The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Wheeljoker

Wheeljoker Well-Known Member

I stopped at Target this afternoon and they did have 4 Cobra Commander on the pegs..because somebody somewhere may not have him yet.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Clearly, this is just part of Cobra's latest ploy towards their goal of world domination!

• Like Like x 6
  3. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

I sold my SHF SF collection and 2 more S7 Bats were the 1st things I bought.

From the interviews I've listened to, it sounds like Brian has like +or- 36 figures or 9 waves already planned out. Factor in 3 more troop builders and that's over 40 figures if you do 2-3 of the troopers plus the single figures.

My hope for this line is that they really concentrate on the Sunbow toon (mass device - 87' movie) with all the main heels, faces, and troopers, don't waste any of the first 30 or so spots on any DIC series or obscure characters. Leave that stuff as exclusive or outside of the main wave releases, ala the bbts glow-in-the-dark Mumra.

Anyway, just my thoughts as I'm really looking forward to these figures.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

I just showed my kids pictures of the movie figures. They both said they liked the movie figures but they like the figures I already have more. My daughter explained that the movie figures both look like they have more high tech armor but Snake Eyes looks too skinny and Storm Shadow looks better because it looks more like Storm Shadow. My son just said he like all the Snake Eyes but likes the ones we have better. So yeah, if I see them on major clearance of around the $5 I mentioned, I’ll probably get them.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    The scary thing though would be corporate using the film’s performance as a reason to cut down again on the GI Joe toyline’s development.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That would be incredibly short sighted considering classified is routinely sold out AND they currently have an animated series in development.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Yeah, I don't see this affecting anything except future movie plans. Classified should have proven that it can stand on its own to the Hasbro brass at this point. If it hasn't they're damned short-sighted.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Slave IV

Funny thing earlier today my daughter saw the Retro Duke figure and asked “why does Duke look so funny and weird?”:p 

84AB77BC-A4F9-4985-AEA5-FD9945C84C3E.jpeg

Lol, it’s got to be not only the worst looking but one of the worst figures period made in a long time.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

What are all the Hadbro's fan first Joe events for? Many have tried to voice there opinions and if the people who conduct said events, do not bring or show the stream to upper management, then as I have said before, those people need to be replaced by competent employees. The film box office numbers should not correlate to the Classifieds line future production with regard to creating non-film releases. Hasbrouck should of said to Paramount that a new Joe based film should be loosely based on the comic or TV show. Larry Hama should of wrote the story and worked with a good screen writer to produce a script that the target audience of 30+ year old viewers. Disney failed with Star Wars, but finally realized who the key target audience is and is trying to course correct, Hasbro needed to do the same with ARAH Joe.

10. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Successful as a brand BECAUSE of the Bayverse movies. Unless you forget or not realize, Transformers was in a pretty poor state before the films revitalized the franchise. The A/E/C trilogy wasn't exactly money making material for Hasbro nor Takara.

11. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No it wasn't, that's revisionist history. The 2007 movie made the franchise much more successful, but the franchise was plenty successful and alive prior to the movies. There was a small blip of a decline during Beast Machines, but RID01 started a steady upswing of popularity for the line that remained consistent throughout the Unicron Trilogy and is part of the reason we even got a movie in the first place.

• Like Like x 3
  12. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

That’s not accurate, but even if it were it reflects the huge difference between Joe and TF — Transformers had all of those iterations in the market, continuously, up to the movies and then beyond. Transformers had existing and successful iterations that had their own significant niche.

Joe has had virtually nothing in the market for a decade.

• Like Like x 2
  13. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Wow, that's one hell of a revisionist history.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wouldn’t be the 1st, nor 2nd time this has happened.

I’ve seen the actual sales bar graphs(don’t remember where). Armada trilogy did well but the 2007 movie toyline sold exponentially more, how much more was pretty shocking.

Should note that even back in those years, there was an effort to make some new form of joe at least 2-3x before ROC. Thing is, what does well for Transformers doesn’t and didn’t mean the same would bode well for Gijoe. Transformers wasn’t reliant on movies to sell, fans know Gijoe isn’t either but Hasbro suits insist that Gijoe needs a movie to carry it.

GI Joe cartoons and toy lines from 2002-2006 were selling but not as well as Transformers. A new 3.75 continuation of the 2002-2006 lines named Robot Rebellion was in the works prior to Sigma 6. The 3.75” line wasn’t doing bad at the time but it was said that Walmart had requested a switch up to a different scale, hence the development of Sigma 6. Some of what was meant for Robot Rebellion IIRC made its way into the DTC line.

TBH, the 3.75 lines probably would’ve done better had they used the old style ARAH bodies rather than making new ones. The “new sculpt” Joe’s of 2002-2006 suffered from inconsistent and incorrect proportions. Some of this didn’t get rectified until the last wave of the Valor VS Venom lines. 1 of the reasons for the shift was for cost reduction(plastic pins being cheaper than metal pins/rivers) + originally no o-ring(only added in starting with wave 2 of the 2002 GI Joe vs Cobra line). The shift from original t-crotch designs converted to o-ring bodies made for some glaringly disproportionate bodies. Whereas the old ARAH bodies were almost always proportionate unless they had a built-in spring gimmick(like some of Ninja Force).

