The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Damn, sorry to hear about the breakage but thanks for the feedback! Any other parts made from the rubbery material?

2. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All the hands, chest harness, bandolier, pouches, pistol holster and knife sheath are made from the same material.

Just finished Snake Eyes. Overall, it's a decent kit, but there are definitely flaws with it. The biggest is definitely the ankles. That peg is on a very thin bit of plastic. The gun holding hands do, frankly, a piss-poor job of holding the guns. You can fake it well enough with the Tavor, the Uzi looks odd but passable, but don't even bother with the M9. The problem is a large block molded into the hand where the thumb joins the hand itself. I think it's there to put pressure on the thinner grip of the Tavor, but due to the shape of the Uzi's and M9's grip it pushes them out of position. The bandolier doesn't peg in anywhere and is the only way to mount both swords on Snake's back. There's a mounting point on the back of the belt, but the sword will be either horizontal to retain movement or pressing into Snake's back. I had to glue a few pieces to get them to stay, like the front of the chest harness and both forearms. The tabs on the harness kept popping out and the forearms kept splitting at the seam, allowing the wrist pouches to fall off. It uses the same kind of sword design as the Revoltech Deadpool. Fake swords for in the scabbards, another set to hold. The blades are really thin too, so there's a potential breakage to worry about.

All in all, considering the price it's a decent kit. But if they plan to continue this line past Storm Shadow, they're going to need iron out the kinks.

Hopefully Snake's bike won't have the same problems.

• Like Like x 4
  3. DeathDancer

DeathDancer Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    • Like Like x 2
  4. nilcam

nilcam Well-Known Member

Anyone interested in a Supreme Cobra Commander - new in box? I'm asking $55 shipped via priority mail.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh man…I hope we get Kwinn in the Classified line! The only figure we got was in a 2-pack with SE…

Nice but tbh I throw all my boxes…the climate in my country is too humid. Eventually white mould or dew will grow on them unless I clean/wipe the boxes on a regular basis.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Kwinn had an o-ring figure of his arctic deco in the comic 2-packs, but he also got a bermuda shorts single pack in the retaliation line. But yeah, I hope we get one or both versions in classified too.

TBH, I halfway expect we'll see Kwinn in the Super7 Ultimates first, as they seem more interested in cartoon/comic looks than Hasbro, and if you look at the S7 simpsons first wave, they're not afraid to do one-off, episode (or in this case, issue) specific figures too. But I'm confident somebody will make a 1:12ish-scale Kwinn... eventually. I'd love an all-comic Kwinn, Billy, Candy, Dr Venom wave just for the insanity of it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

Anyone selling or trading Cobra Island Troopers and Vipers, I still am looking for more.

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for clearing that up! I believe the O-ring Kwinn never made it to my country but the comic pack one was part of a bundle (with another comic pack that I didn’t want) where I had to pay $30…but oh well…I wanted Kwinn as I find him an interesting character.

9. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    That was the 3 pack with the arctic Snake Eyes and a Scarlett in white.

I’d like a classified one and would buy a 2 pack of him and arctic Snake Eyes.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SquishyOH

SquishyOH Votes MPG-07 = Mixmaster

I also got the Comic Pack to have Arctic Snake-Eyes and Kwinn. Also managed to get the core of the Oktober Guard in 3-3/4. Then the 25th line came out and it became too hard to track down Torch and the original 13. With that I got frustrated dropped collecting until Classified showed up (and even then I waited until these current waves to make sure I really wanted in). Funny how my Tomax and Xamot from that era have had O-ring failures, yet some of my original 1984 figures are still hanging in there (although I had Snowjob suspended and sometime in 2020 his legs fell off).

But Qwinn is a favorite of the comics. Also enjoyed the Dr. Venom backstory that Larry Hama added a couple years ago. With all the Cobra blue-shirts out there it would seem easy to make a Scar-Face head and have a store exclusive of some kind. The Hard Master and Soft Master are both creeping out of the comics and into other media so those would be nice. Lots of great figures still to add to this line but for some reason I got stuck on The Fridge last night. It looks like William Perry hasn't had the best of luck/health in the past 20 years, but he hasn't been convicted of anything. Wonder what the chances of some 3P getting his figure out there similar to Sgt Slaughter?

Warning, kids. Don't go into professional wrestling or the NFL. Seems too many folks leave unprepared for the rest of their lives.

