The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Metro Prime

Metro Prime Frustrated Collector

I can only make a guess on how that works, but I am going to assume that restocking the SE origins movie figures that sell slower than toxic sludge (still one movie Baroness refusing to move after the last 15 restocks) might show the analysts that the classified series is a dud. Which could lead to smaller orders and fewer restocks.

If it doesn't sell, then they don't order more. No one will ever question why an item doesn't sell. That's not their job. They just read the numbers and that's all that matters to them.

That's what makes the trust fund toy store killers such a tragedy. There's no one to tell them what does and doesn't sell. Just numbers.

So what it appears we have here with the corporate idiot stores is that they are only seeing the numbers from their own sales and not a market wide analytic that shows a products overwhelming success.

Or maybe they are, and they just want to push an over stocked load of shitty movie merch.

Until someone explains how it really works, we will continue to just believe Walmart is just full of number gazing imbeciles that have no more enthusiasm for a job well done than any average floor associate.

The only truth in this I know of is because Walmart is a corporate entity, it will never reward anyone for going beyond the call of duty. It will only ask for more effort without sufficient reward. That is how corporate structures function at the lowest levels.

I know I went on a bit of a rant here, but it's what I know, and what I can only guess at (not in that order, obviously).

But there is also the current online sales tends that should show what is and isn't favorable to "we the consumers" and I have a hunch it's why they toss the less favorable merch into the bricks and hope for random purchases to clear that inventory.

Basically, they may know what we want, but they have to sell what they thought we would want as much as possible to stay in the black.

Again, I don't really understand how this all works. There is a lot to consider and I don't trust executives, as they make poor decisions regularly based on numbers alone, so my bias remains.

2. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    CLAWS too. And Firebats.. and parachutes.. and tons of troops..

• Like Like x 3
  3. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No where to run
    no where to hide
    Panic spreading far and wide
    Who can turn the tide?

• Like Like x 5
  4. soundwave144

soundwave144 #1 Best, good friend of Soundwave on the planet.

News Credits:
    I've found a nice one on ETSY I'm gonna give a try with. It's 16 bucks free shipping but I'll wait to get it in hand before giving out his name.
    I've bought stuff from etsy before and it broke on me... :oops: 

• Like Like x 1
  5. Enewtabie

Enewtabie One of the Four Rejecticons...

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh man..I'm getting all four and two trouble bubbles. Scrap Iron is the one I've really been wanting along with a more classic Firefly.

• Like Like x 4
  6. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

I hope so X2.....

• Like Like x 2
  7. Enewtabie

Enewtabie One of the Four Rejecticons...

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Remember the small playsets like the Bivouac, the guard tower,cobra Bunker. They could do those as well. I had all of those as a kid.
    The shooting range, the mortar set, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Right now, there are reasonably affordable 3D printed versions of some of these.

9. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

The Flak, MMS and the Hal would make for good releases in Classified.

Maybe could even show up at retail.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

If a well done MMS was made around the $35-$50 range, I think the majority of HISS buyers would buy at least one. I would vote no for a PP flight pod, but if Night Force was released from Classifieds, a NF FP would do well, but watch we get a CG FP.

11. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just don't see the MMS and the HAL unless a vehicle to tow them also shows up at retail. They're kind of worthless on their own and it seems pointless to make them for 26,000 online customers who'd probably rather buy them online -- if they even have space.

They're accessories.

The FLAK could make sense and could work opposite a Weather Dominator, which is similarly constructed.

I could see a MASS Device that is also towable. Just needs wheels and a hitch. I think the MASS is probably more iconic than most vintage vehicles and the 25th anniversary version goes for hundreds on the aftermarket.

12. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Well maybe a Stinger and Vamp get made…I wouldn’t say they are worthless on their own. You could put 2-3 figures around them and make a nice display out of it.

• Like Like x 3
  13. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don’t see why they can’t be done at the price point of the existing Target figures and vehicle sets. It would seem they each are comprised of less parts than the Ram or Coil cycle. I’d add to that a Grand Slam with Jump Jet Pack and Pad. Hasbro can even double up with Grand Slam in red pads with HAL and silver for the Jump Jet Pack set. You get an easy reuse of the Stalker mold for Hawk with the MMS and a classic Rock N Roll to go with the Flak.

14. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

I think we will get a VAMP and Stinger as a HASLAB, and Hasbro could keep it simple and profitable by making it a set of both, allowing them to basically sell one mold for $250. Neither need all the frills the HISS received so the customer gets value by getting both vehicles and drivers for that $250 price point.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

The problem with releasing a classifieds Vamp and Night Stinger at retail, is the clearance brigade. How many people will wait until it goes on sale and/or is sold on clearance. Hasbro could probably get away with doing a dual haslabs project of the mold by offering 1A- Vamp with Clutch for $150, and 1B- Night Stinger with driver for $150, keep the project basic and simple. Offer a good looking quality vehicle, no unlocks, nothing new and unusual, basically upscale the ARAH version.

• Like Like x 2
  16. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Been to four Targets this week, none have that first PP/TF wave on clearance. Kind of annoying.

The Conquest was redone in PP colors back in the day. Could use that as a paint guide.

• Like Like x 1
  17. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Unless they REALLY restricted the production numbers and/or somehow managed to introduce them at a relatively low price, like $60 for driverless versions, there’s no doubt in my mind that retail Vamps/Stingers would hit clearance. I wish I had more inside knowledge of the economics of producing this type of stuff. There are plenty of examples of large-ish plastic toys at retail that can hit the $60 price point, so I would think Hasbro could get close to that with the Vamp mold.

• Like Like x 4
  18. mark4flair

If Haslab does it right, which they've proven they can with the Hiss, I think more Joe vehicles are inevitable over the next 5-6 years.

Both the Vamp (either version) and the Stinger are simple recolors with a few extra snap on pieces. I would prefer the green Vamp but would be ok with the Mark II.

Towables (ASP, MMS, HAL, Whirlwind) would all be on the smaller side of the Joe scale universe and would be easy to include or add on with a Stinger or Vamp Haslab campaign when they know how many to produce afterwards.

I think Claws, Fangs, Feretts, and the like might work at retail.

It's the tweener vehicles like Skyhawks, Sharcs, Water Moccasins, Firebats, and Pogos, these sizes of vehicles might work at retail as well, but would probably be better through Haslabs as one of's or 2packs.

Once you get into Dragonflys, Mobats, Maulers, these are the size that should definitely be Haslab offerings.

It's so fun to imagine and discuss what possibilities may come with this line we all love so much.

Note: hopefully they keep doing preorders though. From what I understand, that last batch of SW reveals aren't going to have preorders except BS Jesse. This is one of the most asinine things that I heard of in recent memory IMO....

• Like Like x 3
  19. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The towables might be the best argument for a $150 Haslab Vamp. The price wouldn’t sting nearly as much if it came with a figure and a couple or few additional accessories (couple towables and maybe a roof-mounted gun or missile rack).

• Like Like x 2
  20. mark4flair

Absolutely, I would agree that they should offer it right out of the gate and then add on figures and accessories like the Hiss tank campaign. The Hiss was 299$?, I think, and we ended up with 3 additional figures plus some accessories.

I could honestly see a Joe/Cobra jeep, 1 driver, and a towable closer to 200$ though unfortunately. ..

• Like Like x 2