The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    To this day, I wonder why they went with the Cobra-Lalalala.. battle cry - that thing was hilarious.

I'm also fond of the sci-fi/adventure feel of the ARAH cartoons, and I hope that we'll get some representation of that down the line.

i can't speak for the Pretenders since I didn't have any, but c'mon Micromasters were awesome! I think the greatest appeal about them for me was that the small toys reflected similar transformations with larger counterparts in G1, plus you could match them up with playsets and bigger robots. One of the lines I wish they still continued was the old Takara WST line. That would have matched up great with the new Titans.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Johnny1378

Johnny1378 Well-Known Member

That’s cool. There’s certainly nothing wrong with liking them and I still think the character designs are pretty cool.

The scene where Pythona infiltrates the Terrordrome is still pretty neat.

As a kid, I always felt they short changed the Golobulus figure by not giving him the floating blob thingy. Plus it drove me crazy that I couldn’t figure out a way to get the figure to stand up on a shelf next to my other Joes.

I also felt like Hasbro missed the mark by not releasing figures of Pythona and Big Lob, back in ‘87. I was glad to see that they at got released years later in the series of Fan Club figures.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Raiju

Raiju Stormborn Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agreed. And nowadays we have the opposite problem where we have modern figure representations of Law and Order, Sgt Slaughter, Falcon, Tunnel Rat, Chuckles, Jinx, Big Lob, Nemesis Enforcer and Pythona but we don't have a Golobulus or Cobra-La troops outside of perhaps third party kickstarters.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DutyBeforeAll

DutyBeforeAll Well-Known Member

It was supposed to Be Cobra! Followed by a ululating war cry, the Dude that did the voice for Serpentor couldn’t do it, so they changed it to Cobra-lalalala.

listen to the Cobra-La Warriors at the start of the clip.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Okay so here’s my issue with Cobra-La, it’s extensive. I do think think the designs for the villains are cool but they literally make no sense within the franchise. If you grew up with the cartoon and Hama’s comic characters you were living in a weird world were the comic was Vietnam vets and ninjas and the Sunbow cartoon seemed like a kid’s version of the comic. (To a kid’s mind, mind you)

Along comes the GI Joe movie and completely undercuts the established villains and all of a sudden the cool villains (Destro) and “fight” you understood was irrelevant to this secret bug army trying to takeover the world. That was never what the characters were about, that was never the fight it was a dramatic shift in the goalposts. GI Joe was about their personal relationships with each other on both sides of the war. Which was now traded for this incomprehensible bug-fight devoid of any personal connections, and certainly any connection to what came before.

But the problem is even bigger than that. As a toyline it makes little to no sense. GI Joe doesn’t visually look like something that’s fighting Cobra-La. And the toy designers sure as fuck didn’t think it through. Any kid growing up in the 80’s was steeped in “war culture”. You were accustomed to the US vs. Nazis, Russia the Vietcong. You knew what the opposing sides looked like and, many of us, knew some of the hardware. This was 1000% reflected in the GI Joe toyline. You had ‘Joe vehicles and Cobra vehicles. The hardware made contextual sense and was an analog for things you knew. Enter Cobra-La... where are the vehicles? Were is the war? How does this war work? Does Nemesis Enforcer look like something that fights Flacon? They don’t gel, they don’t look right.

I think the Cobra-La designs are cool and fun the toys do look cool but they look like another franchise. They make more sense fighting the Visionaries visually and not something made to fight GI Joe. Visually it’s jarring and looks like it’s own thing entirely bolted on to the franchise in the most thoughtless way possible.

Now I despise Star Brigade but at least it had a cohesive look and someone sat down and said how do these two groups fight, what does the war look like. And you ended up with some inspired alien designs and cool looking spacesuits and mechs, even if the toys were poorly executed. I still think it’s an asinine direction for the Brand and had Hasbro had the balls to stand behind Star Brigade and create a new franchise it might have all worked well. Having an earth-space-army, a Space Force if you will, with characters built around the concept of fighting aliens not Roadblock a bouncer and chef from Biloxi Ms. inexplicably in a spacesuit.

