The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Fc203

Fc203 Hasbro shill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Very misleading
    Screenshot_20200504-013303.png

2. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    I agree. BaFs are bad, especially for any of you who choose rather to hunt in stores rather than buy cases online.

BaFs were made so that WalMart and the like wouldn't be stuck with a shit ton of Deathloks, first appearance Spider-Man figures and Lady Deathstrikes in the guised lure of giving fans larger figures without taking up any more retail space. And it almost made sense for ToyBiz to do it back then because comic book characters aren't all easily translated into six inch figures and Marvel wasn't the Disney money beast it is now.

But that was when figures were also considerably cheaper. At twenty dollars a go, I don't know why anyone would want to be strong armed into buying five figures they only kinda sorta may or don't even want to build a character or small vehicle or add-on they do. Especially since practically every Joe can be made to fit in a 1:12 figure format reasonably well.

Add to it the risk that you'll either get to a shelf two minutes too late and only ever have five-sixths of a BAT because you never did find the short packed Zarana or have six dozen left Billy legs because that's what came with Crimson Guard. Then you'll be sending them to that guy on YouTube just to get rid of them and the rest of us will have to listen to him complain about how he has six dozen and five left Billy legs and he'd really prefer everyone stop sending them to him even though he'll gladly take your spare Zarana just to unbox it for another, "look what you gave me" video.

And that's assuming your WalMart even decides to carry more than one case of Joes per wave. Because GI Joe isn't Marvel and even Star Wars doesn't maintain the shelf presence it once had.

Nope, don't go wishing for bad ideas folks. You'll get monkey pawed eventually.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

I agree with no BaFs. I don't think they're that bad but I would rather Hasbro Pulse exclusives or something similar instead.

I have 10 of each Cobra and Joe for wishlists as well as extra "special options" so I can squeeze in more "wants", haha. Obviously this is a wishlist, not a "how Hasbro should do things list" so this isn't going to be necessarily a realistic list of toys that could get into the Classified line.

First for the 10 of each single carded characters:

Joes:
    Storm Shadow v2(v50 for an updated accessory list)
    Flint
    Lady Jay
    Mutt and Junkyard Dog
    Rock 'n' Roll
    Doc
    Spirit
    Gung Ho v20 with design callbacks to v1
    Beach Head
    Low Light

Cobra:
    Cobra Commander
    Storm Shadow v1
    Cobra Trooper
    Major Bludd
    Firefly
    B.A.T.S.
    Scrap Iron
    Viper
    Dr. Mindbender
    Alley Viper

Next are special options that will have either groups of character or characters with vehicles as possibly retail releases but in some cases, Hasbro Pulse exclusives.

Characters w/vehicles:
    Zartan with the Chameleon swamp skier
    Wild Bill with the Dragonfly
    Deep Six with the S.H.A.R.C.
    Destro v2 with the Despoiler OR could be a group pack of Destro v2 with an Iron Grenadier
    Thrasher with the Thunder Machine
    Sgt. Slaughter with the Triple T
    Cobra H.I.S.S. Driver with the H.I.S.S. Tank(possibly Hasbro Pulse exclusive)

Group packs:
    Tomax and Xamot with a Crimson Guard
    The Dreadnoks, Triple Threat (Buzzer, Ripper, Torch)
    The Dreadnoks, Double Trouble (Zandar, Zarana)
    Ninja Showdown 1 (Quick Kick, Red Ninja v1)
    Ninja Showdown 2 (Jinx, Red Ninja v5)
    Destro v2 with an Iron Grenadier OR could be Destro v2 with the Despoiler

Group Packs for a remastered re-release of the 1987 animated movie on DVD:
    Serpentor with the Air Chariot
    Sgt. Slaughter's Renegades (Mercer, Red Dog, Taurus)
    Cobra La (Golobulus, Nemesis Enforcer, Royal Guard)

Hasbro Pulse Exclusive for fan character:
    Steel Brigade (This one is inspired by a custom toy service that I can't recall the name of but you would upload photos of your face and head and the company would then create a 3D sculpt of a toy head to a scale of your choice (1/6 and 1/12 I think), and you could create a custom action figure based on you! Imagine being able to do this for the head sculpt and then have it put onto the standard buck of the Steel Brigade figure for the Classified line! Incidentally, I sent away for a Steel Brigade toy when I was a kid and it was such a thrill to directly be involved with having a personalized toy made in small part by me.)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd definitely also be up for a slower pace for more unique parts - quality over quantity every time, but particularly for this line.

Yeah, I loved those squad packs. You got cool variations on (eg) the trooper theme like these guys (I'm meaning more the equipment than the fact they're desert themed):
    IMG_1974.JPG IMG_1975.JPG

And I second whoever mentioned wanting helmets/working holsters etc as much as possible. I loved that in 25th/poc you could mix up the webbing etc and create new looks and variations.

