The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Hey now, don’t knock the Techno vipers they were a cool design....well at least I think so. Lol

• Like Like x 6
  2. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    As long as it’s a flip-up blast mask we’re good.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wheeljack01

Yeah, the Alley Viper needs that. Now I am wanting a classified Techno Viper! Lol

• Like Like x 3
  4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, Techno and Range Vipers FTW. Loved those designs just as much as the Alley Vipers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

JFC, I totally missed that. Zarana exists for that, don’t do that shit to the Baroness.

• Like Like x 3
  6. wheeljack01

There is something really cool about the Techno Viper’s mask that always made me a fan. Oh man, the Range Vipers just looked straight mean!! They looked really tough, they were one of the last Cobra Troops that I liked.

Another troop nobody talks about is the Bugg driver Secto-Viper. Really liked him.

It kinda looks like something is lighting up on the gun making the tips of her hair that color. Maybe I am wrong though. They should not make her hair Purple.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    They were cool for the Techno-viper. But not every viper.

But, again, I think I was wrong. Looking at the larger spread made me go back to the Roadblock art. I think it is a flip down shield. Hopefully the sculpt underneath resembles the original figure too.

Indeed.

Pfft... I think you mean, Wannabe Mercer V2.
    mercer2.jpg
    And not even cool enough to grow a beard.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  8. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

I’m content only preordering the exclusive Snake Eyes. The rest I’ll wait to see at retail.

9. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

You mean in that one episode of the cartoon? To be fair, it wasn't much of a rivalry. Quick-Kick had just as much rivalry with him, you know, from that other episode. ;)  But seriously, I love the cartoon as much as anyone, but neither of those guys was a match for Tommy.

SE has been linked to him in hundreds of comics. Hama made it very clear that the two had a history from the very first time storm shadow appeared. I'll take the godfather's word on the subject far more than the toon writers. They didn't know what to do with SE because they didn't have the chops to write a voiceless character.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

I thought that for a second, but her hair is the same color on both sides of her face, and there doesn’t appear to be a lighting effect on her face or suit. So, it looks like she got pink/purple tips.

This isn’t Sabine Wren from Rebels. Baroness should have full jet-black hair. I really don’t get this shit.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    In that one cartoon and that one 50th 2-pack, thankyouverymuch.
    61vP1McpW1L._AC_SY400_.jpg
    And that one random comic strip:
    27-Spirit-ExplainsFINAL.jpg
    And how they are clearly evenly matched:
    85dc69797df7acf58e63b7dc2582cf23.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  12. wheeljack01

Unfortunately, you are probably right. Maybe if we complain enough before this figure debuts Hasbro may listen.

13. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

She had some pink in her hair in the 2002 Joe vs Cobra line.
    baronesswave3-1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Ordered Snake-Eyes because Snake-Eyes. The rest are not doing it for me but I may be tempted by Scarlett. Like I said before the reveals, if it’s not ARAH, I’ll be saving a lot of money. The pictures on the boxes aren’t getting me too excited either. At least I’ll get some cool looking ninjas out of this.

15. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm okay with modernization but wish modernization started with a new 4" line. At a $20 pricepoint for mass market and from all the marketing lingo in the product descriptions, it's obvious that the Classified 6" line is aimed at collectors. With that, IMO it would've been better to go classic ARAH 1st then mix modernized into waves later. Or at the very least, a mix at the beginning, to show that this line is planned to last a long time. Get older fans and newer fans into the mix at the same time.

A lot of the hype overall(from here, other sites, FB, IG, et al), was under the impression that these 6" figures would be based on ARAH.

With 3.75/4", ARAH has been done and newer designs as well as modern versions of ARAH that never made it into the 25th line, would've been welcomed.

With 6", IMO, Classic ARAH or at the very least, a mix of ARAH figures and modernized, would been better. Giving an option of ARAH or modernized, not just all 1 without the other. Just because there haven't been new, mass market Joes for like 5 years doesn't mean Joe fans will buy anything new. These are diehard fans who tend to be pretty specific. You don't admin a Joe site for 7 years without realizing that(and thank goodness for sites like Twitter because trying to sift for news on sites overseas in early morning hours isn't something I miss).

