The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what comes up, but one hesitation I have is that of the few marvel legends I’ve handled recently, they seem pretty rubbery. Specifically, in the knee and elbow pieces, with the possibility of warpage, and it just not feeling that nice in hand. I’m sure I’ll be getting some either way!
    One of my hopes is for a lot of ‘gear’ - removable helmets/webbing/working holsters etc, in the way a lot of the latter 3 3/4 had.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

What I'd like is a classics driven line geared towards collectors and not kids. Include lots of accessories and charge $10 more than Marvel Legends if they need to. I'd pay it.

This isn't a line that needs updates. It's lightning in a bottle if they just keep it gangsta with 80s and 90s designs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Yeah, I might get a few if they were updated designs but I’d definitely pick and choose very selectively and be done with it. I don’t want or care about anything Joe that isn’t ARAH.

But I won’t be one to whine, kick or scream about it. As stated earlier, I’d be happy if they don’t give me what I want because I don’t really want to spend a thousand bucks on GI Joe anyways.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

I'd have to see the updates, to know for sure, but I suspect that I would lose a lot of interest if the 6in line was all updated/modern versions of the ARAH characters. As much as I enjoyed watching G.I Joe Resolute, to me, these characters live and breath in the '80s -- and I would want a 6in line that reflects either the original toys and/or the cartoon.

If they went for modern, then I could see maybe buying a few favorite characters, like Flint and Beachhead, but would likely skip other favorites like Shipwreck, because I'm just not interested in a modernized version of that character.

5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    FWIW, his Battle Corps version was bad ass, he became a SEAL at that point. I want that and a classic version, classic should come 1st of course.

Now Battle Corps Beachhead on the other hand...ugh.. no

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    i think i had that shipwreck as a kid, only version i ever had so the original version was always weird to me when i found out about it

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Now see Shipwreck is a good example of a character I would not buy a classic ARAH version of. That design always looked stupid as hell to me as a kid and as an adult, I think it just looks dated. Now the Battle Corps or the Joe vs Cobra modernized style? I'd pick that up in a heartbeat. Though I'm not against them doing a classic version of the character as there seems to be plenty of demand for that version and I hope they can give everyone something they want from this line. I think it'd be great if they can do like they do with Marvel Legends do and put out figures from all the various generations.

8. Slave IV

I don't need Shipwreak as a SEAL. That's what Torpedo is for.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    More intel:

GI Joe is being managed/overseen by John Reale. Info on his work:
    • Worked on GI joe for at least 4 years(possibly more now, he's not new to the team)
    • Recent works include working on the Power Rangers Lightning Collection.
    That last part sticks out because the body sculpts used for the Lightning Collection in some areas have more range of motion than Marvel Legends and definitely more than Black Series figures.
    Did you get the ROC one? That was a good update on the GVC one.

I still like the classic one too since that's the 1st one I was familiar with plus...that seaside docks PSA.

There's some designs that looked bad in 3.75 that I think have a lot of potential in 6", especially with today's sculpting. Stuff like the Range Viper(didn't like the original, the 25th/ROC ones were okay), Ninja Force Storm Shadow(AWESOME design, figure had wonky proportions due to the "spinning whirlwind gimmick) and Ninja Force Snake Eyes(gimmick killed an otherwise decent design).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    @Shin Densetsu I did have the ROC one. It was one of the few figures I bought from that line because it looked more like an updated cartoon design rather than one of those wonky movie designs. I didn't buy much ROC because the film left a sour taste in my mouth. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I have it too. I only liked the 1st part of the movie. Everything after the nanomites....ugh. I bought most of the toys, they've become custom fodder for me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I think you're overestimating that lightning storm. We're an echo chamber of a couple dozen fans right now. Gotta keep the price reasonable for the mass market. Even just as a reason for retailer confidence.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
  14. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Yeah, Battle Corps Shipwreck (aka "Stinky Diver") was a cool figure -- I didn't have the original Battle Corps version, but I get it when it was re-painted and re-leased in the late '90s (might have been TRU exlusives). As a toy, it's great, but Shipwreck is all about the character, for me, and I need him looking like an old school Sailor.

And Battle Corps Beachhead is a good example of when you try to update perfection, it often looks like shit.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

Hypothetically, let's say that this new 6" Joe line is basically the 3.75 A Real American Hero line, same sculpts, same accessories, etc.. Also, let's say that this line becomes very popular with limited vehicle support (i.e. flight pods, claws, silver mirage, etc), would people sell their old 3.75 line and replace with 6"?

16. Slave IV

Lol, hell no! New toys never negate old toys to me. But I'm a hoarder that has has all toys I've ever owned and the only thing limiting that is that I am selective in what I get. Hence, I'm not going to waste a bunch of money and space on 6" GI Joe figures that have designs I don't care about.

17. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

I really doubt it. In fact, I'd probably try and get more of the v1/v2 vintage figures, to display with the new 6in figures.

18. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    No, they serve different purposes to me. Using the 3.75-4" line as an action vehicle line, using the 6" line as an action figure line.

19. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

^Never!

4" Joes might have to surrender some shelf space to the 6" Joes, but I personally, would never sell my 4" line. They will always hold 1st place in my heart toy-wise anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  20. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I agree. Joes being at the 3 3/4" or 4" scale is still the Platonic form for that toy line, for me (as I'm sure people who grew up with the 12" scale feel about that size).

A 6-inch line would be a neat novelty and fun sort of "collector's edition" thing, but I can't see it being the definitive version of the line for me.

• Like Like x 1