The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Damn, I didn’t pay close attention before but something did buy me about Cobra Commander and it just got worse looking at this pic. Storm Shadow looks like it could be a complete lost cause if it ends up looking as bad as that face in the picture is hinting at. Two of my most wanted characters. Oh well, will wait and see. I’d like to save money and pass on them but they might still force my hand. Baroness looks good though.

2. DestinedAnarky

DestinedAnarky I want more cosmic MCU

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I actually dig the Cobra Commander look. Sort of regal military is how I see it. His self-importance is shown in the way he dresses. Baroness looks good, still has the gold pauldrons which will upset half the fandom. Storm Shadow is going to be very hit or miss. I like the updated mask, kind of Mortal Kombatish. I don't care so much for the tattoo on the arm though.

3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Cobra Commander looks great. I feel like the regalness of the design fits with how arrogant and self-aggrandizing he is. I still like the look of Baroness. Storm Shadow is probably going to piss some people off with that mask. I personally like it but I can already see some of the fandom being pissed at the MKish design... the only thing I'm not sure I like is the arm sleeve tate, but I think those are ridiculous looking on most people in real life so, yeah.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DestinedAnarky

DestinedAnarky I want more cosmic MCU

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    We had nearly the same thoughts in slightly different words. Great minds, right?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Indeed. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    The artwork makes him look like he's stabbing Duke in the leg, glad to see his timeless personality is intact.

Itching to see the actual figures, Red Ninja looks cool but wondering how affected range of motion might be. I want to see more of Storm Shadow too, hard to see all the details, looks like he's got a collar but it's obscuring the mask detail so it's hard to figure out what's what. Noticed he's got some kind of tunic skirt, that plus the collar reminds me of the live action movies. Unless the collar is actually just a hood pulled back.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for posting!
    Hmm :/ I think I’d come round to most of the storm shadow elements, but that tat...
    Can’t say that cc look particularly does it for me, though seems in line with previous looks/his character. I’m not that fussed about him in general tbh, but would prefer a more ‘operational/in action’ look as opposed to ‘dress’.
    I wonder what joes might be on the other part of the artwork?

8. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  9. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Man not liking that Storm Shadow look either, looks way too Mortal Kombat-ish (and geez now that I think about it, could that be why he's coined Scorpion in Hasbro's order names?). CC and the Baroness look good for me though!

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  10. Slender102

Slender102 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hopefully the Red Ninja isn’t that affected, he’s pretty much the Snake Eyes body with a new head and vest. This art makes it look like just a painted surface with just different strap and belt. Based on this I like the look of Stormie’s costume but not too crazy about the sleeve. Arashikage went full Yakuza in this timeline.

11. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

It's the hasbro way, churn out the ugly version and then "improve" it to what it should have been in the first place to make everyone double-dip. If it weren't Storm Shadow, and say some rando-Joe that would never get remade, I might just hold my nose and buy it, but SS? He's going to get reissued forty ways from sunday. MK masks and sleeve tats are a hard pass unless I find one for cheap that I can customize to a more classic look.

If that's really the SS and Red Ninjas we're getting, I'll just stick with my Articulated Icons. I'm not spending $20 a pop on terrible SS-n-pals figures when I know they will be reissued down the line in a preferable deco.

13. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

Not feeling that SS mask but whatever, they can always make a classic version later.

I can't wait for wave 1 to hit, I have not felt toy anticipation like this in quite some time. The feeling brings me back the the JoeCon and FSS reveal days.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Johnny1378

Johnny1378 Well-Known Member

I think it’s Storm Shadow’s mask that I have the biggest issue with. The tattoo looks fine, IMO. I’ll reserve judgment until I see it in hand before I decide whether or not it’s a deal breaker. It may look fine on the actual figure. Cobra Commander, Baroness, and Red Ninja all look good to me. Overall, I think there have been more hits than misses.

• Like Like x 2
  15. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

I’ll likely regret passing on Red Ninja but I’m going to try and exert some discipline and only stick to the characters that I have nostalgia for.

16. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

I'm not onboard with the potential Storm Shadow design, specifically the mask and yakuza tattoo.

The mask is a matter of my aesthetic sensibility not liking it. A Renegades or Resolute direction for the mask is what I prefer. Not slavish to v1 but still recognizable as Storm Shadow rather than a white colored Mortal Kombat ninja.

Regarding the yakuza tattoo, it seems too in your face to me. Like he wants people to not be ignorant of the affiliation. It comes off as too try hard to me, especially combined with the mask design.

This is just a gut reaction to something that isn't confirmed and shown in toy form. Maybe the fully realized toy will come off better to my eyes.

17. Sup3hobo

Sup3hobo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely digging CC and Baroness slick updates on the old designs. Storm shadow, on the other hand, I'm quite disappointed with the design and it's mostly those tats that ruin it for me.

18. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    So, my Snake-Eyes and Scarlett finally showed up from Megalopolis yesterday (dear god it took them forever to ship it seems) and I really like both of them overall. Only issues I have are that Scarlett's shoulder pauldron (which I don't mind from an aesthetic point of view) kind of hampers some of her articulation on that shoulder and for some reason Snake-Eyes knife doesn't fit in his sheath... but one of Scarlett's did so I just had them swap knives. Frankly, I found it funny that one of Scarlett's knives fit in SE's sheath just fine considering they looked almost exactly alike ...though one might have been longer I suppose... but that knife from SE fit right in her chest sheath from where the knife I gave SE originally was. So I'm not sure what's up with that. But overall these are really great figures and some pretty cool modern takes on these two. Also, the new articulation just shows the advancements that Hasbro keeps making in the 6" scale department, and frankly, they seem to have really cornered that market here in the states.

• Like Like x 5
  19. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    *looks at artwork reveal for possible Classified Cobra Commander, Baroness, Storm Shadow, and Red Ninjas*

Cobra Commander looks alright. Kinda similar to his G.I.Joe Resolute look....which is kinda what I want from Classified. Updates, but still recognizable.

Baroness looks pretty much like she should. No problems there.

Now Storm Shadow...the Bane-like face mask/Mortal Kombat mask thing...I don't really like it. It looks weird to me. And the tattoos are a bit distracting against the classic all-white costume. If the toy has all that tattooing on it, I'll probably try and remove it all. Otherwise, it's close to being a perfect Storm Shadow.

And lastly Red Ninjas...not really a huge fan of the ninja stuff outside of the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow/Jinx stuff. But I could see this as a good troop builder. Provided they maybe include some different heads and a lot of weapons. Still would like to see Cobra Troopers or Vipers first, but whatcha gonna do?

20. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Those Cobra Ninjas could work outside G.I. Joe. Like, maybe someone like Hydra hiring some ninjas?

• Like Like x 1