The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. ChucklesLastLaugh

ChucklesLastLaugh Undercover so long, they all forgot who I work for

Seeing the later years of ARAH Joe through the eyes of my children changed the way I viewed it all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If Cobra just went into space it would have been cool. Like say Cobra Commander takes over the moon and starts launching attacks on earth from the moon. That’s bat-shit Cobra crazy but just the right amount of crazy imho. But teaming up with the Lunatrix Empire?

• Like Like x 1
  3. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Happened to nearly all toylines eventually in those days, not just Joe. New competitors start to take attention away, you start throwing everything you can think of at the wall hoping it will stick to stay relevant.

Today, the market is different, simply relying on historic evergreen properties that recycle the same, established ideas in new ways. 30 years ago it was more open, allowing new competitors in that could chase long standing lines like Joe out.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I won't argue that, just mentioned it since Cassady mentioned it specifically when it came to the shift in design change for ARAH before he left.

5. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    I'm really only familiar with GI Joe from the first season and the movie so I'm unaware of a lot of it, but did they fight someone other than Cobra? I mean, were they straight up fighting aliens when they went to space?
    Personally I love the wacky stuff so if they made this guy in the Classified line, that'd be awesome. More neon please!

• Like Like x 1
  6. backhawkdown

as an adult fan with a fondness for the toyline a part of my identity, I can look at the evolution of the line to its ridiculous conclusion with ideas like Star Brigade and see the charm in the terrible ideas that became of the brand. But at the time, they were just bad ideas.

• Like Like x 3
  7. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I love how the alien uses clearly earth based weapons :D 

• Like Like x 1
  8. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

Conceptually I agree with you. In fact, Eco-Force was another area where GI Joe was ahead of the curve by looking at the intersection of the environment and national security :lol  Too bad those ninja force figures all looked so terrible, though. Trade off in building in action features, I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  9. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Ninja force figures were bad, but the comic storyline was pretty awesome. Loved the multiple story arc of ninja force, eco warriors, and DEA. GOAT Andrew Wildman imom

10. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

I got those comics in the mail through a direct subscription to Marvel during that time, and was mostly on board. . .until they made Firefly a ninja. Shame, GI Joe.

11. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    And you’re a ninja!
    And you’re a ninja!
    And you’re a ninja!
    And you’re a ninja!
    And you’re a ninja!

...everyone knows Firefly is Diabolik.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

ARAH line became garbage by 93, there was a notable decline by 90, but you had some decent figures until 93. Joe vehicles declined by 90, and became garbage by 91. Transformers declined with the movie, but you had some good pieces until the line became total crap with the Pretenders and micromasters.

13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I fondly remember throwing my glider Joe Cloudburst into the side of my house in the early 90's. It didn't last long but it was fun up into seeing it utterly destroyed.

And yes, it actually could fly as advertised in the commercial, up until it crashed into my house.

Ninja Force Storm Shadow had an awesome design but compromised figure. The Dollar General basic during the early 2010's didn't do it justice, looked more like the bare bones 12" Hall of Fame figure from 92 or 93.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Would I have liked to have seen something better than the Cobra La ploy, sure but they for what it was they made it entertaining enough to watch. IMO, there's no love lost for GI Joe The Movie. Aside from some animated sequences from the toy and comic commercials of 1987 and 1988, GI Joe The Movie was the last iteration of GI Joe animated programming we would get from Sunbow/Marvel Productions. That in and of itself makes it worth watching to me.
    Now the DIC GI Joe series of 1989-1992, that was trash. The other GI Joe animated attempts in the 90s and 2000s weren't memorable either, IMO.

I would have liked to see Sunbow/MP & Toei squeeze out at least one or two full length GI Joe animated season in 1987 after the movie.
    I also would have liked them to do the same with Transformers in 1987 and 1988.

15. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I must be in the minority, because I loved all of gi joe as a kid. I even loved the star brigade line and the aliens. If they did all of that in the 6 inch line I’d buy it. I just can’t jump on new designs or characters knowing they’ll eventually do RAH variants if the line continues.

16. Johnny1378

Johnny1378 Well-Known Member

As a kid, I really liked the animated G.I. Joe movie, completely crazy Cobra La plot and all. I remember being really stoked when I found the Slaughter’s Renegades three pack and the Cobra La three pack at our local K-Mart.

Looking at the movie as an adult, the Cobra La characters and story element do seem like a very odd curve ball the writers of the movie decided to throw their audience. It’s almost like what starts out as a regular G.I. Joe story takes a crazy turn when you get to the ambush part when Cobra tries to take the BET.

Looking at it as an adult, it just leans too heavily in the realm of sci-fi for me. I realize G.I. Joe has always had some sci-fi inspired tech, and of course the Rise of Serpentor went further still with that element. But having an entire secret society of humanoids that were trying to reclaim the Earth from humans, is just a bit much for G.I. Joe, in my opinion. Plus, I just prefer the comic book origin of Cobra Commander. Of course, everyone’s mileage will vary.

I will say though, the Cobra-La characters while seeming a little silly to me now, are very “toyetic” characters and would probably look cool as figures. Maybe they could finally make a proper oversized Nemesis Enforcer and give Golobulus that weird green blob looking thing that he floated around on.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  17. backhawkdown

As bad as Cobra-La is, the original idea for the movie “The Most Dangerous Man Alive” wasn’t much better even if more grounded in reality. Transformers the Movie works because it simply takes the idea of transforming robots and blows it up planet size. TMDMA doesn’t sound exciting and I would have gone with the non-sensical Cobra-La idea as well if I was trying to sell toys.

18. Bandit

Bandit Well-Known Member

Confirmation from Megalopolis this afternoon that my Wave 1 case has shipped! So excited!

• Like Like x 3
  19. moonDUST

moonDUST Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I still like Cobra La. I remember as kids me and my friends used to watch the movie over and over. We thought the Cobra La characters were very creepy and intimidating. And we always had a great laugh when serpentor went Cobra lalalalalalalah..

I guess we never saw GI joe as a real life military toy line. We loved the sci fi elements.

I do hope we get updated versions of Pythona, Nemesis Enforcer and Golabulus.

And as far as the current line, I'm eagerly awaiting the Tiger Force repaints of Duke and Roadblock :) 

• Like Like x 1
  20. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What’s all this heresy about transformers declining after the movie?! Season three is my favourite!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the joe movie (or much of the cartoon - it was the conic that drew me in on coming across it in my 20s) but all this talk is making me intrigued, for the opening at least!

I really liked Tom Scioli’s use of cobra la (as with everything about that comic), where it really fit with the OTT nature of everything but yeah,i think it would be hard to fit the concept into mainstream joe. Having said that, if it makes a cool toy, I’m up for it!