Get ready bro, she's got an ARBCO dremel tool or hair dryer in hand on that box art.
    Under new management. We are in wait and see mode, I don't expect any changes to happen.
    The great thing about the way Storm Shadow was written by Hama was that he wasn't the stereotypical evil ass villain just cause. He was someone that had a very legitimate and personal reason to hate Snake Eyes and got framed for killing his Uncle in a case of mistaken identity(on the part of Firefly and Zartan) which made for a compelling story which led him to find that revenge actually wasn't the best course of action and eventually reconciling with Snake Eyes. I think any series that paints him as a villain just doesn't get him as a character(as much as I like Resolute, that was one part I disliked about it). He's not some corny ass goody 2 shoes ninja, but he's also not some evil ninja just because Snake Eyes is a good one. Even with Renegades I didn't like how they wrote him as wanting to kill Snake Eyes but actually getting the Hard Master killed on accident.

Snake Eyes in the cartoon came off as a deus ex machina for me and the guy that was willing to sacrifice himself for the team. He didn't need to talk to be bad ass. I like the cartoon look but would like some hybrid like the V2 Mike Zeck look with purple highlights drybrushed on.
    I hated Range Vipers until I go the 25th one. That was a great design. I like a lot of the 80's Vipers.

I wonder if Hasbro will make a set with that 1 SAW Viper and everyone he killed. Some of them may be resurrected as Hama has at least 1 ARAH character back in the IDW ARAH continuation books that he forgot he killed off decades back in Marvel ARAH.

• Like Like x 7
  16. ChucklesLastLaugh

ChucklesLastLaugh Psychological Operations

I believe it was 3 episodes that build on their rivalry.

17. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    0EBEB71C-D055-43EE-9FD6-8B7CEACF4C5F.jpeg 6320B56B-79D8-482C-9F03-F4F53290FDA0.jpeg

Looks like black hair reflecting a glowing pink gun to me. The glowing pink gun is beyond me but I think that’s what we’re looking at. Sufficed to say Joe has glowing blue energy weapons so....

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Totally agree with you on how Hasbro should have started off the 6-inch like with ARAH and throw in a couple of updated designs. IMO that would really help to sell the line. Tbh I’m on the fence with this line. If it was ARAH aesthetics, I would buy doubles...

I also agree on your analysis with regards to Storm Shadow and that’s what I like about the character too.

The Saw Viper set is both cool and yet morbid. However, I don’t mind as I would like to get one of the comics most memorable villains in plastic form...up till today I still can’t get over some of the deaths like Doc and Quick Kick...

• Like Like x 3
  19. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Well thing is...Hama resurrected some of the characters he wrote off as dead in Marvel ARAH.. plus the "no figure of dead Joes" rule died out years back..so we could probably get some of the formerly dead/now alive Joes.

Interestingly...GVC in 2002 was written on the file cards as a continuation of ARAH...BUT..before and after that, it deviated and became its own thing. 2002 Nunchuk was actually Quick Kick, but later changed after the "no dead Joes" rule was made. I always saw that figure as a drastic change to Nunchuk until I read why.

Luckily we got Doc in the 25th and POC lines but the 25th one is outdated to me while the POC one has neon colors that look weird.

I would like a Snake Eyes V3 set with the 3 Cobra Troopers he killed and made his V3 uniform from. I think that's the figure that had the file card stating that he was illegal according to the Geneva Convention lmao

• Like Like x 3
  20. ChucklesLastLaugh

ChucklesLastLaugh Psychological Operations

I think this should have been obvious. I can't help but feel they have set this new line up for failure already.

The 6 inch collector line should have been ARAH toy and toon (alternate decos) and the 4 inch line could have used these designs and continued on where POC, RET, 30th guys left off with the new ideas like Hazard Viper, Data-Viper, Jungle-Viper, Shock Trooper etc were with some possible redos of ARAH characters along the way. There isn't too much ARAH that needs to redo in the 4 inch modern era scale but if they wanted to there are options to pursue.

Am I mistaken, or is it correct that there isn't even any media (cartoon, comics, movies) to back up these new and "fresh" versions of the characters?

I am holding out hope I can appreciate some of the Cobras that haven't been revealed yet, but those gold shoulder pads and possible purple highlights on Baroness have put a damper on my expectations. Hopefully Cobra Commander is at least worthy of leading some of those Alley-Vipers into combat and maybe Storm Shadow and the Red Ninjas will be on point.

• Like Like x 3