The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

In all fairness MP14+ is exclusive and not main, retail Takara release. Primal on the other hand we already KNEW was happening; we've known about him ever since last years Tokyo Toy show where Ironhide was revealed so it's not like Primal being released as we knew he would contradicts Jazz or Hound being next. The only real surprise we got was Delta Magnus albeit TB77 did suggest a lot of people would be disappointed by the next MP and Delta Magnus kind of fits that bill.
    It'll be the second time that Asia copies Botcon

2. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

Well, of the 1984/ 1985 Autobot Car Cast, we're missing
    Minibots
    Cliffjumper
    Brawn
    Gears
    Windcharger
    Huffer

1984 Autobot Cars
    Sunstreaker
    Jazz (if Volkswagen can let Bumblebee be a bug, then Jazz could be a Porshe)
    Trailbreaker
    Hound
    Mirage

Minibots
    Cosmos
    Seaspray
    Powerglide
    Warpath

1985 Autobot Cars
    Hoist
    Grapple
    Skids
    Inferno

Other
    Perceptor (not a car)
    Blaster (not a car)
    Skyfire (come on, Takara could do a better job than Daca)
    Dinobots
    (I know we have Grimlock, but he needs a updated scale to be closer to the newer MP's)
    Grimlock
    Slag
    Sludge
    Snarl
    Swoop

3. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    There is some history from early last year. Essentially all of that has come true except Galvatron so far, and notice the NO to Megatron. We'll see. I do wonder due to how the information appears to have some lost in translation issues (gold Bumblebee, not bronze, red and black, not red and blue, etc) if Galvatron doesn't equal Shockwave. Both are large and purple with cannon modes. It is possible for that information to be misconstrued. Factory sources may or may not be versed in the lore.

4. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I can imagine that someone said something like space gun along the line, which got picked up as being Galvatron, but which actually is Shockwave?

5. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    I think possible developments is the key word here for any speculation.

Takara probably has a vague roadmap of where they want to go with the line, multiple figures in development and a list of repaints. All sorts of reasons could change that at any time. Takara might have been planning Hound for MP28 (or whatever number it was leaked as), and then dropped it for the Ironhide/Rodimus/Shockwave trilogy we just had - maybe Hound had been Hasui's next choice and Kobayashi switched it all round.

If a rumour turns out to not happen, doesn't mean it wasn't correct information at the time.

6. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

No news on MPs from Hasbro sadly.

7. Megatronus27

Megatronus27 Well-Known Member

Im hoping for a US release of Ultra Magnus.

8. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We will probably get the annual seeker mold recolor and MP Bee (which was leaked as a TRU computer listing a while back). The next most likely is Smokescreen to finish off the Datsuns. Based on the comments at the Botcon panel, it appears that licensing has been an issue which is probably why we haven't gotten any of the Lambo bros...

9. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Those are my guesses as well. Did they mention the licensing issues by the way? I was at the panel but I admittedly didn't hear all the Q&As.

10. Megatronscrotch

Megatronscrotch Macro-Con

11. inclementbias

inclementbias Maximal

12. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, it was in the botcon panel Q&A post. Something to the effect that licensing has been difficult.

BTW, anyone hoping for an MP Skids? Given that the 3rd parties have already hit Sunstreaker, Hound, and Mirage, I would like to see how an MP scale Skids would be done. It hits a few check boxes: Real Car Series, a original diaclone vehicle, and repaint potential.

13. NegatronDave

NegatronDave Well-Known Member

It's not as black & white as you are making out.
    Some collectors are unhappy with the figures they really want. Look at the issues that some people are having to deal with after paying a lot of money for Ramjet.
    Others are already willing to sell on Shockwave.
    For them the fear of buying another figure that they really want, only to feel disappointed with it in hand is a reason for wanting to jump ship.

Realistic I don't think anyone would jump ship simply because there are figures in the range that they have no interest in.
    More than likely most of them feel that the figures they really want turn out to be a disappointment in hand, due to bad quality control and/or aesthetic reasons.

14. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    The issue has been painfully obvious since Alternators and MP has made it crystal clear - they don't want to pay the price for premium brands. That's why everything we see is pedestrian with GM's and Ford's and Dodge's and Nissan's galore. Even exotic cars from the movies didn't get made except for one accurate Lockdown (the Deluxe). Everyone thought we couldn't get VW's and Lambo's and Lancia's etc because of this and obviously that was never true. Knowing Hasbro, I always suspected cost was at play considering the excuses we heard were often illogial at best and Hasbro is a penny pincher extreme.

"Difficult" is just their usual corporate BS speak. You can't say anything negative about yourself, so you put it on everyone else.

At this point it is safe to say Hasbro will never lead on the MP line, and they might not even follow for much longer. Support TakaraTomy and stop waiting for Hasbro to do anything. The costs have become essentially the same anyway.

15. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Poor Beachcomber.

16. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    That's funny, considering that the cost will be passed to the consumer most of the time.

Hasbro's selling point with Alternators was that they were more or less half the price of Binaltechs. Furthermore, they fit in a convenient price class.

Getting other companies and signing off on their licenses would have undoubtedly passed down to the consumer.

Same thing is probably happening with the MP figures, and don't forget that Japan's exchange rate nowadays is very low, which brings up figures to an almost equal price.

I didn't see people having any issue waiting for Hasbro's MP10 when it cost 100 USD and Takara's was 250 due to the exchange rate back then.

This is one of the reasons they've shot themselves in the leg with MP Prowl and Streak; who will wait for a figure that's effectively the same, gets released a year+ later, and costs the same or more than if you import it?

Give it some time and Hasbro might be back in the game with MP releases, but you are right in that it won't happen for a long time.

Don't forget that the general fandom attitude has greatly changed to--years ago people wanted to get to walmart/wherever and physically buy the figure, and shunned buying from Japan/importing.

With the exchange rate and price reductions a lot more people are willing to import online and avoid the "buy locally" experience.

17. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

How did Hasbro's MP Sideswipe work out??

Sorry, just disappointed that a TRU computer listing for him was shown prior to Prowl's release and we STILL haven't seen him. I work @ a TRU and don't trust any listings until they show up either in-store or on the website. I believe someone at the corporate level may place listings into the system, as place holders, before they finalize any agreements with Hasbro. Now, whether or not they actually get released... That's a completely different story.

18. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

I'm not sure that's entirely true or possible.

The way I understand it the big stores (walmart, TRU) can determine prices to Hasbro. Thus Hasbro needs to make the figure a certain size/part count to fit that price.

If you add the cost of licensing then the figures would either become too expensive (and the big stores won't carry them for that price), or Hasbro has to take a cut in their profit. But they can't, the way I understand it, pay whatever they want for licensing and pass the costs to the customer. Simply because the stores won't accept it fearing that a small figure with a high price won't sell.

19. kurdt_the_goat

kurdt_the_goat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember "Roadbots" from years ago had a licensed Lamborghini. Those things were cheap so it couldnt have cost them that much to get it either.

20. Megatronscrotch

Megatronscrotch Macro-Con

Just a heads up that I didn't post that....that was inclementbias's response to my post.... He was responding to a post I made about how some ppl had stated that they didn't like the direction the line is going and that they were considering 3rd party sources to get the characters they want. It's been mentioned here and there...which is what I meant in my earlier post about "jumping ship" and then I stated that I'm here to stay...and yup ur right I'm still waiting on my Ramjet from bbts and nervousness about all the QC issues I've heard about...if it does happen its still not enough to make me look elsewhere....."yet"