The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I haven't had anything on Switch that i've missed out on, but i have a ps4 as well (i got an xbox as well but once i stopped playing KI it became a paperweight lol)

what if it's not game inspired figures but instead the game is inspired by the current figures? ultimately time will tell, is cobra island an extra stage in the game or something separate all together? how many skins does each character have? there are a lot of unanswered questions at this stage.

2. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Game Mill Entertainment.... Do a quick google search.... or maybe don’t.

...I have to disagree. Those characters are way too spot on. Look at Cobra Commander, look at RB’s gun. Look at the still of Duke’s gun. These are video game designed characters.

3. Fc203

Fc203 Hasbro shill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Dukes rifle looks like the X-Eon from cod infinite warfare
    10213523-Xeon.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

Will this be available on switch? I am not a gamer but I wouldn't mind playing this with my 11 year old son.

^Lucky!

I caved and bought one on ebay for 65$ shipped. I want to try and round up another 4-6 more of these for sure, just not at that price.

This blaster trooper looks so good it could pass as a hot toys or sideshow 6th scale figure.

^Glad it worked out for you, I was getting anxious too. I cancelled my preorder with dorkside and went with Chosen Prime because they had them in stock. I placed the order end of last week and they are being delivered today, that's a pretty fast turn around time.

5. redrum2581

Ebay:
    i'll wait til we have more information altogether before deciding, i've seen games that were spot on to shows, toys and the like, as well as vice versa

6. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

This is a pretty nice figure. I like Duke the most, but the Cobra Trooper is right behind him. I have no real complaints. The long rifle is a little bit tough to get in the hand. Everything else is good to go. If you can get him at retail price, troop building is a must.

7. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Ill reiterate. I bet that it is a clone of the video game Fortnite.

8. Tahukanuva

Tahukanuva Human After All

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the game is a Classified tie-in rather than vice-versa. There’re no callouts for the video game anywhere on the toy packages, and also releasing a mass retail collectors’ toyline based on a cheap game from a no-name studio would be Pretty Crazy, from a business standpoint.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Professional Lawn Mower

News Credits:
    That is the same boat I'm in. If this was a tie in line, it would say so on the box. Also, see the VERY ARAH accurate Cobra Island wave. I think these are the equivalent of game figures just not the point of the line.

10. redrum2581

Ebay:
    isn't Fortnite a FPS though? idk i never played but i thought in the videos i've seen it was

11. Fc203

Fc203 Hasbro shill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    No its 3rd person

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Did you Google Game Mill Entertainment? They’re a fucking joke. If this is a Fortnite clone it would a massive success. At least Hasbro put halfway decent companies on Transformers. This game is going suck.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Fartnite is a success because, its core gameplay is free and eight year olds make up a majority of it's audience.

My son plays it. I think its awful. He wasted $3 on a DANCE. A fucking dance.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Tahukanuva

Tahukanuva Human After All

85E65466-7D70-4941-99C6-131D567BBF4B.jpeg

They haven’t posted any further details yet, but this is promising. Also, Hasbro constantly being pleasantly surprised by the demand for this line bodes well for it.

• Like Like x 14
  15. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Yeah I know nothing of Fortnite. I do know this isn’t free and it’s from a bargain basement company without a success to their name. Too bad.

16. Maximus Danz

News Credits:
    I agree on Hasbro. I genuinely think they had been caught with there pants down on how demanded this line is. I'll be checking my Target again on the 29th. I went today and found a sticker sheet with all the DCPI for Cobra Island. I cant wait for Beach Head!!!

17. Pharoid

News Credits:
    It’s kind of funny cause GI Joe is their brand. How the fuck do you not know the demand for your own product? I mean seriously think about this for a minute. They’ve had this brand for 30 years. How can you claim “ya didn’t know.” This company has to be run by MBAs from bad schools and at the same time stripped any bit of institutional knowledge from the company. It’s sad.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Maximus Danz

News Credits:
    I dunno, maybe they weren't expecting the G.I. Joe relaunch to be this big (selling out everywhere) and thought stylized but somewhat faithful 6inch joes would be a niche. Not an excuse, just rationalizing.

19. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Epic did Gears of War before. There is precidence.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    I've met plenty of MBAs from good schools who were idiots so the school really has no baring on that. What I see is that the company has shifted focuses, corporate executives, product designers, and marketers so much that they don't have any previous knowledge with any brand under the Hasbro umbrella. When the previous people either leave or are pushed out, usually their knowledge on what made a brand work and what didn't leaves with them. Hasbro isn't a great company when it comes to lessons learned, but you got to admit, sometimes they get something done very very right.

My guess is that they were being cautious because of how many people claimed that they hated the new designs for the Joes and they were ready to write the series off should it come to it (and I doubt Goldner had faith in it to begin with). This is made worse as when the Joes were shown off, chances are the exclusivity deals with Target and Walmart (and whoever else we don't know about yet) were most likely already in place. However, every person who either wasn't a fan of the new designs or outright hated them when they were first announced, has at least one figure on order or in hand (Destro's reveal was when the consensus about the line was more positive). In addition, there are people like me who couldn't find an entry point into GI Joe without instantly being overwhelmed, and there are those who didn't know they wanted something until it existed (or in other words, the standard consumer). Two new groups they may not have accounted for. My guess is that they underestimated the want because of what was perceived as dwindling interest in GI Joes (sales and interest don't always correlate, so sales is used as the primary metric). But I could be way off base here too. As long as GI Joe is doing well, I'm stoked for what we'll be getting next.

Side note, I wonder what the Cobra Trooper looks like without the vest he's got. And how many should I get if we anticipate that more Troopers will be released in the coming years?

• Like Like x 1