On the retail end, the 25th line and Sigma 6 weren’t what killed retail support, it was actually ROC. Hasbro raised MSRP in an effort to cash in more profit on movie hype and surprisingly/uncharacteristically even admitted publicly later on that this was a mistake. Another mistake was shelving the non-movie lines for ROC. Domino effect with the ROC line also tanking overseas to the point where POC wasn’t distributed on the same markets that ROC was.

Maybe Hasbro wised up since the Snake Eyes Origins line is small and there’s only 5 figures from the movie in the Classified line.

Not even sure. The team members and freelancers who post about the work they’ve done on Classified have far more informative posts and the stuff people actually want to see compared to said Joe events.

This is very likely since Brian Flynn stated in an interview that as a licensor, he has to be careful about not stepping on Hasbro’s toes. Given that Hasbro isn’t making 7” Joes nor isn’t going Sunbow gives S7 an opportunity to fill that gap.

• Like Like x 4
  15. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'll take my lumps, fair enough. I'm going with my memory here, as fallable as that is.

Either way, that particular point isn't necessarily important. The important takeaway is that Transformers wouldn't be where it is today without the success of the movies. I think it's not much of an argument to say that had it not been for the movies, then Transformers likely wouldn't be as big or strong of a Hasbro brand had the movies not been a thing...or made as much money as they did.

But again the specific datapoint isn't...the point anyways. At the end of the day, I'm not trying to cheerleader Snake Eyes. Hell, I was very dubious about it myself. I just don't think Paramount can do a GI Joe movie and do it well. I would even go on and say that GI Joe movie that isn't along the lines of Mission Impossible for espionage or Expendables for action is a recipe for disaster.

I mean do I think Hasbro thinks a movie is the right way to go? Sure. A corporation only looks as far as their successes for ways to move forward, for how backwards that can be sometimes. Maybe Hasbro thinks the third times the charm. But I mean, as someone who WANTS Joe to succeed do we really think only having us 30+ year old fans buying this stuff, the only people carrying the torch, is a sustainable model?

It already feels like Hasbro was banking on this movie to not necessarily be good but to make gangbusters at the box office. While I don't think this means immediate death, destruction of everything we love and hold dear, it does make me wonder about the future.

We're dealing with an emergent brand, not one of Hasbro's tentpole brands. GI Joe is doing well now but what about two, three years down the line? Will we 30+'s still have the energy to carry the torch, and will Hasbro still think it's financially viable to prop up a line that isn't selling as much as other lines? Again, not saying this is definitive but something to consider. That's why I at least advocated giving this movie a chance. It's already a dud but I'm going to at least try to catch it in the theaters..if anything because I haven't been in one in a year.

This all kinda goes back to my OP...no, even had the movie been successful it's unlikely that Classified would've killed it's classic inspired designs for more movie ones. Even if they did, if history has shown it would've been temporary as once all the Movie stuff rolls out int he first two or three waves, then classic stuff pretty much fills up the remainder of the line until the next one hits.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    A lot of people did that the 1st 2 times. You want a new generation to get into Joes, then Hasbro make its way into the stuff they’re playing with. Hasbro has a Fortnite Snake Eyes on the way and a 6” Fortnite line on the way with some of the team from Classified working on it. Convince the developers to make more joe skins for the game and more figures and bam, now you have their attention.

There is a cartoon on development planned for at least 2 seasons, maybe that’ll give the outreach the suits want, I don’t know. Joes have tended to sell regardless of media tie-ins even in the 90’s before ARAH died out, that’s something that has always stuck out to me. ARAH to me, partially died in the 90’s because corporate dictated that it try to be every other action figure line except for Gijoe, the whole “change with the times” thing which backfired. Instead of sticking out it blended in with all the other neon toy lines with spring loaded gimmicks.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Slave IV

That last part is part of the problem. People haven’t been to the theaters in over a year and even as a Joe fan and Snake Eyes being one of my top three favorite characters of all time, I’m not going back to the theaters to see this movie. If I were to go to the theaters, I’d probably watch almost anything else out over GI Joe. The other thing is every other successful movie that has been out in theaters has also been available on a premium streaming service at the same time. Not only is this movie not on any streaming service at all, it’s only going to be on Paramount’s own service over a month later. Who has that service? If anyone does, it’s probably a 5th tier at best service. All this makes this movie doomed beyond doomed.

Transformers movies are horrible too. Just keep making toys based on the original comics and shows and let them do well like they usually do and leave the movie business alone, Hasbro.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fc203

Fc203 #RestoreTheBayVerse

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Has anyone seen a fix (read: shortening) for movie Baroness' neck? I'm willing to slice it apart, I just don't want to be "the experimental surgeon figuring it out for the first time". (and I won't buy the figure if it's not really fixable---the neck is just deal-killingly ridiculously long).

PS----I actually enjoyed the movie and am glad I saw it in a theater.

20. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    What's tough here is that on the corporate side, Hasbro is really trying to capture lightining in a bottle for GI Joe like they did Transformers - and it's no easy feat. Transforming robots is just so much easier to sell to kids than action figures with accessories. It may be easier to try and build up Joe again thru a cartoon than it is to push a movie - because as it is, Transformers still had a bunch of kids who grew through BW and RID/UT before the movie hit, GI Joe only has two bad movies and Renegades, which wasn't as available as the TF toons.

• Like Like x 1