The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    Yeah... the 25th line was a money pit for me too. At least when the figures are five or six bucks a piece. I bought so many vipers

• Like Like x 3
  2. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Calling truce here for a friendly conversation...

for me, the 25th line doesn’t hold up well as good/fun toys. Outside of the excitement when collecting them as they released the best thing I can say about them is they have been easy to sell off at an increase in value.

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here. with that price point I just got almost every figure. I think they looked great, with some exceptions like Duke's head sculpt, but I do wish the legs had upper thigh swivel. Just on instinct from handling other figures I always wanted to rotate their legs but couldn't.

4. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Yeah, I've definitely bought designs that came out after that but not even close to anything I would consider a priority. All based on how cool it looks to me at the moment and if I want to spend the asking price for it. In most cases, unless it was really cool to me, I passed. But anytime I saw figures in the classic, pre-88 design style, those were mostly intabought.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

I too loved collecting the 25th line, and I collected it hard. But I tend to agree, the figures were very rubbery and not nearly as satisfying to play around with as my old vintage ARAH figures. They looked great, and they had tons of modern articulation, but they really needed to use a better material to give the figures a bit of... substance. I still have a ton of 25th-ROC-POC-50th figures, both loose and carded, but it's rare that I ever feel compelled to do much with them. It was great at the time, but my love of them still pales in comparison to ARAH.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We’re like those people who win the lottery and their lives go down the drain.

Some of those t crotch/new o ring figures were cool designs, but executed terribly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

I don't always agree with Michael, but this time...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think I see where this is going...40th anniversary for ARAH is 2022. That gives the Classified line at least 2 years at retail to survive with these modernized character designs. If it does well, good. If it does bad, Hasbro can fall back to 3.75-4" Joes with an ARAH 40th anniversary line of 3.75-4" figures and vehicles.

I think a 3.75-4" line for the 40th anniversary line is inevitable. I also think if the Classified line does well up until that point, maybe that's when we'll see 6" Classified figures based on the ARAH designs we've wanted.

Meanwhile if you guys are into dios:
    COMPLEX Base Building Systems Series 2

I'm excited for Classified moreso by the potential of the customizers to make the figures more than what we're getting. When I admin'd HISS Tank, one constant I was always impresssd by was the customs. With a bigger figure size to work with, there's more potential.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Johnny1378

Johnny1378 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the aliens did have interesting designs. Remember the G.I. Joe Manimals offshoot from Star Brigade? They were the aliens with the transforming gimmick. They were made at the very end of the first run of the 3.75 inch line, and originally were canceled before production, but three of them ended up getting a run as a KayBee Toys exclusive. I believe the other three still only exist as prototypes and a few carded samples. They’re interesting toys for sure, but at that point in the line’s history, it had definitely strayed pretty far from what it started out as.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Watching episodes of ARAH tonight...first time in a looooong time...surprised how well this show has held up...Lol...

• Like Like x 4
  11. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It felt that when DiC GI Joe was aired, the cartoon went really "campy" & dumb (football game? come on!) of sorts.
    I only like General Hawk from that series since I like Back-Pack Wings and Armored Cobra Commander too.

Aside from Grid-Iron, there was a Joe who I can't remember his name that sporting a shirt "Might Makes Right".
    I believe he's wearing a cap and sunglasses.

A soldier wearing a statement shirt? I mean, really? :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  12. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I'm remembering now just how much I enjoy the characterizations in the old show. Goofy, slapstick, idiocy, all the different personality gimmicks, etc. So much fun. I had totally forgotten about Quick Kick's voice impersonating schtick. Roadblock's rhymes. Bazooka's dimwittery. It reminds me of snow days staying home from school watching GI Joe while eating a bowl of cereal on the living room floor.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  13. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah GI Joe holds up very well. Strong stories. Somewhat grown up feel. Transformers is still pretty good, but does not hold up as well.

I've tried other series and lots do not hold up. He-Man? Awesome as a preschooler. Adult? Dear god this is garbage. Thundercats? Memory is the intro.. reality is dull. MASK? Kiddy, but still amusing.

Some stuff is fine. Centurians i recall reruns on CN. It was pretty good.

• Like Like x 5
  14. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

The “There's No Place Like Springfield” two-parter is my all-time favorite. Very creepy for a kids cartoon, and I loved it.

• Like Like x 6
  15. ChucklesLastLaugh

ChucklesLastLaugh Undercover so long, they all forgot who I work for

Definitely. Also, "Worlds Without End." These are some of the few I remember clearly from childhood.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  16. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Absolutely. You get great adult episodes like that. I mean it is horror seeing your friends and family melt into nothing. Hell this plot could make an excellent horror film. Take GI Joe out of it and you still got true horror.

But you also get funny episodes like The Viper is Coming and Once Upon a Joe. Both are silly and fun.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

I can't remember what it was called but that GI Joe animation that came out like 10 years ago was good, or I remember it as being good. Like people died which was a shock to see. And Cobra detonated a nuke or something. Shit was crazy.

• Like Like x 3
  18. rattrap007

News Credits:
    GI Joe Resolute

• Like Like x 2
  19. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Resolute.
    Almost an hour compressed story that world at stake and still good as a web series.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

^I just watched "Worlds without End" with my youngest son over the weekend, such great episodes. I actually have it on vhs if you can believe that.

• Like Like x 2