Anyway that’s my gripe. Both good ideas and concepts that were hurt by being bolted on to a franchise that didn’t fit them instead of being crafted into a stand-a-lone franchise. And for obvious reasons they both failed.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

Well said tattooedrobot. Unfortunately the 80s are gone and we are no longer 5 - 15 year olds, what Hasbro should do is continue releasing the popular characters keep the designs as close as possible to the original toy line, and eventually through Hasbro pulse do fan choice lines, like python patrol or even a realistic and better designed Star Brigade or eco warriors. If Hasbro does the Aliens again, call it Dr. Mindbender or Destros genetic experiments.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hasbro' been pushing B.A.T.s since the early mid-2000's as primary enemies for Joes. There was even a cancelled line called Robot Rebellion where B.A.T.s were the main enemies. Variations of them were cannon fodder in the Sigma 6 anime too.

Wouldn't be surprised if Classified or any new Joe line ends up heavily featuring B.A.T.s with a new M.A.R.S. engineer character based on Elon Musk trying to overthrow Destro or something.

Could make for cool figures given that they've always had interchangeable parts. And yea it's bright and neon but I always liked the B.A.T. II with its interchangeable gun arm.

• Like Like x 2
  8. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Target has a 10% off offer yesterday so I finally put in a preorder for Duke, Scarlett and ‘Block; unfortunately Destro was sold out and Snake Eyes not available.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    Did you see Elon son’s name. Yeah definitely a BAT.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    I feel bad for the children of eccentric people. If you want to name your kid something that radically unconventional you should have to use it for yourself no less than two years first.

Nothing but respect for Prince, did he make his kid go by some random symbolism? Nope, he rocked that nonsense for himself.

• Like Like x 5
  11. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    The guy is terrified an AI is going to kill us all and names his kid a serial number. That’s some weird shit right there but you gotta love his Americanism, let’s build electric cars, giant tunnels and go to space. We lost that kind of futurism somewhere along the way good to see it back. Maybe he can build the Star Brigade and help us fight the robuts and Aliens. Go Elon, go. He did sell a pretty sweet flamethrower, seriously.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    Oh, I agree that he has done some neat stuff. I just think he should change his own name before forcing his kid into that world.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ambrojh

How about a classified BAT, basically a 6' version of the 86 3 3/4' version, sold through Hasbro Pulse for $12.99, but you have to buy a case of six (and do the same for every cobra type trooper)?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Apeface

Apeface cares not for gophers

I kind of wish Hasbro would adopt this strategy for all army building characters across their toylines.

With that said, I’m going to be out a lot of money when the Cobra troops come out. I bought so many 3 3/4 inch ones, but I love the 6 inch scale.

• Like Like x 2
  15. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    Do you like your Cobra Troops with red or black masks? Black or tan web-gear? Nightwatch? Officers, Troopers, Stinger-Driver gray?

We’re all financially fucked.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    Didn't they release an all Hydra case?

17. Ambrojh

We’re all financially fucked. You might be Tattoed, but I get paid in bags of gold before the job!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:

:lol : That is funny as hell!

@TattooedRobot I feel sorry for that kid. There's nothing wrong with a unique name, but you don't hafta make them a laughingstock wherever they go. People who give their kids stupid non-names need to be told to go back and give them an actual name.

Or at least give the kids a discount and an option to change it early.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    He can call me whatever he wants if I can get in on that sweet inheritance. I’ll change my name to Battle Android Trooper if I can get in on that Musk money.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    :lol : Your terrible!

That kid's gonna need that inheritance for therapy bills and a new name anyway. 10 bucks says the parents will be put into the shittiest old folks home money can buy as payback.

How do you even pronounce that?

• Like Like x 1