The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    GI Joe doesn't seem to deal with normal waves like we're used to. Like I still have no idea why there seems to be a million Cobra commanders packaged with Flint and Jaye.

• Like Like x 1
  2. decepticonaiden

decepticonaiden Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I'm also not gonna rule out some type of reverse placebo effect where I think it's looser when it's not

As far as I'm aware from heating it up myself, the joint the hand attaches to is a little ring, and the hand has nubs that cling onto it. So, I feel like your option should work. The thing is, though, is that idk if it'll give it the detents

• Like Like x 1
  3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Well hopefully they'll be compatible with the newer 25th anniversary and after figures. Maybe they figured 3 3/4 is still their biggest market, and judging by the reaction - it's already 30% funded in less than 24 hours, guess a lot of people are happy with it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That’s awesome. I don’t expect Hasbro to cater to me specifically but you know it’s weird when you look at the other Haslab releases is what I am saying. All new sculpting huge pieces, and Joe fans get a reprinted 40 yearold jet. I guess when you’re treated like shit for years anything feels like a victory. I mean Joe fans are happy to pay $50 for a classified figure on eBay for a shortpacked Target exclusive.

• Like Like x 3
  5. BW megatron

BW megatron tiran

I only see overexpensive and unoptainable item, pathetic marketing ploys and starved fans.

At least they fixed the missile attachments.

O ring was nice in the 80's, Retro line has better articulation standards now.

6. Legate

Legate Plastic Crack Addict

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. Maglite

Maglite Porkchop sandwiches!

I was leaning towards not getting it as well until I saw what it all looked like. I think it's going to bring some really weird (and great) energy to a Classified display.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

I don’t follow the leaks, so I was floored by Croc Master. That’s the era of gi Joe I got in at. I never expected to see him! Now it has me dreaming of Big Boa!

• Like Like x 6
  9. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I always liked Raptor.

I bet they could do something cool for him.

• Like Like x 5
  10. northjason

northjason Well-Known Member

Add me to the list of confused and bewildered RE: the Skystriker. I mean, the whole reason retro items getting a re-release is so cool is because you DON'T have to pay the price of the vintage item in the collector's market. I get that there are new molds and engineering--but same was true for the Real Ghostbusters, FANG, HISS, etc. At $230, I'mma go buy a vintage something or other.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Actually I think it’s the opposite. I think they thought an anniversary year was the best time to target o ring fans specifically. Hasbro hasn’t wanted to make new o-ring joes since the mid-2000s due to rising costs. Guessing that using ABS and the pins/rivets needed plays a part in that. They’ve shown that they prefer using PVC primarily for making Gijoe figures and with PVC construction they use less or no metal(25th/modern joes had metal t bars for the hips and screws for legs but the new Walmart retro joe molds don’t use any metal). I am surprised the o ring joes were chosen instead of the recent Walmart retro style but given that it’s an anniversary year and being a celebratory throwback, I think that’s the reason they went o ring and felt it had a chance at Haslab more than a retailer like Walmart. So knowing that mass retail might not pick this up in the numbers they want or pick it up at all, I think that’s why they resorted to Haslab. Maybe this is their way of gauging demand for future o ring releases to probably be released at mass retail if the orders(for this and that Storm Shadow/Snake Eyes V1 set) are much higher than expected.

Though at this point I think their ultimate game plan might be to gauge enough reaction to pull the trigger on a Haslab USS Flagg for 2024. Maybe that’s actually what they were planning 1st but wanted jets out at retail 1st(need aircraft for an aircraft carrier after all), then maybe retailers didn’t want the jets so they resorted to Haslab for the Skystriker. Just a theory.

If the Haslab Skystriker isn’t 25th compatible I think it’s likely due to not having any room(there’s barely any room in the 2011 release for 2 modern joes if you cut away the entire seat and just leave the head rest section which needs to stay on to connect to the main fuselage). You can easily fit 2 old ARAH joes but it’s tricky with modern joes. The nose on the Haslab skystriker also looks shorter so I wonder if there’s less room. Each seat has a back peg for o ring Joes though so I do wonder if it’s actually compatible if you were to cut the pegs off(I would’ve thought they would just use clips on the seats like some of the later ARAH joe seats).

