theory that this IS the new MP line and the '+' series is exists only to bring previous MPs up to date with the new aesthetic.

You can colour me pissed if that's the case.

7. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm really hoping you're wrong. I want my MP cars looking as realistic in vehicle mode as possible... Though, to be fair, blue windscreens notwithstanding Ironhide, Ratchet and Tracks still do.

DAMN YOU BLUE WINDSCREENS!

8. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    In which case what's the worst that happens? Wheeljack, Bluestreak, Smokescreen and Bumblebee all get more cartoon accurate repaints, released alongside new releases going forward. I fail to see how that can upset anyone seeing as they're doing exactly that with Diaclone repaints.

9. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    The worst that can happen is that new car bots going forward will have basic cartoon decos like Red Alert+. I don't buy this "doomsday scenario" at the moment personally, considering Tracks, Ratchet, and Ironhide have had realistically painted vehicle modes. I see this plus subline as a way of milking more money out of the cartoon fans, much like the Diaclone repaints were a way of milking money out of another group of fans (myself included).

10. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:

11. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Would that make you toon accurate then ? ( lol )

12. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Exactly. Ppl seem to be forgetting Tracks, Ratchet and Ironhide being licensed and identical to their real life counterpart alt modes but with cartoon aesthetic. They arguably started this trend and not many had issues with them in the looks department, ppl even didn't mind the hip panels of the vans in hand....not that they are cartoon accurate lol.

Tracks even has the cartoon grey that Red Alert is now adopting. Ppl need to relax and stop stressing out over something that was set into motion ages ago.

13. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

14. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Has another TRU Seeker been confirmed, or is this just an assumption based on previous trends?

My theory is that the MP line isn't as vast with endless possibilities as many think...and this is just the next step in milking the line for all they can, while they can.

15. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Was there a single mention of Masterpiece by Hasbro at Botcon?

16. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    What new aesthetic?

Tracks, Road Rage, Ironhide, and Ratchet all have realistic altmode decos (aside from the Corvette's hood flames, of course). The biggest difference for Ironhide/Ratchet in comparison to real world vehicles is lack of mirrors - which I'm glad were left out after seeing what they looked like on a real Vanette.

None of the recent carbots have been painted in the same aesthetic as MP-14+.

Exactly.

Again, this is correct. And as for the blue windscreens, many real-world vehicles have a blue tint on their glass.

I still don't see a huge departure from the aesthetic that was established with MP-10 and MP-12. The real-world vehicles are still designed with accurate detail and color schemes, and the bot modes are still a blend of cartoon, toy, and comic influences.

Yes, Ironhide's legs lack over-detailing - that's a character-specific choice that makes sense for him. There's still extra detail in other areas on that figure, and Ratchet has added details appropriate for his character model references.

Yes, Tracks has more application of vivid color (yellow) in bot mode than previous carbots had - all accurate to his animation model, just like the paint details on Prowl, Streak, and Smokescreen.

Some people are making these things out to be a bigger deal than it really is. With all the added fuss, it's a good thing Ratchet is coming out this month, because someone needs to call the waaaahmbulance. :wink: 

Seriously though, I know we all have our own preferences and expectations. I do understand that recent releases haven't met the expectations of some, and at the same time I feel it's more a case of those people having set their expectations too high. They're now focusing more on the negatives than being able to see the overall consistency that's still present in the line's design.

17. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just this:

18. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

I didn't mind the original colors for Bumblebee...was there ever a confirmation of why it was slightly orange? Is that an official VW color? Anyways, if there is a chance they reissue it with the jetpack and Spike in another yellow shade, I might bite.

19. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    red+ is a exclusive right? or did i miss something. not that i am buying him because i have him.

but if all + versions are exclusive then they would be at a higher price. and harder to get. its still a repaint. updated repaint

20. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

u know the funny thing about the "+"? i think its one of the most divisive things in the line here besides G1 only vs. beast/other.

i hope its just mold milking and not a precursor of things to come. i do agree that the aesthetics of the line have changed over time, but i think thats because of the designer, not some higher up decision being made about the line. it all fits very neatly actually. you can group the two into two aesthetic groups...actually the "new aesthetic" is kinda old as in pm-09 old

group 1
    prime, soundwave/tapes, datsuns, lambos, bumblebee, wheeljack/exhaust

vs.

group 2
    rodimus convoy, tracks, ultra magnus, shockwave, ironhide

not surprisingly this coincides with the two designers if i'm not mistaken.

certain group 1 and group 2 combos kinda play well togethers...others don't. when i put laserwave/shockwave next to soundwave....he just looks wrong. i mean soundwave doens't stray too far from the cartoon model but the two look like they are from different toy lines....and that is a problem for me. if soundwave had some detail removed and his finish were a bit more shiny and cheap and bare looking i could see them in the same line. as is, they are an odd pairing. its frustrating that the design for shockwave is soooooo good but the size, coloring, finish and details are not what i wanted. not all pairings are that bad. tracks and ironhide for instance are very very toon....but their alt modes are pretty accurate and they can sort of blend with other carbots. you can see a difference in aesthetics, but its not in your face obvious...partially because of the paint applications are similar to other cars.

to me this "+" is a nod to the obvious shift of the line's aesthetics and i'd not be surprised if this was kobayashi's take on hasui's design.

that being said...i don't know what to do with my shockwave. he is too good to let go of but he looks bad with the other mp decepticons mostly. i guess he is going on a shelf himself or with some more toony season 3 bots.