The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

"Militarily speaking, Cobra Commander is a world class buffoon!"

^said in my best Destro voice.

I jest of course, I love me some CC!

• Like Like x 4
  2. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The amount of heat that CC is getting, woo boi y'all ruthless, 80s villains didnt stand a chance on winning when the propaganda of teaching us right and wrong was first and second point of those 20-25min toy commercials, I mean they had a 30-60sec skit at the end of the commerical to throw in another commercial to teach us knowing is half the battle. Skeletor, Mumm Ra, Zarkon & Lotar, Shredder (that's been pointed out on future series episodes where they guest star), it sucked being an 80s villain

• Like Like x 2
  3. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

I liked the GI Joe movie if not for anything else, people actually got killed instead of just losing their weapon after getting hit by a barrage of fire.

• Like Like x 5
  4. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    B36634EC-5A20-4954-BA6C-57C40DCBCBD4.gif

• Like Like x 7
  5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nah, that battle mask and voice alone was enough to make him bad ass and memorable. A lot of the villains in the cartoon were goofy but their personalities shined and that's what makes them memorable. I already wanted Firefly figures years back but reading the Marvel run and seeing that his solution to run away from a bear was to climb up a tree and firebomb an entire plot of land led him to be a must-have figure. The sheer audacity and over the top rationale made Cobra villains appealing in an unscary real world way.

Plus when Cobra Commander knew Firefly was going to get his ass kicked by the Joes and sarcastically told him he'd be just fine, shit was hilarious. And in all those moments he had the battle mask on so I'm more fond of that than the hood.

The comic packs from the early 2000's caught me up a lot storywise which is why I have an affinity for some of the earlier ARAH characters. Shame the qc was hit or miss despite using largely proven designs. Mold degradation sucks.

And as good as the Moray ever was, the Joe repaint from 2004 had absolutely atrocious quality. Mold degradation hit that thing like a brick. Hit the $20 clearance mark because TRU wanted to get rid of it but couldn't. Only saving grace was that it came with a Night Force Beachhead.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In a way, I do want a few Cobra La figures. Golubulus, Nemesis Enforcers, Pythona & their soldier guys.

How about a Cobra Commander partially turned into a snake. Once a man.....

• Like Like x 4
  7. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

I'm more preferential to the G.I. Joe with a bit more grit and realism but I grew up with ARAH, I saw the movie in the theater, and so the colorful aspects of the 80s cartoon and toys have a place in my heart.

I'd love to see what could be done with respect to taking the Cobra La designs and implementing them in the great toy engineering we see in the Classified line.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A little throwback from way back.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I’d be up for cobra la, but probably if they did more on the redesign/reimagining front - something with a guyver like look (thinking of the zoalords etc).

• Like Like x 2
  10. Convotron

I'm with you on reimagining the designs and definitely something in the vein of the Guver. I can understand people not being a big fan of Cobra La but I think a visual make over and doing away with goofier stuff like "Cobra lalalalala!" would make them more palatable in the Classified line.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only way Cobra-La would work for me was if it was a Cobra genetic experiment. I can buy Cobra Commander and crew mutating troops and animals into monsters. That’s very in-keeping with the characters. I’d go that route if it had to happen. I’d even retcon it into being some ploy by CC to attack the world and the Cobra-La dummies are so so stupid an brainwashed they don’t even know CC and Destro made them and had a B-Movie studio write their backstory.

I can see CC berating them now...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    With the greatest intro ever made.

• Like Like x 9
  13. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Talk about setting yourself up to fail. The movie was terrible enough on its own merits, but first you had the expectations set by Transformers The Movie at how awesome a movie for your toys could be, then after waiting what seemed to be an eternity in kid years for it to be released on video because it never came to theaters (although there was a kid that claimed to have seen it at the local dollar theater; we didn’t believe him but what he told us it was about turned out to be true when we finally saw it so it got some distribution it seems), the first thing you experience is that opening which takes your idea and expectations for the episode openings and turns it into a cinematic variant that made you think the movie that followed would be of the same quality.

Oh, how it wasn’t. That opening raised the bar, then the movie proceeded to beat your childhood dreams to death with that bar.

• Like Like x 7
  14. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    The 90's Joe lines weren't the best but even then I still prefer them over Cobra La. I'd even take Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat Joes, inaccurate as they were, over Cobra La. Vega and Scorpion with Joe weapons were more appealing than Globulus and the other guys.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Convotron

Yeah, the whole hidden history of an ancient civilization and stuff with Cobra La was not just silly, it added a layer of complication the plot didn't need. I say the same for adding Falcon as an arbitrary and cliche sibling with a chip on their shoulder who has to go through a journey to learn the value of teamwork.

So if one must have Cobra La, simplify the concept and make it a product of Cobra's bio engineering department and/or make it a rogue experiment by Dr. Mindbender.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Or pretend they never happened. It was hilarious how IDW's 1st and only appearance of Ninja Force was a cameo when they died. Cool designs for would-be figures but gone in 1 issue.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Convotron

People can select which parts of G.I. Joe they want to enjoy. No need to pretend that something didn't happen.

18. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    True. I don't enjoy Cobra La. So if they somehow get made in Classified, I'm in no one's way to buy them.

• Like Like x 2
  19. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

I don’t think he’s saying the fan is pretending it didn’t happen, he’s saying Hasbro, in creating a continuity moving forward, pretends it didn’t happen and simply doesn’t consider it as part of Cobra’s origins in the new continuity they establish with the toys or movies.

Cobra-La was a bad idea that the only fondness for is from nostalgia for all aspects of the brand, even that of which we didn’t like as kids. That’s the power of collecting based on childhood memories, the reminiscing of those ideas brings joy that may have been absent when we were kids. Sure, some kids may have liked it; I certainly thought the characters were cool and wanted the toys, but even at 10 years old I knew the story was garbage and had no place in the Joe universe.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Convotron

The only way it would make business sense for such niche characters to show up would be in a limited run exclusive offer, most likely as part of a tie-in to a rerelease of the animated movie. Otherwise, the room in the Classified line is too precious to put something like Cobra La into.

Totally agreed. That's why I suggested that if Cobra La was to be used, simplifying it and not going the same route as the movie would be an option to consider.

• Like Like x 2