The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Looks like a character not to be taken seriously, but I don’t really know anything about other than his name being Gung-Ho.

2. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Dont forget, we dont know the material and how that tight vest will work with BF joints.

3. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Sometimes things come together, sometimes they don’t. The fact that the costume update is a whole separate release and BBTS exclusive, front-paged, speaks volumes.

Even if I cannot get it on the figure at all it will be an improvement over whateverthefuck the silver disco-frisbee shoulder-pad vest is.

• Like Like x 2
  4. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Maglite

Maglite Porkchop sandwiches!

That Gung Ho add on looks pretty good! Vest looks a bit long (would prefer if the bottom stopped above the belt-line), but I wouldn't say no if it was released as is. They'll make welcome additions!

6. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

I’m glad you made this. I’ve been tempted to do the Fridge as well.

7. Bryan Thornton

Bryan Thornton Well-Known Member

If I had it to do over again I probably would use the ci roadblock and paint the shirt onto the torso like that figure is. As it is the shirt is the wave 1 roadblock vest that I dremeled all the detail flat and had to fill the knife holster area behind it with a bit of milliput. Also the knee pad isn't on ci roadblick but since it is on wave 1 I had to make a kneepad for the opposite knee to even it out. I am so pissed I messed the paint up putting him together to soon, but hopefully it is an easy fix of touch-up and another clear coat.

8. backhawkdown

Yes, patience is key. I’ve only recently taught myself patience when customizing.

I think you made the right call using the vest for that jersey; the Fridge just wasn’t ripped like the Roadblock body. Ever.

9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I really wish I had the same types of backgrounds Hasbro uses in their shots. Those are awesome, but alas, I can not, so these will have to do:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 17
  10. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

I haven't checked the thread for a few weeks. Have things gotten any better with the Target exclusives?

11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    No

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wheeljoker

Wheeljoker Well-Known Member

Apparently Cobra Island Roadblock is getting easier to find..at least in my area.
    Unfortunately a lot of people are beginning to think distribution may be winding down. Popfindr has been showing no new product in a lot of locations recently but people are still reporting finding random Baroness sets popping up despite being shown as not in stock. Trooper and Beachhead appear to still be elusive figures to locate.

13. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

Welp. That sucks.

Guess the scalpers are cashing in, cause it'll only be worse later if I wait.

Edit: Just pulled the trigger on a couple from eBay(one for me, one for my bro). I was "lucky" that I found a seller who was only asking double retail instead of 4x like most sellers.
    I kind of hate myself right now for bending the knee to this B.S.
    This is Strike One for me on this line, maybe Strike Two as well. I'd rather bail out and just have a handful of cool figures than try and keep up with it but have to put up with circumstances that border on abusive.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Bryan Thornton

Bryan Thornton Well-Known Member

Rumor is the cobra island wave is no longer gonna be distributed, however I am not sure that is true. I just watched the latest toy news international video last night and JayC said that the cobra island figures are now popping up at toys r us in Canada. So maybe it is possible the target exclusivity of them is what is canceled instead of the wave? I guess only time will tell but apparently if your in Canada you can find them at reatil now. He gave a number for toys r us to look them up in inventory but I dont recall what it was.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Does TRU CA ship to the US?

Anyway, I never saw Beachhead period. As far as I'm concerned, he's a myth. :lol 

16. nilcam

nilcam Well-Known Member

I don't go all-in on anything I collect. I get characters and figures that I like but I'll never go completionist. For GI Joe, I see myself ending up with 10 figures it so. I want a Baroness and whether it's a single pack of the new design or the classic with the bike doesn't matter to me.

I would love a Cobra Trooper without the armor at a lower price like the AIM soldiers pulse sells. I love their classic look.

17. backhawkdown

There is a third option — don’t bail on the line and don’t be compulsive about having to have them all to the point that your inability to obtain them at your preferred price point or method makes you think you are being abused (though I’m curious who you think is abusive in this situation? The retailer? Hasbro? Your employer? Your spouse? The Toy Gods?). Just be casual about it; if you secure preorders when they go live, great. If you find them in store, great. If you don’t, no big deal. If you only find some, no problem, you add those to your collection but you don’t concern yourself with the figures you don’t have.

Toy collecting as an all or nothing endeavor is a personal choice, not a requirement.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    What's the point of a CT without the armror though? That's like sending a soldier into battle naked.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'm going to go for every figure in this line, but the characters I will definitely buy if released are:

Hawk
    Covergirl
    Lady Jaye
    Flint
    Stalker
    Spirit
    Wild Bill
    Shipwreck

Zartan
    Bludd
    Billy
    Storm Shadow (Cobra style)
    Firefly
    Mindbender
    Tomax and Xomat
    Crimson Guards x3-5
    Alley Vipers x3-5

And maybe a Fred VII Cobra Commander.

If they decide to do Zartan's gang with their motorcycles, I might bite.

So my initial impressions of my trio from yesterday:

Duke - Except for the neon orange watch, he's exemplary. They really knocked him out of the ball pack immediately. He's an update to his original look while looking new and fresh. The face sculpt is simply fantastic, though I wonder why they put his scar above his eye brow and not on his cheek like he has had in the past. I'm not a big fan of Duke, but this dude seems to look good in any pose I put him in. Oh, and his backpack stays attached in the hole, YAY!!

Roadblock - I was originally hesistant on getting him, but I'm glad I did. I love the tattoo he's got on his arm and he's towering. I still could do without the beard though as a simple mustache would have sufficed. Nevertheless, he's really nice and big. The gun is awful though. I have no idea who thought giving him some sort of futuristic rail gun was a good idea. Another thing I like about him is how his vest is actually a removable piece rather than sculpted on to the body. I know it allows Hasbro to reuse that body, however, I think it adds an extra element to Roadblock. It's just a shame you would have to destroy it to remove it.

Destro - He and Cobra Commander are the two figures I have decided will make or break the line for me and this dude is just perfection. He's an update to the original design and does it with vast precision. The sculpt is just absolutely magnificent, making him one of the best figures of the year. I don't even need CC now to tell me I am in for this line as he alone as done it. Just like with Duke, he looks incredible in any pose. The paint job they did for the head is outstanding (though, I can see them repainting him down the line with a chrome casted head). I adore the briefcase, though the money in it seems quite light. :D 

I hate to say this, but out of the six Joes I have gotten so far, Snake-Eyes is my least favorite of them. His joints are a lot looser compared to everyone else, the weapons blend in too much with his outfit, and overall, he just seems to be lacking compared to everyone else and I'm not sure why.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MachoGrande

MachoGrande Well-Known Member

I thought I wanted a blacked-out Snake Eyes. When I got him I was kinda disappointed in how all that detail gets lost. I ended up trading a couple Troopers for a second Pulse SE. Turns out, you pair Retail SE with Pulse SE's gray web gear and head, he's much more reminiscent of '85 v2 Snake Eyes. Shot up my list after the part swap.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, I want the Snake-Eyes that came with all of the accessories, but I have no idea where to buy him from.