Excellent question! my 20 'obscures' (some aren't that obscure I guess) are below, and a few of them would be on my straight top ten list too:

Joes:
    Falcon
    Tunnel rat
    Slipstream
    Crazylegs
    Rampart
    Airborne
    Ripcord
    Wetsuit
    Countdown v2
    1994 gi joe

Cobra:
    CG immortal
    Wild weasel
    Strato viper
    WORMS
    Astro viper
    Night viper
    Night creeper
    Hiss driver
    Eel
    Snow serpent

And even then I had to make tough choices! Bring em all on!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I want a Classified gold helmet Steel Brigade trooper with the dark blue suit. That design was awesome. Also Ripcord could be good if it comes with a lot of gear.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely have too much time on my hands

upload_2020-5-4_21-55-2.png

• Like Like x 13
  7. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i think we do better getting 2pks, there are a lot of hero/villain equivalents if they're trying to push it and if they can do it for $30-35 since there are no license fees for GIJoe. Box sets, con/fan chanel/store exclusives like Slaughters Marauders, these 3 as an exclusive would work
    [​IMG]
    Serpentor and Dr Mindbender are pretty sure to get figures so i only mean those weird 3 but add in 2 regular Cobra-La troopers and you have a full box set one of many that can be done with the concern of trying to sell individual bcuz only completest and true fans are gonna want those, same as say
    [​IMG]
    we know Zartan is an easy sell but what about the rest of his militia? easy 2pk is
    Tomax and Xomat
    [​IMG]
    just floating my 2 cents and ideas

• Like Like x 4
  8. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Top 10:
    1. Snake eyes V3
    2. Lady Jaye
    3. Flint
    4. Lifeline
    5. Dial-Tone
    6. Lowlight
    7. Sci-fi
    8. Free fall
    9. Jinx
    10. Airtight

Cobra (not counting troopers)
    1. CC helmet or battle armor
    2. Baroness
    3. The twins
    4. Destro V2
    5. Big Boa
    6. Crocmaster
    7. Metalhead
    8. Zartan
    9. Firefly
    10. Zarana

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Can we strike Cobra-La from existence? Who thought that was a good idea for the franchise?

• Like Like x 5
  10. ChucklesLastLaugh

ChucklesLastLaugh Undercover so long, they all forgot who I work for

That whole movie was just a bad dream Shipwreck had after an all nighter in Tijuana.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Apparently some exec saw some placeholder stuff in early scripts and... thought it was cool and ran with. Or so story goes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Lol. I still remember the schoolyard chatter generated by Serpentor's introduction into the franchise. I hated Serpentor, but he sure made an impact...for better or worse.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Not gonna lie, when he first shouted, "Cobra-la-la-la-la!" I burst out laughing for like ten minutes. He was super goofy and I loved it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Honestly...he kinda scared me a little...

• Like Like x 2
  15. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    That is hilarious.

I mean I don’t actually hate the designs or the concept I just cannot reconcile it with G.I. Joe. I don’t even want them in a shared universe with Transformers. Ninjas and crazy flamboyant terrorists sure....Aliens and underground bug people ...a bridge too far, let’s leave that to other franchises.

The problem is Cobra Commander and Destro are awesome in the comic and campy AF in the Sunbow cartoon but either way they are awesome and fun. Serpentor is a bizarrely garish box of rocks. For a guy who is supposedly cloned from Julius Caesar, Attila the Hun, Napoleon and who knows who else he is boring as all hell. It’s pretty bad when Dr. Mindbender is a more convincing villain. Serpentor is like all bark and no bite. Sweet ride tho’ not gonna lie.

• Like Like x 3
  16. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i'm dead, i loved the Cobra-la call, i thought it was ******ed funny, and overall i like the idea behind Serpentor and as it greatly shows Cobra-La would have to be something later in the line as like a ToyFair or SDCC exclusive, tbh i have not bought a single ML group minus the A-Force box set for customs, i normally it ebay and grab the one person i want from the group, i don't actually think i'd care much about the GIJoe box sets since the only figures i desire are the ninjas and black people

• Like Like x 1
  17. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

"Hog-wash" like Cobra Commander said in the opening scene of the 87' movie.

Cobra-La was pretty dumb but I loved them all the same. A 25th Golobulus and Royal Guard were two big opportunities missed in the 25th line in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I rented the GI JOE cartoon movie thinking it would be as awesome as the Sunbow toon but the ONLY thing I liked from it was the animation and the mid-80's ARAH designs showing up like the Conquest X-30. Surprisingly we've never gotten a cartoon accurate Conquest X-30 in vintage ARAH packaging.

I actually found the DiC cartoon more enjoyable than the cartoon movie and that isn't saying much. They're all better than the short CG Spytroops/VVV movies we got in the early 2000's.

The designs from Draxhall Jump from the 2000's have never been done justice to. A case of the toys looking nothing like the box art. I'd like to think they'll finally shine as Classified figures. I like their aesthetic more than what I'm seeing from Classified so far.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    Please take this in the completely joking way it’s intended...

C130A328-6DF9-4630-99E2-092329A4930C.gif

• Like Like x 5
  20. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    GI The Movie is just one long terrible episode of the show that it never recovered from.

• Like Like x 2