The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I feel the same. Even with media to back it up , we've seen lines fail or faulter hard. I mean RoC failed despite the movie. SWBS was severely hurt with TLJ and Hasbro barely supposed RoS because of that. TF:TLK bomb ircc.

And Retaliation was a failure and it's probably the best comparison since Hasbro released the toys way before the movie.

"Coolness appeal" just isn't enough sometimes. And let's not forget massive movie tie-in product launches are just dead now. We're lucky to get an end cap or small island display these days for most toy driven movies.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the appeal is meant to be as broad as possible. I assume when kids go to look for Snake-Eyes they’ll see the rest of the line-up. Whether that works or not I cannot say but my girls head right to the toy section and either ask for stuff that appeals to them or they watched someone open in YouTube. True story. If some yappy bitch with pink and purple hair unboxed a GI Joe on YouTube my girls will want it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure if this is the case here but some people are butthurt at Channing Tatum for the failure of the GI Joe movies. As if he wrote and directed the darn thing himself.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    Keep in mind that this is a company that was allowing a secondary studio to make web based animated shows for their toys lines... almost a year after figures for the show were discontinued. Three times now... four if you count Netflix's Siege series.

Actually, they may be strategizing that releasing the shows so after the fact helps clear peg warmers for new products.

5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Heh, CT is last on my list for hating RoC. I think MW and JGL ruined it far more than CT.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Yup, it's expensive as all hell, haha!

• Like Like x 1
  7. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

The biggest mistake of the two films was listening to fan complaints and killing him off in Retaliation; he became a huge star right before its release and Retaliation may have been a big hit if they would have made a Channing Tatum/Rock buddy film.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    That wasn't why he was killed off. He requested to be killed off so he could work on other projects.

The biggest mistakes to me, were putting all the eggs in the movie basket, writing the ROC movie during the writer's strike, having Stephen Sommers refit his abandoned "Accelerator" movie with GI Joe elements to make ROC and postponing Retaliation for 1 year for 3d conversion thereby also making a long gap of release between waves 1-2 and 3-4. Back then maybe it seemed smart, in retrospect I don't think it was. Given what we know about ROC now, it just seemed like a quick attempt at a money grab when Retaliation following suit. Did either work? In the long run, I don't think they did. Maybe the hype had momentum rather than any excitement after the movies premiered.

Oddly enough, had he had his way initially, we wouldn't have really seen him, only a stunt double. He requested to play Snake Eyes but was turned down immediately.

There's a "themed" assortment for Classified in store computers but we dot know what it's for yet. Some think it's a Snake Eyes movie wave.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe. It's tough to say for me. I'm not the biggest fan of military movies where people are "buddies". Hollywood has a hard time drawing the line between where camaraderie ends and the necessary chain of command begins.

I loved Stargate SG-1 for example but as the series went on the exchanges between O'Niell and Carter or Hammond are almost cringe worthy in their informality and borderline insubordination. If you're not going to adhere to certain levels of military protocols don't make it a military movie IMO.

10. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That would've been awful because they no doubt would have had him take the mask off 90% of the time so that we could all see it was Channing Tatum like they did with RDJ and Iron Man.

11. backhawkdown

We may be splitting hairs here, but Paramount didn’t have to acquiesce to his request, and in my opinion did so because of fan backlash. This is a situation we may both be right about.
    The Accelerator Suits were the best idea in the movie. My opinion, ironically as I defend the designs of the new toys, is that the character designs in ROC killed any potential interest in it as it simply didn’t have a visual aesthetic that excited audiences. Had the uniforms looked like the POC designs, which melded the ROC armor with military looks with individuality for each character, I think the movie, including posters and trailer, would have looked much more interesting as a military/sci-fi adventure and audiences would have been much more interested in seeing it. Instead the characters just looked generic and audiences passed on it.

Considering the lack of interest in ROC, I don’t think anything other than selling the then star Channing Tatum would have made Retaliation more successful than it was (and it did gross more worldwide than ROC). It certainly didn’t help that, for as bad as the writing was for ROC, the script for Retaliation was far worse, and it looked like a low budget 80’s movie filmed on whatever location they could secure for cheap. Other than the mountain fight everything else looked small-scale and cheap. It was truly a terribly made movie.

12. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    f*** RoC, all I want to know is why we never got more stories set in the GI Joe Resolute universe?? I've yet to meet anyone who didn't like it for it's mix of Sunbow and Marvel comics history while weaving in more mature content.

• Like Like x 5
  13. ChucklesLastLaugh

ChucklesLastLaugh Undercover so long, they all forgot who I work for

Tatum felt the Joe fanatic backlash pretty hard. It would be hard to believe that didn't play a role in his decision.

14. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

I wonder if Amazon, Target and Walmart have a say in design choices. Like if you want us to carry this, make it like this. That could be a factor here too.

Maybe they were reluctant to carry the brand because of poor sales previously and stipulated certain things.

15. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    The dude is an absolute fucking doorknob. It’s not his fault the movies failed, just like it’s not his fault he can’t act or is about as interesting as a slice of fucking bologna. But it is the fault of whoever cast someone completely devoid of personality in a movie.

16. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He was terrible in that film. I remember it being the first thing I ever saw him and thinking "My gawd, this guy's acting is awful. He's so bad he's making a Wayans look good. A WAYANS!"

• Like Like x 1
  17. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Deathstroke Knights and Dragons has that feel to it. I love that series.

They should get the people who make that to make a new GI Joe series. They'd be perfect. Although it's not really for kids (but you can be sure kids watch it).

18. backhawkdown

He got cast because he was being groomed to be a star by the industry and this appeared to be a starring role that would propel him into that stature.

And as much as Joe fans hated him for being Duke, the industry was right and he did ascend to be a star. The Duke role is actually more of a black mark on his career than he was a black mark on the role. He was what the role needed, the movie was simply bad.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    I wouldn’t define him as a “star” the best movie I’ve seen him in is Logan Lucky and I forgot he was in it cause... Adam Driver and Daniel Craig. At best he’s a pretty face which Hollywood equates with acting ability and personality, he has neither. He would make a phenomenal back up dancer for some poprock rap schlock band though.

• Like Like x 1
  20. backhawkdown

Whether we enjoy his movies is separate from whether he headlined hugely successful movies that made him a household name and a star — 21 Jump Street, Magic Mike, White House Down, and Fox Catcher was extremely well received critically; plus many supporting roles meant to leverage his stardom like The Lego Movie.