The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

I do agree that Hasui seems to incorporate more G1 toy references while Kobayashi seems to be more worried about cartoon accuracy. I'd bet that it was Hasui's idea to make sure the MP cassettes were the size of the G1 cassette toys so that MP Soundwave could house those as well. No surprise. He's talked about his love of the G1 toys and how he was originally a big fan of Diaclone. Wouldn't be surprised if it was his idea to make MP Diaclone repaints. Might've been part of his pitch when trying to sell TT on Sideswipe.

2. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I agree. The colours is an interesting point especially. Magnus is a good example, as of course he went through some colour changes during production. I doubt that one person (let's say Kobayashi) chose his entire colour scheme and then went back later and thought he could improve upon his own work. It strikes me that decisions were made, and then others chipped in and a final scheme was put together.

BY comparison, there are occasionally some rather odd or unusual colour choices made, but these are, to my immediate recollection, rarely on the main line figures. The most obvious example I can think of is MP-11SW, which although I personally love the deco', features a few choices that make it less cartoon accurate. However, the fact that this is so different to what we normally get makes me think that it was presumably not done by a main line designer - in my mind this lends more credence to thinking that there's usually more focus and discussion before these decisions are made, and that the less 'unusual' choices are likely brought in line.

Interesting notion, and I agree it's likely. I highly doubt each designer works in isolation without input from others. Even simply asking each other how best to tackle certain problems would be expected.

3. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Guys, just thought I would bring something to the discussion which might be relevant. I happened to be re-reading a recent interview with Yuki (which I'm sure most of you have read before as well), but I was struck by this quote:

"Q. It has been a long time since you went through such hardship, and now you are back to the MP series to work on the 30th anniversary project, Star Saber.
    Y: That is correct. While I participated in brainstorming sessions to discuss the lineup and such, I did not contribute to any actual item developments as I was not a main MP designer.
    "

Note that he mentions brainstorming sessions - yes, to discuss the line-up, but presumably these also happen for other aspects as well, probably including design & colour choices. He also mentions not being a main MP designer. Not even the main designer. The fact that there might be more than one main designer is intriguing enough, although clearly there are multiple designers, whichever way you interpret that. He later also describes Hasui as the 'main series designer', so clearly there're a bunch of people working on the line, as most of us have thought. Notice that Yuki participated in the line and had input even outside of MP-5 & Star Saber.

Interesting to re-read these interviews sometimes, especially with added context.

4. chucksbikeorama

chucksbikeorama Decepticreep

Holy cow guys!

There's been some next level shiz the past day or so - getting a bit heated here and there if I may so - but still very much appreciating the microscopic focus many are bringing to bear on this here board :) 

5. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Interesting points gentlemen. Its great to see we can dissect these conversations without insulting eachother.

I think these conversations make this thread so much more enriching whilst we await new MP news.

If we find out Hasui indeed did design Ironhide & Tracks I will eat all of my words with pleasure. I am never afraid to admit I'm wrong.

If the next decepticon is shockwave it corroborates with that rumor about a MP that is big and purple coming :) 

6. Enterlaw

Enterlaw Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me which designer is more likely to give Jazz door wings?

7. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I don't get all the designer hate... overall, all of them are true to G1 source material... I think that is their biggest achievement.

As we have seen from 3rd parties... whether they intend to or not, sometimes the designers personal style, or some other influence, creeps in.

8. Dean ML

Well, if he gets whichever option you don't want, it's sure to be that hack Kobayashi ;) 

9. Dean ML

Outstanding, Sixo! I mentioned it earlier, but I've read from designer interviews that TT has a relatively small bunch of TF designers, maybe less than a dozen iirc. I'm sure many of them are pretty close and tight knit and it's common practice to give input on each other's projects. From what little I understand of Japanese culture, a lot of value is placed on teamwork.

I'd be just about equally thrilled with Megatron, Shockwave, and Galvatron and they've all been rumored from posters with "inside" info this past year. I'm thinking the next two years will be pretty interesting and pretty damn satisfying for most of us. And whoever's revealed and however he looks in promo shots, the pattern of reactions from fans will surely be the same every time :) 

Btw, Bruticus, do you have MP-09? Thought you might appreciate the work that went into that figure. Qc issues aside, he's quite a feat (had my v1 for two years with no breakages - just floppy in the chest and backpack).

10. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's good we can be polite. Seems difficult for some on the Internet for some reason!

Oh yeah I forgot about that big purple deception rumour. I can't remember which he tell me that was... one of the ones that's recently been proven reliable?

Well if we've established above that just maybe Kobayashi is slightly more a slave to the toon than Hasui, then Hasui's your answer. But I'm sure Hasui would also make Jazz toon accurate in that regard. I'd be highly surprised if an MP Jazz doesn't have both options for the doors - should be simple enough to engineer door wings that can fold away if desired.

11. Dean ML

My source tells me that Jazz's doors are adjustable - you can put them either on his hips or his butt. HE TELL MEEE!!!

12. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That's how we roll. :D 

I actually think both this and the MP appreciation thread are, generally speaking, two of the more civil ongoing threads you'll find on the board. There are obviously lots of others, but some of the threads are just out and out arguing, which is a shame. I like that we can have a reasoned discussion in here. :) 

That guy... ;) 

Well I know one source was TCracker, but I think it's now been reported by multiple sources as being a possibility. Not to mention that the reissue Quakewave rumour is gaining new legs. Interesting times!

13. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    OOh, will they be G1 accurate curved legs this time? :lol 

14. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    :lol 

Walked right into that one, didn't I? ;) 

15. OptimusTimelord

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Ha ha, you set it up for me though, right? Perfect team :D  Ladies & gentlemen we're available for weddings and bar mitzvahs :lol 

Ahem. So anyway, this Shockwave rumour... Gotta admit I'll be a bit surprised to see him come before Galvatron or Megatron in the MP line, he just doesn't seem like that big a character in comparison. Of the three, Galvatron is the one I want the most now (with Apollyon and Quakey occupying the other spots quite nicely). I hope next year will be Galvatron's year (even though they didn't get the movie the same time as us, I believe Japan still acknowledges the US dates of anniversaries and such, and 30 years since the movie is as good a time as any!).

16. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yep, obviously that's what I meant to do. :D 

Like you, I'm hopeful for Galvatron, and I agree about wanting to see him happen more than the other two. Of the three, I'd like to see Megatron happen the least now. If they were to announce an MP Megs v2, I'd personally be a little bit bored by that... just me, though.

17. OptimusTimelord

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Not saying I'd not be wowed by a TT Megs or Shocky, I bet I would (and I'd certainly get both). I just feel Shockwave doesn't fit the MP MO somehow. Y'know; leaders, major franchise characters, sexy cool altmode guys, playability/compatibility etc. He's none of those things (although technically I guess he was a leader in the G1 comic).

We'll see I guess.

18. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    However Shockwave seems to be quite popular, at least with Hasbro and TT, as he gets toys quite often.

19. Goldimus Prime

Goldimus Prime Veteran

If TT do release a Shockwave MP then they'll have released Megatron's three 'main generals' of G1, as they've often been portrayed in subsequent media, perfectly loading up the bases for a Megatron sized grand slam.

20. chucksbikeorama

chucksbikeorama Decepticreep