The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

I HEART JINX. :D 

2. JoeScibelli

JoeScibelli That one Piranacon fanboy

Oh yeah, Jinx was pretty cool. Kinda wish she did something other than be Snake Eyes' sidekick, though. She felt underutilized (while I feel like more could be done with a close relative of a main antagonist).

• Like Like x 1
  3. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Man... I was just watching the old Connery bond film You Only Live Twice... I swear, take that movie, combine it with a more military-themed Avengers-style team (and like Marvel does, stay true to the source material), and bam - instant classic Joe movie.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  5. JoeScibelli

Some of them look pretty awful.

but I like the robocop ripoff

Okay, I get that the collector's service figures are limited production and not too cheap to get, but holy shit, how are these going for over $30 a piece? That's how much I paid for my TFCC Circuit, which was also new and on an external site (these are $45 at BBTS!)

6. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Its the plastic crack... :D 

7. JoeScibelli

Anyone know any Joe vehicles that stand out in terms of quality or value? I've been looking around and I find a lot that seems good mixed with a lot that doesn't.

8. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I'm partial to the MOBAT from that huge 25th Anniversary boxed set. Really is a nice centerpiece type of vehicle seeing how it's a big ol' tank. The Eaglehawk/Tomahawk helicopter is also another centerpiece type of vehicle just given its massive size.

I also love the movieverse Cobra Steel Crusher. Just an awesomely hefty armored SUV with neat gimmicks. Load that bad boy up with Cobra Shock Troopers for some urban assault fun.

For aircraft, can't really go wrong with the (Target exclusive) Cobra Rattler and G.I. Joe X-30 Conquest. Some people are turned off by the Rattler's near purplish-blue color but I personally think it's fine. The red version of the Powerglide Rattler in the SDCC boxed set is OK but be aware that the wings will most likely be all warped and bent/curved upwards.

Speaking of SDCC sets, the Jetfire version of the Sky Striker is a favorite of mine. The fastpack rocket booster makes that mold work. The Shockwave version of the updated Cobra HISS tank is pretty cool too, I think. If you can find the red (more common) or black (much more rare/expensive) version of that (movieverse) vehicle, I would recommend that.

Let's see, what else? The G.I. Joe Snow Cat/Wolf is pretty nice but some folks aren't a fan of the swirly gray mixed in with the white plastic (I personally think it's a neat look; almost camouflage-like, even). The Coba Ice Wolf is nice counterpart to it. The VAMP II with Steel Brigade Delta is neat too, I hear (I don't have that vehicle yet though).

Oh, and the G.I. Joe: The Pursuit of COBRA Cycle Armor w/ Ashiko is pretty cool too. It's a partsformer vehicle that breaks up into an armored mecha suit that combines with the Ashiko driver figure. Articulation isn't the greatest but still, I appreciate the idea that went into the cycle's gimmick.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JoeScibelli

[​IMG]
    I'll assume this is what you're referring to. It looks pretty great. Considering the age aftermarket prices concern me a bit but it does look like a really cool set.

I'll definitely keep this in mind. BBTS has a few of the 50th anniversary vehicle sets in stock, but I wasn't too sure about the quality. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    • 30th Skystriker
    • 50th Silent Skystriker
    • 25th Tiger Rat
    • 25th Rattler
    • 25th Python Patrol Conquest
    • 2000 Locust XH-1(Dragonfly repaint)
    • 25th SHARC
    • 25th Firebat
    • 25th Water Moccasin
    • POC HISS V(black)
    • POC VAMP
    • 50th Ice Wolf
    • POC Ghost Hawk
    • 25th Ghost HAWK
    • Retaliation Eaglehawk
    • 30th Black Dragon VTOL

• Like Like x 1
  11. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Yup, that's the one. I love that set. Also includes the red HISS Tank (Crimson Guard, anyone?) and Short Fuze, who tends to be a rare figure. I really wish Hasbro had reissued the Mauler or Wolverine in a boxed set of some kind.

As for the MOBAT, it does take batteries and retains its motorized tank treads gimmick from the original 80's version. There's not a whole lot of control to it though (it's no RC vehicle). Just push/pull the turret portion forward/backward to turn it off/on (I think; it's been a while since I've handled it since it's currently behind glass).

12. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    The ROC/DTC RHINO is an excellent vehicle too...must-have IMO....to think it was designed 21+ years ago. Reminds me of a mini-Aliens APC with a mini-2 seat helicopter that emerges from the middle.

14. JoeScibelli

Oh man, that looks reeeeally nice. Joining this forum was a mistake, I'm going to go broke even faster :p 

I may look into that MOBAT/HISS Tank set, as I really like the look of both vehicles. I've also been eyeing the Skystriker (I think?)/HISS Tank set on BBTS from 50th Anniversary.

The RHINO though, that thing's a beauty. Love the design, as well as how it functions.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Poor Dial-Tone. I have a soft spot for comm troops (since I am one myself). I still like my FSS and custom Dial-Tone figures. No comm, no bombs! :D 

That's another cool vehicle that I need to pick up, along with the VAMP II and Cobra Fury.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Pretty much ALL the vehicles outside of the garbage they sold in the Retaliation line are good quality.

That Silent Strike set is a pretty good deal on BBTS. The 4 figures and both vehicles are all cool.

Also a fan of the Ice wolf and Ice-Viper with the Artic Skyhawk, though the Snake Eyes with that set is superfluous.

That Eaglehawk (Tomahawk) is probably my first recommendation. You just have to find a good price.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  17. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Meh. I sold mine a while back. It pissed me off how you can't open any of the doors with the weapons attached. The color was also awkward with the rest of my Joes. I thought about giving it to Cobra, but they didn't want it either. LOL. My kids still have their copy though. I think they mostly use it fir Cobra.

18. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got this set a couple weeks ago. Still haven't unboxed it.

I'm kinda surprised Dial-Tone made that list. The majority of the list is made up of characters that never appeared in the Sunbow/MP show.

I should have the Eaglehawk today or tomorrow. Plus I have modern Lift-Ticket (1986 uniform) to go with it.
    I'll need to get the Ice Wolf/Arctic Skyhawk set after that. Man it'll be like '86/'87.

Sci-FI's helmet used to remind me of a cross between Robocop's helmet and a standard Viper's helmet.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  19. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Dial-Tone is one of my favorite Joes, that list notwithstanding. Most of it is probably the all-powerful "I had him as a kid" aspect, but I also genuinely like his color scheme and kinda swashbuckling design. Plus I love that curvy, techy backpack.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Whatcha waitin' for? Free dem Joes and Cobras and continue the fight for freedom!

I'm still in the process of loading up my Eaglehawk with tan-colored Joes like Doc. The Cobra Ice Wolf is a great vehicle; love how you can choose to display it either with skis or with folding tank treads.

Oh yeah, totally agreed that part of the reason that Sci-Fi was one of my fave Joe designs is exactly because he looks like a neon green Robocop with a backpack and laser rifle. The POC version of the character is a great figure.

Yup! Gotta respect the 'stache! The backpack design always had a cool retro look to me.