The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Megatronscrotch

Megatronscrotch Macro-Con

2. inclementbias

inclementbias Maximal

3. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, it was in the botcon panel Q&A post. Something to the effect that licensing has been difficult.

BTW, anyone hoping for an MP Skids? Given that the 3rd parties have already hit Sunstreaker, Hound, and Mirage, I would like to see how an MP scale Skids would be done. It hits a few check boxes: Real Car Series, a original diaclone vehicle, and repaint potential.

4. NegatronDave

NegatronDave Well-Known Member

It's not as black & white as you are making out.
    Some collectors are unhappy with the figures they really want. Look at the issues that some people are having to deal with after paying a lot of money for Ramjet.
    Others are already willing to sell on Shockwave.
    For them the fear of buying another figure that they really want, only to feel disappointed with it in hand is a reason for wanting to jump ship.

Realistic I don't think anyone would jump ship simply because there are figures in the range that they have no interest in.
    More than likely most of them feel that the figures they really want turn out to be a disappointment in hand, due to bad quality control and/or aesthetic reasons.

5. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    The issue has been painfully obvious since Alternators and MP has made it crystal clear - they don't want to pay the price for premium brands. That's why everything we see is pedestrian with GM's and Ford's and Dodge's and Nissan's galore. Even exotic cars from the movies didn't get made except for one accurate Lockdown (the Deluxe). Everyone thought we couldn't get VW's and Lambo's and Lancia's etc because of this and obviously that was never true. Knowing Hasbro, I always suspected cost was at play considering the excuses we heard were often illogial at best and Hasbro is a penny pincher extreme.

"Difficult" is just their usual corporate BS speak. You can't say anything negative about yourself, so you put it on everyone else.

At this point it is safe to say Hasbro will never lead on the MP line, and they might not even follow for much longer. Support TakaraTomy and stop waiting for Hasbro to do anything. The costs have become essentially the same anyway.

6. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Poor Beachcomber.

7. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    That's funny, considering that the cost will be passed to the consumer most of the time.

Hasbro's selling point with Alternators was that they were more or less half the price of Binaltechs. Furthermore, they fit in a convenient price class.

Getting other companies and signing off on their licenses would have undoubtedly passed down to the consumer.

Same thing is probably happening with the MP figures, and don't forget that Japan's exchange rate nowadays is very low, which brings up figures to an almost equal price.

I didn't see people having any issue waiting for Hasbro's MP10 when it cost 100 USD and Takara's was 250 due to the exchange rate back then.

This is one of the reasons they've shot themselves in the leg with MP Prowl and Streak; who will wait for a figure that's effectively the same, gets released a year+ later, and costs the same or more than if you import it?

Give it some time and Hasbro might be back in the game with MP releases, but you are right in that it won't happen for a long time.

Don't forget that the general fandom attitude has greatly changed to--years ago people wanted to get to walmart/wherever and physically buy the figure, and shunned buying from Japan/importing.

With the exchange rate and price reductions a lot more people are willing to import online and avoid the "buy locally" experience.

8. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

How did Hasbro's MP Sideswipe work out??

Sorry, just disappointed that a TRU computer listing for him was shown prior to Prowl's release and we STILL haven't seen him. I work @ a TRU and don't trust any listings until they show up either in-store or on the website. I believe someone at the corporate level may place listings into the system, as place holders, before they finalize any agreements with Hasbro. Now, whether or not they actually get released... That's a completely different story.

9. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

I'm not sure that's entirely true or possible.

The way I understand it the big stores (walmart, TRU) can determine prices to Hasbro. Thus Hasbro needs to make the figure a certain size/part count to fit that price.

If you add the cost of licensing then the figures would either become too expensive (and the big stores won't carry them for that price), or Hasbro has to take a cut in their profit. But they can't, the way I understand it, pay whatever they want for licensing and pass the costs to the customer. Simply because the stores won't accept it fearing that a small figure with a high price won't sell.

10. kurdt_the_goat

kurdt_the_goat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember "Roadbots" from years ago had a licensed Lamborghini. Those things were cheap so it couldnt have cost them that much to get it either.

11. Megatronscrotch

Megatronscrotch Macro-Con

Just a heads up that I didn't post that....that was inclementbias's response to my post.... He was responding to a post I made about how some ppl had stated that they didn't like the direction the line is going and that they were considering 3rd party sources to get the characters they want. It's been mentioned here and there...which is what I meant in my earlier post about "jumping ship" and then I stated that I'm here to stay...and yup ur right I'm still waiting on my Ramjet from bbts and nervousness about all the QC issues I've heard about...if it does happen its still not enough to make me look elsewhere....."yet"

12. Havok1891

Havok1891 Well-Known Member

So if Hasbro has another Sekker repaint for TRU this year, who is it likely to be?

Is Skywarp an unrealistic hope? Or could it be one of the lesser known ones? Which if one?

Thundercracker was my first MP back when he was in TRU. Then I lucked out last year and found Starscream. Maybe I'm being greedy, but would love to get a chance at TRU priced Skywarp!

13. Enterlaw

Enterlaw Well-Known Member

14. Havok1891

So does anyone have an educated or flat out guess on the next MP seeker for TRU?

15. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Redwing.

I'm guessing that on the basis of actually nothing.

16. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    Can they just announce MP Jazz and at least make him as good as tracks.

17. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    It'll be another obscure one like Hotlink or Bitstream I reckon. They don't know their arses from their elbows so don't expect Skywarp.

18. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    It'll be little known Dysentery-Maker Shitwing then?

19. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No not really. As Tigerblade mentioned, it could really be anything.

20. Havok1891

I'd take just about anything. I'm only hoping for Skywarp due to Starscream coming out last year and there is talk about Bumbelbee . . . so I am now hoping that's true and that maybe Skywarp is fast tracked as well.