The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    More could’ve been done to push it. I’m glad they did something in these last few days instead of just letting go but there are a few areas which could’ve pushed backing further.

I’ve seen how things have gone in the online joe community prior to the arrival of the “new sculpt” 2002-2006 lines and from the transition from 3.75 o-ring Joes to 4” modern Joes. The gi joe fandom is strong but Hasbro has made divisive decisions even with the Haslab Skystriker.

The 1st wave and a half of the 2002 line turned older o ring fans away due to initially doing away with the o-ring in favor of t-crotch construction. Some of the sculpts were also disproportionate. O ring came back in part of GI Joe VS Cobra wave 2 but proportions were affected further. Some older o ring fans turned away for good. I stuck with the “new sculpt” lines due to availability and at the time thought they were okay(they were also reasonably priced)…however almost 20 years later now I think they haven’t aged well. Proportions are an aspect that the original ARAH line did better.

By 2007 the 25th/modern 4” era started with a lot of growing pains. By wave 5 and by ROC build quality was a lot better/sturdier and the style of construction gained many fans. Still divisive though, it didn’t win back all the old ARAH o ring fans and due to a change in scale(3.75-4”), fitting modern joes(if they could fit) in some older ARAH vehicles tended to have mixed results(figure scale scaled up all around but vehicles not scaling up over all accordingly relative to the modern 4” joes). 4” scale Joes have continued on since 2007 leading up to the current retro Joes at Walmart.

From 2002-2006 fans of ARAH o ring and hard plastic construction only had 2 options:
    • Toys R Us exclusive sets
    • Joecon sets(I think they stopped using ARAH o ring/hard plastic construction by 2009 or not long afterwards)
    So fast forward to now, you have the Haslab Skystriker which even up until now, Hasbro hasn’t acknowledged if 2 modern(2007-present 4”) joes can fit in. The most recent pics lead me to believe they won’t. Yet being that it was a question seen frequently across comments on their social media pages, it’s odd there’s still no answer. At the very least, new swappable seats that are compatible with 4” Joes should be included IMO because without them, it’s overlooking fans of the 2007-present 4” Joes, which formed a big portion of the fandom from 2007-present. The 2011 Skystriker not being designed to fit 2 modern joes in the cockpit was a dealbreaker for some and a big difference between it and the 1983 version.

With that said, it’s cool that fans of the original ARAH o line are getting this Haslab Skystriker aimed directly at them. However… not all of them may know that. Some of them already felt ignored by Hasbro when production of the older ARAH o ring figures decreased, ending with the last being Joecon exclusives over 10 years ago. Some opted not to go for the exclusives. Some may have not even paid attention to Joes since. Most people who know about the Haslab Skystriker are people who stuck with the brand throughout all of its changes and were on Gijoe sites or threads like this elsewhere.

However, not even all of Hasbro’s official joe sites/pages featured subsequent updates for the Haslab Skystriker(yea some of them updated but some not until yesterday). Updates for it have been inconsistently scattered. My cousins who had Skystrikers long before I ever did didn’t know about it until I told them and they’re part of the target demographic this is aimed at.

