The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, I vastly prefer the original and more realistic Viper rifle. It's iconic to their look just as much as their face plated helmet and goggles combo.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    It's that the rifle actually makes sense and feels like a rifle that could exist. The forward grip's shape even exists in real life. I mean I don't like it either, but the shaping of it is pretty much the curve of the Hera Arms CQR front grip. Heavy duty thumbhole stock reminiscent of bullpup rifles like the F2000 and Tavor. It's got a magazine, long barrel, looking like carbine length, and it has an integrated sighting unit like the F2000 and the OICW concept rifle. A very believable sci-fi gun that's based off design elements from real guns. The only other gun that gets close to looking good, IMHO, is Duke's gun which is effectively an energy rifle version of an M4A1.

I'm gonna gun nerd it out a bit but the classic Viper rifle is anything but realistic. TWO magazines, or one magazine and a battery pack? The forward magazine...or is it a grip...longer than the hand grip of the rifle? Talk about a major snag issue. Gonna snag on straps, gonna snag on your vest, your gear. You can't go prone with it nearly as well because the tall profile of it sticks the rifle up high. If it is a magazine then the barrel length is so short that it's no better than an SMG at best because of how little barrel whatever it shoots is coming out from.

Objectively the Classified Viper rifle is much more realistic than the classic rifle.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

I stand by my opinion that it’s a jumbled mess designed by someone who knows nothing about guns. They took inspiration from real designs without knowing what or how the stuff works and just mashed them together. No way a real gun ends up looking like that unless it’s a joke of some sort. Not a huge deal and fine if you like it. I’m really enjoying the Little Armory weapons I’m using since they are highly detailed models of actual real weapons with real configurations. Mainly, they just look better to me and are fun to build.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I give it a pass because it's sci-fi. I mean, veterans of the 40s and 50s said the same things about guns of the 60s and 70s. I would argue that the fallacy here is that we expect that GI Joe NEEDS to use real weapons. I think it's clear that with the exceptions of probably the pistols, Flint's shotgun, and Gung Ho's grenade launcher, that these weapons are direct energy weapons.

Putting on my sci-fi hat, a direct energy weapon is going to have different needs and wants than a gun firing bullets. I would argue that a dumber gun is Flint's shotgun. The break is so close to the grip that the action could not feasibly work. It's fake as shit. But yea the Viper rifle makes sense. If you've ever taken down a Tavor, or familiar with the recoil action of the Kriss Vector, the idea that the Viper rifle could fire bullets is absolutely something that makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  5. protohuman

protohuman Save the whales

You summed up the Classified gun design process pretty accurately.
    Every time I think about modifying a gun from the line I look for places to cut where a component of a gun could be relocated but soon realize the whole layout is too ef'd and the grip is typically in the wrong place.
    I give all the scifi guns to the Cobras and give my Joes realistic weapons.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mr H

Mr H Old bot from Iacon...

Ebay:
    I think you solved the mystery of the weapon that Commando Snake Eyes came with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  7. Bandit

Bandit Well-Known Member

My Viper is floppy. He’s going to get a Future bath this weekend for the hips joints and his neck. That head flipped right off the minute I moved it. Wish the stock of the rifle was thinner so we could hold it against his body more easily. Otherwise, the design is great and Future should correct my problems. Very happy with a single figure of him as he will be Cobra’s primary assassin once paired with Baroness’ cycle.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    18776127-2DB5-4B1E-9376-A2E53D55E76E.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  9. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Thank god I had to wake up ass early for work today. Managed to grab one more Viper on Target. Bringing me up to 6. Wonderful!

Just so happy that Target has truly come through with Cobra Island. Couldn't be happier.

• Like Like x 5
  10. nilcam

nilcam Well-Known Member

The Viper I ordered Friday was switched to back order so I cancelled. It's a chill figure but one is enough for me. It's Cobra Infantry; it's always been Cobra Infantry.

• Like Like x 1
  11. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm more upset at the obvious miss aligned legs on the Viper. Red padding on the inside and outside split in half, don't make no sense. Also while I have an idea for a Modern Scrap Iron I kinda feel like he's just a Viper with a Diff head sculpt

• Like Like x 1
  12. Billy Hoyle

Billy Hoyle Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 5
  13. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am safe to assume there hasn’t been a go date for the Hascon stuff yet.

14. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Yeah, and to my knowledge they haven't officially announced an actual date for Pulsecon itself either.

15. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    :lol  I take it a pony tailed guy took her place?

Anyway, I haven't found any new G.I. Joes in stores yet. (Movie or mainline) Fine by me honestly, because I picked up two Ultrons for me.

16. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Yes. With a really bad beard. They no longer really stock anything cool. Even with being a 'prestige' store.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    (Apples for all the embedded vids, not sure how to make em just links)

I had a look at some of the YouTube interviews for super7 power rangers ultimates, which look the closest to their joes of the various properties, and they have ball jointed waists as well as the ab crunch:

(
    ). I’d love it if the joes had the same, but not sure if that’s the case or not. In this vid/time stamp:

it looks like maybe? But it could just be the nature of the resin proto. And it looks like the bat at least has a rocker waist joint (though no torso cut, obvs):

Not sure if the way he phrases it means just the bat or not though. Toying around is a great channel that I hadn’t previously come across!

They also said in the power rangers interview they’d really worked hard with the engineers to get the most range possible out of the single elbows:

(
    ), which I hope is the same for the joes. The joes look like they might have more range in the hips compared to the rangers though.

Pretty stoked for these guys in any case!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Mumble-bee

Mumble-bee invertebrate lurker

I checked my UPS account to see what the status was of my Baroness toy and it had been delivered ten minutes before. yay!
    (I'll probably get a notification in about an hour.)

• Like Like x 3
  19. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

What cobra logos are you guys using for your Fwoosh Storm Shadows?

20. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Finally got around to opening my Viper and it was missing the bandana. Target issued a refund for the missing part, so I ended up getting the Viper for free. Anyone know of any repro makers that might have made a copy of the bandana?

• Like Like x 2