The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Legate

Legate Plastic Crack Addict

That... doesn't necessarily follow. Wave 1 saw general release, which included Wal-Mart. It seems more probable it got dug up from the back of a storeroom somewhere.

2. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Instagram:
    7209F4DC-9B99-43F3-BF45-D6D6BD377A8D.jpeg
    D3BE4E39-A1A0-461E-9D44-718D24717C7C.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 20
  3. Legate

• Like Like x 1
  4. Johnny1378

Johnny1378 Well-Known Member

I suppose it could be possible. For what it’s worth, there was a wave 1 Snake Eyes directly behind it on the peg. No other wave 1 figures though. I think the only other figure there was Cobra Commander.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Robots78

Robots78 Robotanist

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    8BF49497-B6DC-46B6-991C-F33215FDCD25.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  6. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Sadly, I'm all in on Classified, One:12, and Super7 Joes. It's hard to believe that after a decade of begging for large-scale joes, we're now getting three lines. It's nuts! I don't want to have to collect three separate lines, but I have no doubt I'll do it. And I know many of you will too. Some will quietly grumble about it. Others will say "NO!" and then cave later and grumble about the secondary prices of the figures they skipped. But a good chunk of Joes fans, if they can afford it, will get them all.

Personally, I'm hoping one of the lines proves to be distinctly better or distinctly droppable. I suspect Classified will be collected by most everyone, especially now that all the rage-quitters over the CI figures have had another crack at them. One:12 will be one that gets cherry-picked the most, because they cost the most and b/c cloth goods aren't the best looking on 6" figures. If it weren't for the awesome heads and accessories, One:12 would be the least "must-have", IMO.

Super7... they cost more than classified, but if they're truly sunbow accurate, it'll have a big draw. I too liked the comic more and consider Hama's story to be the "official" story of Joe. Those comics were so good, and the art was stellar (full credit to Herb Trimpe, Rod Whigham, and Ron Wagner for such amazing story-telling). That being said, I loved the cartoon too, and many of those looks are as iconic as anything from the toy or comic (e.g. I like Lady Jady's uniform and lack of hat in the 'toon far more than the toy's day-glow jumpsuit). But the big thing the toon added was the voices. Even when I read the comics, I hear the iconic sunbow voices in my head. Imagine reading Destro, Shipwreck, Flint, or CC and hearing anything but those voice actors... can't be done. ;) 

• Like Like x 9
  7. protohuman

protohuman Save the whales

My qc issues were rectified by Hasbro within 24hours. If you have mold defects or sloppily glues torsos which limit articulation id give it a try. Everyone else, I recommend Tamiya hobby paints and kleenex.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Legate

Not to enable you or contribute to the abuse of your wallet, but...
    No ThreeZero? G.I. Joe FigZero Snake Eyes 1/6 Scale Collectible Figure

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mumble-bee

Mumble-bee invertebrate lurker

having worked in retail, I prefer to remember that people suck. ;) 

but now we're going off topic, so never mind.

I got my 2nd Trooper on Monday. Firefly arrives tomorrow, supposedly (FedEx says "transferred to USPS"; USPS says "what are you even talking about")
    to 'catch up" my collection I ordered CC, Lady Jaye and Zartan from Pulse yesterday. Flint is presently still available from Amazon, I just gotta find another thing to get free shipping.
    Then I have to pick a place to get Destro, Gung-Ho and some Troopers from, but also prob have to wait until my wallet stops being mad at me. :oops: 

10. harrisongibb

harrisongibb Well-Known Member

Three cheers for this whole post but especially singling out Herb Trimpe, Rod Whigham, and Ron Wagner, who are really unsung heroes in comics. Whigham has done covers for Hama's IDW return and I pine for full interiors.

Also, Michael Bell, Neil Ross, Chris Latta, Gregg Berger, Bill Ratner--- I just learned that Keone 'Storm Shadow' Young voiced Commander Sato in Star Wars: Rebels. Along with Cullen and Welker and Allan Oppenheimer and Mary McDonald-Lewis and on and on, these voices narrated a lot of childhoods. They're permanently embedded in my neural pathways, just as representative of the characters they portrayed as any visual.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Where did you pick up your Storm Shadow?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  13. F For Fake

F For Fake Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Assuming it is a Sunbow line, I am all about it. I'll buy them all. I'll sell the house. I'll sell the cat. Doesn't matter. Give it to me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

My concern with the S7 Ultimates, is how slowly they appear to come out. And then it seems that S7 moves on to the next shiny franchise (my perspective- I may be totally off, since I don’t buy a lot of S7 products). I don’t collect TMNT, so I don’t know how many of those they’ve done, but the rest of ThunderCats feel like they are taking forever. So I kinda feel like we’re gonna see like 4 Ultimate Joes, and then crickets.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    They do have delays but I’d much rather they push things back to get things right rather than to speed things up. Having just recently just paid more for some other shit that definitely ought to have been delayed to ensure better quality across the board, I think delays are a worthwhile compromise for better quality. That’s just me though. At least S7 aftermarket support tends to be good from what I heard.

• Like Like x 2
  16. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Haha, I'm aware of the threezero stuff. I have no interest in 12" figures. Too much money, too much space, too much like barbie scale. The bigger they get, the harder it is to refute when someone calls them "dolls".

They are indeed firmly imbedded in my brain. I still perk up when I hear Bill Ratner trying to sell me a Hyundai. "Why is Flint trying to sell me a Korean car?!"

• Like Like x 4
  17. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I don’t disagree. I also think that’s a blessing in disguise, honestly. That way I know I wouldn’t be on the hook for a bunch of Classified releases as well as a bunch of S7 stuff all at the same time this year. Their Silverhawks stuff won’t be out until next year sometime. So any Ultimates Joe stuff they might put up for PO in the near future probably won’t actually show up until next Spring or Summer. And it will probably only be 4 figures at that time at that, I’m guessing. At least the budgeting will be easier.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Yeah, typically S7 puts their stuff up for pre-order way in advance and they only release about four figures in a wave per line. So they're a lot easier to budget for in that sense.

Also, Thundercats is the only line that's experienced a massive delay (there have been minor delays with other lines) but Brian has addressed the issue with the second wave of Thundercats having to do with the fact that those were being done at a Mattel factory so Thundercats wave two keeps getting pushed for Mattel's own production. Because of this wave, three was moved to one of their own factories and will be releasing before wave two now. And despite some cooky conspiracy theories I've read online this seems to be confirmed to be the truth given that we've now got in package product samples surfacing for wave three while wave two is still in limbo and unfortunately has been pushed back to the end of the year (and will likely release alongside wave four and the wave one reissues).

• Like Like x 3
  19. MachoGrande

MachoGrande Well-Known Member

For me, 1/12 scale figures are desk fodder. And for that experience, I'm willing to pay only so much. Classified feels like the evolution of ARAH collecting and provides a good combo of price, detail and articulation. Not saying I won't pick up any Super7, but seeing that their simple, animation-accurate aesthetic doesn't fit anywhere in my collection, I'm likely to be even more selective than I am with Classified.

I have no interest in Mezco. $100 a throw for wonky proportions, ill-fitting cloth goods and no shelf presence? I'll put that money toward my 1/6 collection.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I think your post is a good example of how it’s good we have options. Imagine if Hasbro didn’t license out and the Classified and Walmart retro lines were all that we were getting. The brand is big enough and there’s enough demand to justify licensing out, so at least on that front, Hasbro isn’t holding back.

• Like Like x 3