Giving it more thought, if I were in charge these are changes I would’ve made(aside from reaching out to the US Navy, Grumman, former Tomcat crews/maintainers to further push word out, in addition to seeing if Paramount could grant licenses for o ring Maverick/Goose/Merlin/Iceman/Slider and relevant markings for Top Gun themed unlocks):
    • Base offering to include Ace, Wayne Ruthel, all missles and effect parts, parachutes, extra vertical stabilizers/canopy, extra pair of seats compatible with modern joes, ammo cart and refueler tank as well as a pair of F110-GE-400 engines(to represent an F-14B or F-14D Super Tomcat) for $99.99 with 10,000 backers needed
    • Stand unlocked at 11,000 backers.
    • Newly designed laser guided bombers, LANTIRN pod and JDAMs for use with the Skystriker to turn it into a Bombcat unlocked at 12,000 backers
    • Night Force Ripcord, Lady Jaye with helmet/flight gear, Duke and Scarlett on individual cards unlocked at 13,000 backers
    • Cobra snakes on the plane hijack set of Cobra Commander, Cobra pilot(with flight gear and helmet) and Snake PIT crew member on individual cards unlocked at 14,000 backers.
    • Space equipment/add on parts for the Skystriker to take it into space like that 1 episode where Roadblock and crew took it into space. Includes Roadblock and the other joes who flew into space in that episode. Unlocked at 15,000 backers.
    • Maverick and Goose(using 1992 Ace mold) from Top Gun with their own canopy/vertical stabilizers/stickers unlocked at 16,000 backers
    • Iceman and Slider(using 1992 Ace mold) from Top Gun with their own canopy/vertical stabilizers/stickers unlocked at 17,000 backers.
    • Maverick and Rooster(using 1992 Ace mold with new helmets) from Top Gun: Maverick with their own canopy/vertical stabilizers/Darkstar markings & stickers
      unlocked at 18,000 backed
    Current backing count is at 6,691 so there’s been over a 100 units backed today compared to yesterday.

• Like Like x 2
  3. decepticonaiden

decepticonaiden Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Nothing rattling, at least not that I can think of. Don't have the figure on hand rn. There does seem to be sort of a soft detent, but it almost feels more like friction. In between the detent, it's super floppy. I'll provide a video when I can

4. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    See if it’s able to slide/shift forward horizontally before enabling the crunch. I remember it working differently compared to my other Classified figures.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

• Like Like x 4
  7. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Night Adder helmet is done still need to clear coat

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  8. Mr H

Mr H Old bot from Iacon...

Ebay:
  9. Bandit

Bandit Well-Known Member

I’m so tempted by the Skystriker but I truly have no room for it and the Conquest is my favorite Joe plane. I would really like to see a Classified Sky Hawk (prefer Ghost Hawk or a cool hybrid of the two designs) as I want Duke or Flint to have an aerial option.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MightyMegs

MightyMegs Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    • Like Like x 8
  11. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    Had mentioned before. Any one need one of these?

Attached Files:

12. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Got Classified Alpha Commandoes Snake Eyes and Timber. Right butterfly hinge was stuck for a bit but I was able to free it by cutting a glue seal with an Xacto knife. I was glad this set was made but had reservations about the head sculpt due to how it looked online. In person it’s fine, wish the visor was a little more forward as it looks flush against the face but that’s not a big deal. Also might cut the belt from the vest to see if that enables ab crunch(the belt should still be able to stay on the body).

Both are awesome figures to me. I like the barbell at the base of the neck/body that Classified figures have as it’s cleaner than the way it’s done on their other 6”+ lines(less visual gaps from all sides). Definitely feeling the course correction this year in the line and glad it’s winning back some of the older ARAH fans. It’s modern yet instantly recognizable. These figures are all that the 3.75 and 4” Joes never could be. For $20+ figures(talking the regular ones not the Alpha Commandos) you can get at mass retail, they offer a lot. That’s why they have appeal even beyond the Gijoe fandom. You arguably can’t get better 6”+ $20+ figures than this at mass retail, beyond that you have to go import. Sometimes it seems like Hasbro shoved Gijoe into a corner and ignored it but it’s pretty clear they arguably saved the best consistent articulation style of their 6”+ figures for Classified.

Would I buy a Sunbow repaint of this in blue and purple? If done well, maybe.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  14. mark4flair

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    But did the Amazon listing ever show up?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Johnny1378

Johnny1378 Well-Known Member

Anyone else still waiting on a Snake Eyes and Timber set from The Chosen Prime? Just curious. I know I’ve asked before, but it seems like that one has taken quite a while.

18. mark4flair

I don't believe so.

19. Bryan Thornton

Bryan Thornton Well-Known Member

Getting Of Collecting Sales Thread

I know some said they are looking for vipers still, and there is a cobra island trooper too in here. Not cost but may be less than scalpers. I dont know the op but I was perusing the sales threads and ran across this.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Yeah, swappable seat for Modern 4" Joes would have been a good call.

• Like Like x 1