• Like Like x 3
  11. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    Any heavy sport related trauma to the body is also not recommended as well @SquishyOH. ;) 

That saying, if anyone ordered anything from @Capirus' heads up a few days ago, there should be a notice form Hasbro that it's on the way.

12. Legate

Legate Plastic Crack Addict

No luck when the Trooper went back up on Pulse?

13. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    New short video from Hasbro, focus on the Ace and Wayne Ruthel prototypes for the Haslab Skystriker, then they brought out vintage samples of Zandar and Zarana and asked which other vintage figures you’d like to see rereleased(note they didn’t say Zandar and Zarana would be rereleased but seeing as they pointed those 2 out, who knows).
    Login • Instagram

Their presentation from Pulsecon was great. The subsequent videos I think are varying in focus. I think they should make a video comparing the Haslab Skystriker with the 1983 and 2011 versions emphasizing just how different it is. Why? Some of the commentary I’ve read states that it’s not much different from what we got in 1983/2011 and at 1st glance, sure I can see that.

Point out how much an MISB copy of a 1983 Skystriker would run you and compare what the Haslab release at $230 gets you even before the tiers are unlocked. It’s expensive no doubt but people should be sold on all that comes with the set and how much better the base mold is compared to its predecessors. Some are just seeing it as a redone Skystriker with more stuff. Not everyone watched the videos long enough to realize there’s separate levers now for wing sweep and landing gear(and in the videos it’s only briefly pointed out/demonstrated, very easy to overlook if you fast forwarded the videos).

I’m hoping it gets funded but I think the videos could be done better to really highlight all the work that was put into it and how much better it is compared to the 1983 and 2011 versions. I’m looking at it like “well damn if I wanted to make 1 into an F-14D all I would need is the make new engine nozzles!”. I know a comparative photo shoot is on the way after Thanksgiving but a video would drive the differences home even further. Hell maybe even something for Turkey day itself given that the Tomcat was nicknamed Turkey in the Navy due to its appearance during carrier landing approaches.

To further push the point, I would also make videos gauging interest/demand for other o ring ARAH figures separately. I think what the team is trying to do is subliminally attract o ring fans through the Skystriker videos when videos could be made for them separately(especially since the Skystriker is a crowdfunded effort with 2 weeks to go at this point).

• Like Like x 4
  14. Arishikage

Arishikage Well-Known Member

Probably not. I know I'm still getting the "you've already ordered the maximum quantity of (1)".

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

At this point in our lives for most of us, we all should own at least on ARAH Skystriker in very good condition and complete. This Haslabs Skystriker (imo it was the wrong choice to do the entry haslabs offering, as there are a few big ticket Cobra never made before ships from ARAH to be made), while it is a bit overpriced (Hasbro should of said all four tiers are included at 12k backers, you have to factor in shipping is included, it's a new mold, it's a great first attempt and we should support it. I am buying two, maybe three, but it's be over twenty years since I bought something I did not have from the ARAH line. We asked for the return of o-rings, we need to show support, the Joe team does listen to us when we voice our anger (cough, cough Cobra Island Classifieds), this first step could lead to a lot of wanted ARAH items.

16. Enewtabie

Enewtabie One of the Four Rejecticons...

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    Very cool set. Impressive pieces.

• Like Like x 1
  17. nilcam

nilcam Well-Known Member

I wonder if the Skystriker will by funded. It's looking iffy.

18. ChucklesLastLaugh

ChucklesLastLaugh Undercover so long, they all forgot who I work for

Yikes, really?

Maybe I can get one to help out. I'll try, but I've got the ARAH, a 30th, the SDCC Jetfire, and the black one with custom stickers AKA the Cobra Reaper all hanging from my ceiling as is.

Gotta see when the end date is and everything though. I was gonna pass. Looks great though.

19. Agent Prime 2814

Agent Prime 2814 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    it looks like only the proton pack is getting made...the rancor lost backers after the stream. And the skystriker is just not appealing to joe collectors as lots moved on to classified or would prefer the more modern scale and not go back to o-ring things. And the 2011 filled that need for a skystriker at like 1/8 the cost. I hope those who want it get it funded but it was an easy pass for me. No desire to go back to o rings. I need to sell my old collection as is. Live in the present and look to the future.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ChucklesLastLaugh

ChucklesLastLaugh Undercover so long, they all forgot who I work for

About the Haslab Skystriker...

Do you know if you order two jets, does that count as two "backers" or is that only one?

Are all the extra "unlockable" figures going to be free add ons, or is it an option where you have to pay extra for those if they unlock and you want to add them?