The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Well, there was some kind of decision made not to give Roadblock an M2 Browning. Obviously the topic came up. Who knows why they didn't.

I can see the eBay/Instagram 3P suppliers coming through already so I'm not worried.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  2. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Right, but a Snake Eyes movie has to potential to move Snake Eyes (and Storm Shadow/Ninja) merchandise. A kid might see that movie and want all the ninjas, but how is that going to promote Duke, Scarlett, and Roadblock?

3. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Scarlett is in the movie....

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I was really hoping they were saving Destro’s reveal for Australia ToyFair but that does not appear to be the case. Very much looking forward to his reveal. He’s pretty much the make or break figure for me with the Classified line.

The other characters currently revealed look good to ok to me. Destro is the one I want to really hit the mark (whether it’s ARAH inspired or something of a modern take, I’m open to a certain extent , but I am hoping for at least something more like Snake Eyes as opposed to RB or Scarlett).

5. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Yeah same here, hoping he's closer to the ARAH aesthetic, even POC, just not as video game-y as Duke/Roadblock/Scarlett. That said, I completely forgot that Storm Shadow was also going to be in the movie. I hope Hasbro doesn't disappoint with his figure for the line.

6. ChucklesLastLaugh

ChucklesLastLaugh Undercover so long, they all forgot who I work for

You realize there is no logic to your misanalysis here? Some people are critical, others buy a product.

How do you figure that necessarily equates the people being critical also being the ones who bought the product?

Are you really incapable of separating other people into these two distinct categories? Bizarre.

There may be a third group where the two overlap, but you have no reason to insinuate that I or anyone else here is a part of it.

I said my piece in both the MP-44 thread and the Unicron thread. I bought neither.

The age old forum question, who is more tiresome, the critical poster or the poster who bellyaches about them.

Also, your use of the term fanboy here is not really accurate. A fanboy is someone who is incapable of being critical of their brand of affection. Not someone making a calm, critical observation about said brand.

The point isn't that it is unusual for Hasbro to release Joe designs without media to back them up. I just wanted to share my thoughts that I don't think it is a good idea.

Some people might think Hasbro is incapable of making mistakes and their crack research teams have got it all figured out, I don't buy that at all. They make mistakes and sometimes the brand suffers for them.

I also think your comparison to Superhero movie toys is reaching and inappropriate for what I would think should be obvious reasons. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

THIS Scarlet won't be in the movie. I'm willing to bet movie Scarlet won't look like this.

I was assuming they would have another Scarlet design for a movie figure, but now that you mention it, I suppose they could just skip the movie accurate Scarlet altogether and hope people put two and two together and buy this figure because there is also a character named Scarlet in the movie.

I might buy the movie figures if the characters actually represent the look they have in the movie and I like the movie. I do have a nice set of movie figures from the ROC and RET and I like those movies enough, so there is hope.

Joe Movie 1.jpg Joe Movie 2.jpg

Proof I spent money on ROC and RET movie figures. ;) 

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  7. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. I will say that I don't understand that one. Especially since the Heavy Mandalorian figure in the Black Series just came out with a giant machine gun-looking weapon, that probably shoots laser blasts. Seems to me like it would have worked well with Roadblock too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Neat. It will be interesting to see how much she resembles the Classified figure. So that's Snake Eyes and Scarlett that may get some kid interest, via the movie. What about Duke and Roadblock?

9. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Brand interest and awareness is what will drive the success of the toyline, not whether every potential consumer sees every character in the movie.

get them interested in the brand and consumers will become interested in the characters. Just like we did, staring in excitement at the cardbacks and catalogs of all the new characters and figures that we hadn’t been exposed to yet in the cartoon or comic.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    True. That's the reason I collect all of the Marvel Legends. Even the dumb ones, haha!

• Like Like x 3
  11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

In a weird way, I'm kinda glad the designs aren't appealing to me. Really don't need another line to delve into and these designs help curb that. Now when they transition to ARAH, my wallet is in a while heap of trouble.

• Like Like x 4
  12. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Exactly. It’s always surprising how willfully unaware people are about their own likely purchasing motivations when they want to criticize something they don’t like, but want to pretend the criticism is based on market concerns.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    We are in total agreement on this.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Ouch, that's gotta hurt in the wallet. I only have a few MCU MLs (that I kind of regret buying, honestly -- they are boxed up currently), but my ML collection mostly consists of the '90s X-Men characters. And of course, I like those characters because of the '90s X-Men comics and the cartoon.

Look, I totally get that some toy collectors will just buy a toy because it looks cool -- for example, the Fortnite figures are really popular with some adult collectors that have never even played the game. For me though, my collection habits are tied to media/characters -- as in, I have to like the character to want the figure, and to like the character I will have had to seen or read about the character somewhere (other than just the back of the box/card).

I don't know that simply putting G.I. Joe toys in stores is enough to get kids buying (if that's really what they're going for), even with the Snake Eyes solo (but plus Scarlett) movie coming out.

• Like Like x 3
  15. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    I have no idea what the movie costumes look like and I highly doubt they’ll match the Classified line but Snake-Eyes exists within the G.I. Joe mythos. If fans are unfamiliar with G.I. Joe and enjoy the movie GI Joe is a mere google search away. I don’t really think expecting some cross-interest is that surprising. This is no different than the myriad of other redesigns the team has had over the decades except fans built up in their own minds what the Classified line had to be, before they saw it. And they were warned ahead of time it wasn’t going to be ARAH.

In addition the last two movies spawned expansive toy releases with designs not seen in either film, with no supporting media and I don’t recall anyone crying in their beers about random Joes or JUNGLE DUKE who wasn’t in the movie and looks nothing like dickhead Channing Taint-Um.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Hasbro ought to put up an advertisement for the G.I. Joe Classified figures, right before the Snake Eyes movie. That might work. But again, I don't know that a kid would come out of the Snake Eyes movie and immediately google either "Snake Eyes" or "G.I. Joe", to find the tie-in products. It might work better with Gen X/older Millennials, to rekindle their interest in G.I. Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Neither here nor there but it's peculiar that Duke and Snake Eyes have real(ish) world firearms but Roadblock has some sort of sci-fi blaster.

• Like Like x 3
  18. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

It's mostly just Snake Eyes, but I see your point. Snake Eyes gets a standard uzi -- the same kind he's had in comics since the '80s. Duke's rifle and pistol look like they were once a real weapons, but modified to be a laser guns. I don't know what is going on with Roadblock, but it's funny to me that the Heavy Artillery Mandalorian has a "sci-fi laser-gun" that looks more like a real weapon, than what Roadblock is using.

heavy-artillery-mando.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  19. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    Eh, rail guns aren't exactly new to GI Joe. Assuming that's what Roadblock's rifle is.

That's what I would call it if I were to collect the line.

I don't dislike that as much as I do the random body armor from the Avengers' lost and found box that the Joe's are sporting. And the fact that it's a tactical gold. Knee pads, check. Shin guards, check...

Helmet... apparently for pussies.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  20. ChucklesLastLaugh

ChucklesLastLaugh Undercover so long, they all forgot who I work for

Dickhead Channing Tatum? What did I miss?

Great insult. Was that a Wordburglar reference? Who is crying in their beers? I want to laugh at them too.