That’s completely understandable. I do highly doubt the complete package would’ve made it to retail even as an exclusive. Probably stripped down to 1 figure, 6 missles, no stand, no effect parts and maybe 1 parachute but not made out of cloth. Or possibly just a repaint of the 2011 release unchanged but that’s if Walmart would even carry it, they didn’t carry it 10 years ago.

With regards to new molds based on old like the retro FANG and HISS, the FANG is all new but lacks the proportions of the original(and looks smaller) and for some reason costs more than the 25th anniversary one which was all new or highly retooled and looked closer to the original. The HISS has some minor retooling under the cannons but primarily using the 25th style retool to enable modern joes to fit.

The Haslab Skystriker by comparison has a lot more retooling going on(even compared to the 2011 release) that the entire main body is new. Initially I thought maybe some of the new gimmicks could be retrofitted on the old 1983 and 2011 molds but there’s no room, it had to be redesigned to physically incorporate it all(like the opening compartment to the side that you can insert some accessory from that rolling cart or something, the all new lever mechanism for the landing gear, the swappable hardpoints, et al).

A straight up repaint of the 2011 skystriker I would think would be $60-80 but given that Walmart has stuck with small vehicles for Gijoe, I do have my doubts they would carry it. Take into account, I think it would sell but I don’t work for Walmart and they haven’t been the greatest at supporting Gijoe through the years.

I do hope the Haslab Skystriker is sold eventually without all the extras at mass retail. The 2 part canopy and separate wing/landing gear levers are enticing to me as it’s not easy modding the previous versions to mod the canopy that way(and if you mod the wing mechanism to enable separate wing sweep from the landing gear, the front landing gear remains loose, I haven’t come up with a permanent modification to my liking for that).

• Like Like x 4
  12. Sandman0079

Sandman0079 Well-Known Member

I don't like too much the Retro Fang, but is distinctly larger. It has just a tail shorter by a notch.
    [​IMG]
    As for the Skystriker i would have loved a new version without all the extra baggage because i am not interested in most of the things added to justify the pricetag. However i agree with you regarding the necessity to use Haslab for it. That said it ignited my interest in customizing my spare vintage one with some extra details.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Mr H

Mr H Old bot from Iacon...

Ebay:
    Classified series so far, courtesy of captain mal on HissTank

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 24
  14. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wish instead of 1/18 scale Skystriker we got a multipack of Classified scale vehicles like CLAWS and Trouble Bubbles.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Johnny1378

Johnny1378 Well-Known Member

Pretty cool seeing them all together like that. Looks like he left out Deluxe Snake Eyes and that Deluxe Cobra Commander exclusive that they released in the Gold and Black color scheme.

• Like Like x 2
  16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’m behind the news…Hasbro isn’t releasing a regular B.A.T? Just the Python Patrol version first right?

17. Sandman0079

Python Patrol B.A.T. just got on preorder first and it's a Target and Pulse exclusive. Regular B.A.T. will be on preorder later (possibly from the next fan Friday) and it's a normal release. The package was not revealed and that's why is missing from the collage above.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  18. MachoGrande

MachoGrande Well-Known Member

Preordered Storm Shadow, Spirit and Outback. No interest in the Python Patrol decos. Didn’t order Crocmaster either. It’s cool looking but I have no connection to the original. Maybe I’ll change my mind when I see it in person.

Skipping Haslab Skystriker. I can’t fathom why they’d launch a project that doesn’t support Classified.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sandman0079

Possibly because it would be something with an higher price tag and management wants to test the waters first.

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks! Appreciate the update! Joes aren’t popular in my part of the world and I have ask my import stores if they can bring in Joes related stuff and I have provide info etc! LOL!